Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,853

1 members and 2,852 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered User littlemaxbigworld's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Looking for aesthetic set-up photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Absololol View Post
    This is still a bioactive enclosure despite her killing some of the plants by de-rooting them and pushing them against the CHE

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    OH! I totally forgot to ask - has your snake ever shown the capability to slide the doors open? I have a tank with sliding doors on the way and I’m curious.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littlemaxbigworld View Post
    Noodles be feisty! I have some plant decorations that she will always knock over no matter what I do haha. How has having a bio active home for her been going? My roommate has one for her crested geckos. It’s a cute idea but I don’t think it’s something I’d personally invest the time in, although she swears it’s easier.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven’t heard of those! I just looked it up a bit. What does it do for her enclosure and stuff? New things! Learn me stuff haha
    Is just a long uv bulb. She doesn't strictly need uvb, it's a long uv lamp specifically made for animals that prefer dark/covered habitats. It's so the plants can still get sunlight to grow and she can get 'natural sunlight' on a cycle but it doesn't bother her too much.

She hasn't shown any ability to slide the doors open, but I imagine if it were left open a crack she could easily squeeze through.

Bioactive is something I wanted to do as it means the only thing I have to clean is her water bowl. Once you have the plants, top layer of leaves/husk and some springtails, they take care of the snakes shed and waste for you. A little bit of spot cleaning is needed in the beginning so you can get it going. It's harder and more expensive to set up but pays dividends in the long run. Not having to clean snake poop is a bonus. It also looks quite pretty if your snake isn't set on destroying the plants.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Absololol For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-19-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by littlemaxbigworld View Post
    ... has your snake ever shown the capability to slide the doors open? I have a tank with sliding doors on the way and I’m curious.
    Never happened to me (when I used some enclosures with sliding glass doors in the past) but I've heard of it happening to others, so ASSUME they can & will...it's way better than looking for your escaped snake that may also get injured from their escapade. Injuries can be an RI from being chilled, it can be from other household pets (cats & dogs), it can be scrapes or cuts or even electrocution from whatever they crawl into (they can be drawn to the warmth of a refrigerator
    motor, for example). By all means just purchase a simple lock for the glass sliders, like they use in stores on display cases...easy & safe.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-19-2020 at 08:05 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Registered User littlemaxbigworld's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Never happened to me (when I used some enclosures with sliding glass doors in the past) but I've heard of it happening to others, so ASSUME they can & will...it's way better than looking for your escaped snake that may also get injured from their escapade. Injuries can be an RI from being chilled, it can be from other household pets (cats & dogs), it can be scrapes or cuts or even electrocution from whatever they crawl into (they can be drawn to the warmth of a refrigerator
    motor, for example). By all means just purchase a simple lock for the glass sliders, like they use in stores on display cases...easy & safe.
    I actually reached out to AP just a few minutes after I posted asking them if I could add it to my order to be safe and I was able to! I ordered my T8 with swing doors but turnaround time is 16-20 weeks. I saw their quick ship T8 is the same exact thing I ordered but it’s only eligible with sliding doors. It’s 5-6 week turnaround instead so I changed it to that. Had the thought about not having latches a little after the change and I was looking at other set ups. I put two and two together, and so I emailed them and it wasn’t too late to add locks. Phew! Better safe than sorry and I’m really glad they could accommodate. So much relief. If they weren’t able to then I was gonna start asking and researching ways to keep it closed otherwise. I didn’t want to live with the risk and paranoia. Even if it’s extremely unlikely the ‘but still possible’ is too much for my brain!

I have seen RI around before. I’m guessing respiratory infection? Cause yeah how about my noodle never needing to see a vet ever haha she’s been wonderfully easy and healthy and well behaved and a great eater and she says she’s ready to keep that good streak going and I agree with her!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12