Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,850

2 members and 2,848 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Thermostat Probe Placement with RHP

Hey all. Still trying to make sure I do all of this RHP stuff correct in my animal plastics T10. I am seeing a variety of probe placements on youtube. Some people put it on the cool side, others on the hot side. Others near the panel. Others near the ground. I don't want to drill a hole for the probe, until I know for sure where I should be placing it. Suggestions/advice greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! <3
    Follow along on Poe's adventures on instagram: @poe.the.python

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I bought both of my current setups that use RHPs second hand. But both have the tstat probe about an inch or two below the RHP. Once I got everything dialed in I haven't touched a thing, just daily checks to make sure everything is functioning properly.

I know there are more than one placement option, but I'm happy with my current setups. Not sure if it's the "best" way or not, but I have no complaints.

Thanks

Re: Thermostat Probe Placement with RHP

Quote Originally Posted by wonderwhitters View Post
    Hey all. Still trying to make sure I do all of this RHP stuff correct in my animal plastics T10. I am seeing a variety of probe placements on youtube. Some people put it on the cool side, others on the hot side. Others near the panel. Others near the ground. I don't want to drill a hole for the probe, until I know for sure where I should be placing it. Suggestions/advice greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! <3
    I have two T10s and both use an RHP. I have the probe hanging on the warm side under the RHPs. One of the probes is through a hole I drilled and the other is coming in where the power cord comes into the enclosure. My advice would be to 'temporarily' tape the probe to different locations inside the enclosure and take your temps. Once you have settled on the location which best gives you the temps you need, you can then decide if you need to drill a hole or route the probe through a pre-existing hole.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    I have two T10s and both use an RHP. I have the probe hanging on the warm side under the RHPs. One of the probes is through a hole I drilled and the other is coming in where the power cord comes into the enclosure. My advice would be to 'temporarily' tape the probe to different locations inside the enclosure and take your temps. Once you have settled on the location which best gives you the temps you need, you can then decide if you need to drill a hole or route the probe through a pre-existing hole.
    Just a friendly reminder.... No tape ever inside an enclosure....assuming the animal is in it. But if you're getting it set up and dialed in prior to moving the snake then obviously tape is fine.

I'm sure that's what was meant, but just wanted to clear that up just in case.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (05-18-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I go middle of the heat panel an drill 5" above the substrate. Then bring the probe 3" above the substrate. I calk the hole an if the snake is a beast I'll hot glue the cord to hold the probe. Don't hot glue the probe.

On few of my T-10 I run a second panel. It was easier to get the correct temps in the room.

Good luck!

Registered User littlemaxbigworld's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    I have a question about your AP tanks! Do you have sliding or swing doors? I’ve been curious to know with sliding doors if BPs have ever / are commonly known to manage to slide a door open and go for their own adventure? I have a T8 coming with sliding doors (their quick ship is SO much faster than their current 16-20 week turn around) but no cage lock and I don’t know if I’ll need one to keep her in her enclosure.

Thanks

I am using the sliding doors with a key lock and I think it's going to work perfectly! No change of my boy escaping this!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you all for the advice! Much appreciated!! <3
    Follow along on Poe's adventures on instagram: @poe.the.python