Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,952

0 members and 2,952 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Trying to Choose the PERFECT Hide...

I've been surfing the web and this site to find what would be an ideal hide for my ball python. He is a juvenile, about half a year old now.
    I am looking for a hide that isn't too small, but not too big that he becomes stressed by it.
    This is his current setup:https://imgur.com/a/y33M9Np

He seems to like his hides fine, but what worries me is that he shoves himself into one side and this ends up raising the hide off the ground, which leads me to think that it's too short. The dimensions of those hides (as roughly measured) are 8.5 length x 4.5 width x 2.6 height.

Do I need a hide that's taller, but less wide? Or what kind of dimensions should I look for? Are the ones he currently has fine, and I should just let him do his thing?
    Additionally, there are some sharp edges on the inside of his hides that tend to leave a mark in/on his scales, but they seem to disappear with no issue after a while. Should I be worried about those edges? That's another reason I set out to find a new, better hide.

I'm considering this hide, but I'm still worried that it's too short: https://www.zillarules.com/all-products/decor/rock-dens

Please let me know what you guys think. I have also looked into the cubbyhole/black box hides but I'm worried about him outgrowing the opening.
    Also, I don't want the hides to take up the whole tank, of course.
    I also ordered a new water dish for him since the one he currently has is ridiculously shallow and quite small. It's not much wider than the current one, just a little deeper.

Thank you!

Thanks

Re: Trying to Choose the PERFECT Hide...

Best hide is one that will make the snake feel secure on all edges. Snakes naturally want to squish themselves up against the side of a hide because at the side is where they'll feel the most scrunched up and secure.

What I did with my snake (as she is a juvenile too) was deliberately got hides that were too big and then used my substrate and leaves to make the hides more snug - then you don't have to throw smaller hides away once outgrown, as the snake will feel safe pushing against the substrate, until the extra filling like moss/leaves/substrate can be removed.

it's ideal if the top of the hide is touching your snakes back as it's another thing to let them feel secure. It's normal for snakes to sometimes push their hides up - probably the effect of them trying to get snuggly.

For example, I included a pic of some of the 'hides' my snake can choose. The one on the right is strictly too big and was left there for her to grow in to. But I filled the inside with lots of substrate, leaves and some moss and now she still uses that cave, because she can curl into it snuggly and feel safe. She also likes to stuff herself into the entrance, so at least she gets some other enjoyment out of it.

I'm sure some veterans would have other ideas, generally you want the openings to be about as wide as the snake, and for it to be plenty far. I think these are the standard to use. Cheap, easy to clean and come in different sizes. They're also smooth so won't hurt your snake.
    https://www.internetreptile.com/inte...85&fo_s=gplauk

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks

I use these:

https://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes

Their just basic, not natural, I guess you could glue stuff to the out side or bury it in substrate if you wanted

But their easy to clean, and my snakes seem to like them, they do have an offset door too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Absololol (05-16-2020)

Thanks

I built a "burrow" with 6 concrete bricks and a ceramic tile( 1foot by 2 foot). Lay bricks in a rectangle so the inside space is 4 to 6 in. wide. Adjust for your snakes size. Length about 16 to 18 inches. The length lets them thermoregulate without leaving the hide!! Put the tile on top and you're done. Add substrate up to the tile so they crawl down to the hide. Adjust as your snake grows. I have ap t 10 and t25. Both my snakes use these readily and both are more confident as a result.