Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 766

2 members and 764 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: Male or Female?

Thanks

Male or Female?

Hello. I'm kind of new to probing so I would love some input. When popping bigger males I can't seem to get any of them to show hemi penes. With one of my older males when I go to pop some sperm plugs come out but I don't see the hemipenes. With younger males I'm able to pop them no problem and see hemipenes. Attached is a photo of the probe length. I've heard with males that it should go down much further but with this guy it's like half way down the probe? This male is about 650 grams so I figured it would be a lot further. Any input is greatly appreciate because I'm afraid I've been sold a female and not a male. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I'm new to this probing stuff!

https://i.gyazo.com/4b815f9d75e45d08...1852588b2a.png

Thanks

Re: Male or Female?

Looks to be a male to me. Females barely go in at all. I'm fairly new to this though so I'm interested to see what some of the more seasoned keepers say.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Keri Mac
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Deep Purple Passion BP

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerimac For This Useful Post:

CRH3012 (05-14-2020)

Thanks

Appreciate the response. I bought this male from a very reputable breeder but decided to probe just in case. All of the females I probed around the same weight went in about half the size that male did if even that. Just wanted to get some expert input on people that probe frequently because I've seen people probe males and the probe goes almost all the way in.

Thanks

I've seen that as well. I'd be questioning it if it were me doing it too. Only because it's so close to halfway btw where I've seen for males and females.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Keri Mac
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Deep Purple Passion BP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CRH3012 View Post
    Hello. I'm kind of new to probing so I would love some input. When popping bigger males I can't seem to get any of them to show hemi penes. With one of my older males when I go to pop some sperm plugs come out but I don't see the hemipenes. With younger males I'm able to pop them no problem and see hemipenes. Attached is a photo of the probe length. I've heard with males that it should go down much further but with this guy it's like half way down the probe? This male is about 650 grams so I figured it would be a lot further. Any input is greatly appreciate because I'm afraid I've been sold a female and not a male. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I'm new to this probing stuff!

https://i.gyazo.com/4b815f9d75e45d08...1852588b2a.png
    Could you show a pic of the probe next to the snakes tail? Most likely male, but the best way to tell is counting the scales from the vent to wherever the probe had stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Here's a picture of the snakes vent. When I count it's only 5 scales or so. I tried popping him once more and once again no color at all. I'm no expert at popping but when I pop my 400 gram male I definitely see hemipenes. It's just odd to me that a 650 gram male would only go that far in with a probe lol.

https://i.gyazo.com/0d6920ac354913bc...5fedee9eaf.png

Thanks

Here's a picture of the snakes vent. When I count it's only 5 scales or so. I tried popping him once more and once again no color at all. I'm no expert at popping but when I pop my 400 gram male I definitely see hemipenes. It's just odd to me that a 650 gram male would only go that far in with a probe lol.

https://i.gyazo.com/0d6920ac354913bc...5fedee9eaf.png
    Yea, sounds like it may be a female

Thanks

Awesome thanks for the input. Is there a chance I could be missing the hemipene pocket or is that not a possibility? I feel like I'm doing it correctly because when I probe my female that was sold to me as a female it's only going in about 3 scales.

Thanks

Awesome thanks for the input. Is there a chance I could be missing the hemipene pocket or is that not a possibility? I feel like I'm doing it correctly because when I probe my female that was sold to me as a female it's only going in about 3 scales.
    I’ve never heard of a snake not having them. However, both males and females have “pockets” females are just much more shallow. Normally females only go 1-3 deep, but each snake is different.