Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,812

0 members and 2,812 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Leviathan's Progress Thread :)

Hi there!

This is my male Lesser Ball Python, Leviathan:

He was born in October 2017, and has always been very small for his age. He's been a picky eater since I got him, and currently weighs around 426.44 grams (as of this morning). He's not malnourished, but frequently goes on feeding strikes and refuses food for months at a time. However, he's a great snake - very gentile and has only ever bit once when I first got him (which, looking back, was definitely my fault).

Since he's such a picky eater, I've gotten frustrated over time and have let a lot of things slip - I've been meaning to put much more effort into getting him back on track but haven't been very proactive with him.

As of today, I'd like to focus on getting him back on track. I did a "tank transformation" (below ; let me know if you guys have any recommendations or advice on how to improve it) and am working on a plan to try different methods of feeding. So, this thread will hopefully serve as a tracker for his progression!

His tank transformation...
    Before:

After:

*note : I have a temporarily placed cardboard box on the warm side with a bark "tunnel" leading to it. I'm hoping to change it out to a more permanent hide as soon as possible, as I don't want it to mold or anything.

Thank you all so much for reading, I'm excited to begin improving
    Let me know if you have any recommendations!

Thanks
    I like that name!

You're on the right track, and i'm glad you're so receptive to learning, however the enclosure is still pretty open. It might be easier to clutter a smaller enclosure if money is an issue.

Here are a few ideas:

Add a few inches of substrate and make some pre-made burrows with hides over them. They hide in pre-made burrows like these in the wild.

Get two identical hides. He may feel safer in one than the other and give up a comfortable temperature to feel safer in a certain hide. Giving him two identical hides will make him feel safe while still providing his ideal temperature. You can still keep all your hides, just make sure to get one that is identical to another.

Try taping brown or black construction paper on 3 sides on the outside of the tank.

You're aiming for fake plants that are heavy bodied and have thick leaves that spread out, similar to pothos plants, and try placing them near or over the hides or in the middle of the enclosure. Adding a thick layer of substrate will help the plants stay in place since BPs tend to bulldoze.

And just a reminder if you missed it the first time:

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    You're underfeeding your snake, hence him being so small. I've included a feeding chart.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ing-Guidelines
    A jumbo mouse or weaned rat would be more appropriate at that weight.

Here's some tips: https://www.reddit.com/r/snakes/comm..._from_live_to/

Good luck!
    Last edited by vivi; 05-15-2020 at 10:58 AM. Reason: grammar
    vivi

Thanks

Re: Leviathan's Progress Thread :)

Alright, thank you! I will look for some more plants next time that I can go out and a hide to replace the one I have now.

I've got a few large mice, but I'm planning on trying to feed him one more mouse and then try a weaned rat. Hopefully that will put his eating pattern back on track

Thanks
    Any updates on the enclosure and feeding?
    vivi

Thanks

Re: Leviathan's Progress Thread :)

Hi there! Sorry for taking so long, I didn't see this reply until now

Feeling kind of discouraged right now :/ I bought some more plants for his enclosure to help clutter it more, as well as a new hide. I left it for two weeks so he could get used to it, but have noticed that he hasn't been exploring in his terrarium
    A few minutes ago, I attempted to feed him, but he didn't even seem to take notice of the food I offered. I don't know why, but it's like he hit a point around January/February where he just completely lost interest in eating.
    I've been doing my best to improve husbandry and everything so that the conditions are just right for him to eat, but he just won't take to it.