Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,913

2 members and 2,911 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Help! One Month Old Baby Ball Python Won't Eat

Hi there! I've perused a ton of the threads but would love any advice/recommendations on my specific situation:

I have a 4 week old Blue Eyed Lucy who I'm having some difficulty getting to eat. We got our Coral Glow from the same breeder at the same age and had no trouble getting him to eat hoppers right off the bat but every snake is different, right?! Here are the details:
    • Born on 4/19, first feed with a live fuzzy on 5/5 while still with the breeder
    • Tried to feed a live fuzzy on 5/12 after he was home for 5 days, he wasn't interested and his behavior showed me that he was a little stressed about a separate feeding tub
    • Tried to feed f/t fuzzy on 5/15, not interested
    • All seems solid with husbandry: humidity at 65%, cool side is 78 degrees, warm side at 83 degrees, hides on both sides, UHT, using a plastic tub for the next couple of months so he can feel more secure
    • Haven't held him or opened his tub much at all except to adjust things for temp/humidity during the first couple of days
    • His behavior has been in line with what I expect over the last 3-4 days -- chilling during the day in his hide and active at night. He does seem interested in escaping at night but this has calmed down over the last 2 nights and he's been exploring his general tub instead of moving upwards exclusively.

I've read threads about letting him settle in after checking husbandry until it becomes dangerous for him not to eat, I just don't know when I need to be really worried and/or if there are any other things I can be doing. It's been 13 days since he last ate and I'm starting to worry about malnutrition at such a young age. I don't ever worry about our 12 year old male when he goes on hunger strike for months but it seems like this is a more dire situation given his age.

Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated! Snake parenting when your little one won't eat is hard!

Thanks

Re: Help! One Month Old Baby Ball Python Won't Eat

I would bump up his warm side a bit. 83 is a little low.
    Also, are you feeding live or f/t?

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Turningstar For This Useful Post:

christineho (05-18-2020)

Thanks

Thanks! I'll try that. He's eaten a live fuzzy with the breeder. I tried a live fuzzy and then when that didn't work I tried a f/t 5 days later.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    The breeder did you no favors by rehoming this snake so young. Most won't send one to a new home until after it has taken three consecutive meals.

Why are you moving the snake to feed it? Ball pythons can be shy feeders, babies doubly so until they are established. Feed it where it lives and don't bother with a separate tub for feeding. Put the fuzzy in the tub at dusk and don't check the snake again until morning; a live fuzzy isn't old enough to hurt your snake.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-18-2020),christineho (05-18-2020),GoingPostal (05-18-2020),vivi (05-18-2020)

Thanks
    A little low? Warm side needs to be 90. Cold side 80. Do you have a thermostat to regulate temperatures? Ditch the separate feeding tub- those have proven to be counterproductive.
    Last edited by vivi; 05-18-2020 at 01:21 PM.
    vivi

8. The Following User Says Thank You to vivi For This Useful Post:

christineho (05-18-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vivi View Post
    A little low? Warm side needs to be 90.
    A small tub for hatchlings can be difficult to get a proper gradient when the warm side is 90*F. Usually they're run at 78-80*F low and 86-87*F high.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-18-2020),Craiga 01453 (05-18-2020),vivi (05-18-2020)

Thanks

Yeah, this is where I'm at now.

Thanks

I'm starting to realize that now. We didn't get our other ball from him until he was 2 months old and didn't realize unfortunately.

And thank you, I will try that. I had read some things about feeding in a separate designated tub to prevent tank aggression so we've always done this with our other two balls but, as you mentioned, this one is much younger and it's probably very unsettling. I really appreciate the help!

Thanks
    Tank aggression due to feeding in the home enclosure is a myth. In fact, you are more likely to get bit if you feed your snake in a separate tub because it will associate being picked up with being fed, which is the last thing you want.

Keepers with a large collection feed in the enclosure for convenience.

Keepers who have giant snakes such as reticulated pythons, burmese pythons, or anacondas, feed in the enclosure to avoid ER visits.

Keepers who have venomous snakes feed in the enclosure to avoid trips to the ER or morgue.

I have a few adult retics that are 14-16 feet long. My biggest female is 100+ pounds. Every one of them is fed in the enclosure. None are enclosure aggressive.

Now, you are more than welcome to come to my place, pull any one of them out of the enclosure to feed it, and then put it back afterward. I just get all rights to the video footage because it's going on YouTube.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-18-2020),christineho (05-18-2020),Craiga 01453 (05-18-2020),GoingPostal (05-18-2020),jmcrook (05-18-2020),vivi (05-18-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christineho View Post
    Hi there! I've perused a ton of the threads but would love any advice/recommendations on my specific situation:

I have a 4 week old Blue Eyed Lucy who I'm having some difficulty getting to eat. We got our Coral Glow from the same breeder at the same age and had no trouble getting him to eat hoppers right off the bat but every snake is different, right?! Here are the details:
    • Born on 4/19, first feed with a live fuzzy on 5/5 while still with the breeder
    • Tried to feed a live fuzzy on 5/12 after he was home for 5 days, he wasn't interested and his behavior showed me that he was a little stressed about a separate feeding tub
    • Tried to feed f/t fuzzy on 5/15, not interested
    • All seems solid with husbandry: humidity at 65%, cool side is 78 degrees, warm side at 83 degrees, hides on both sides, UHT, using a plastic tub for the next couple of months so he can feel more secure
    • Haven't held him or opened his tub much at all except to adjust things for temp/humidity during the first couple of days
    • His behavior has been in line with what I expect over the last 3-4 days -- chilling during the day in his hide and active at night. He does seem interested in escaping at night but this has calmed down over the last 2 nights and he's been exploring his general tub instead of moving upwards exclusively.

I've read threads about letting him settle in after checking husbandry until it becomes dangerous for him not to eat, I just don't know when I need to be really worried and/or if there are any other things I can be doing. It's been 13 days since he last ate and I'm starting to worry about malnutrition at such a young age. I don't ever worry about our 12 year old male when he goes on hunger strike for months but it seems like this is a more dire situation given his age.

Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated! Snake parenting when your little one won't eat is hard!
    I’ve sent you details of the hairdryer method ... by PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

christineho (05-18-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast