Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,194

0 members and 3,194 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

New Setup Causing Problems (maybe?)

So about four days ago I did a "tank transformation" for my ball python's terrarium. I gave him a new coco fiber substrate (where I had previously been using paper towels), a more protective hide, and LOTS more plants. The whole transformation is posted on my thread "Leviathan's Progress Thread."

However, I've noticed that my snake now seems reluctant to come out at night. During the day he basically goes back and forth from his cold hide to hide to his hot hide like normal, but he seems reluctant to leave his hides. I don't understand this, because I added so many new plants and would think it would encourage him to come out more often since he has more cover.

Knowing myself, I might be stressing over nothing and maybe he's just acclimating to the new setup, but what do you guys think?
    Hot side is set to 90*
    Humidity on the cool side has been in the low 70%s (a bit high, I'm working on some ways to change his lid to allow some humidity out)

Here's some pictures of his setup:

*note : cardboard box was a temporary hide while I was waiting for another one
    Last edited by kthoms104; 05-18-2020 at 03:42 PM. Reason: misspelling :/

Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: New Setup Causing Problems (maybe?)

He is probably just adjusting to the new set up. You just added a lot of new items into his environment and he's going to need a couple days to get settled in and comfortable before he starts exploring consistantly again. The most stress free area of his tank right now is going to be his safe secure hide, so that is where he is going to stay most of the time.

I am no expert by an means, but this is similar to the behavior my bp displays whenever I adjust anything in is set up, and he always starts acting normal within a week or two.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Flicker)
    1.2 Southern Alligator Liazrds (Wraith, Magma & Annie)
    0.1 Western Skink (Stella)
    1.1 Leopard Geckos (Leo & Jade)

Thanks

Oh good, that's reassuring! I always worry about these sorts of things but I was nervous I'd over-cluttered his tank or put something there I shouldn't have.
    Thank you so much!

Thanks

Give it a week before trying to feed or any handling, this is their adjustment period. Let him do his thing then resume normal practices with feeding and handling. I never see my BPs out during the day anymore unless it’s close to feeding time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

kthoms104 (05-22-2020)

Thanks
    You said he is moving back and forth between hides during the day like normal. My limited experience is that it would not be normal for a BP to be moving back and forth between hides during the day. I could be wrong but I would be checking for something wrong if my BP was moving back and forth during the day. Others with more experience might chime in on that aspect.