Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,740

1 members and 2,739 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,034
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jeremymichels
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Slate under heat lamp in enclosure

Hello, as the title states I知 looking to put slate in my mature bearded dragon enclosure. I was planning on putting slate in as a flooring and have excavator clay in between as I feel she would enjoy it a lot. The issue is I知 worried that the slate will get very and possibly dangerously hot under her heat lamp that she uses for basking. I was after a natural look and a good thing for her to wear down her claws on but I知 worried she could burn herself on the hot slate. Any advice or information?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Slate under heat lamp in enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchPreacher View Post
    Hello, as the title states I知 looking to put slate in my mature bearded dragon enclosure. I was planning on putting slate in as a flooring and have excavator clay in between as I feel she would enjoy it a lot. The issue is I知 worried that the slate will get very and possibly dangerously hot under her heat lamp that she uses for basking. I was after a natural look and a good thing for her to wear down her claws on but I知 worried she could burn herself on the hot slate. Any advice or information?
    All heat sources should be regulated by a thermostat. Using a thermostat will completely eliminate any risk of the slate getting too hot.

Thanks

Where would I put the thermostat for the enclosure?

Banned
    Thanks

Where would I put the thermostat for the enclosure?
    The thermostat goes outside the enclosure. Then your heat source is plugged into the thermostat. Then you set the desired temp.
    The thermostat also has a probe that goes inside the enclosure. This measures the temps and tells the tstat to heat up/cool down accordingly.
    I'm not exactly sure the best spot for the probe, I only keep snakes and wouldn't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

Then you'll want to use a IR temp gun to check and fine tune temps.

I don't want to give any beardie specific advice, but thats basically how the tstat works and is set up.

Thanks

I have one for my scorpion and one for my bp but it would be the first time I致e ever dont anything with slate or something like that

Banned
    Thanks

I have one for my scorpion and one for my bp but it would be the first time I致e ever dont anything with slate or something like that
    Ah, ok. Sorry bout the explanation then, hahhaha.

I'll let someone with beardie experience help you out though. I don't want to give you bad advice.

Sorry i couldn't help. Good luck!

Thanks

You池e fine haha, I really do appreciate the help everyone has been extremely kind on here

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EldritchPreacher For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-14-2020)

Banned
    Thanks

You池e fine haha, I really do appreciate the help everyone has been extremely kind on here
    Happy to have (tried to) help , hahhaha.

We've got a great community here. I'm sure someone will be along soon. Not as much beardie traffic as snakes, but we've got some great beardie/lizard keepers here too.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I don't use thermostats for my lizards, maybe for CHE just because I'm paranoid over the high temps.

Slate should be fine. I had been looking for slate for years so that I can get that natural look too for my beardie. I use a large brick instead. No matter what you go for, use a temp gun to get as hot as 99F more or less for adults and 100-110F for babies. If it is a little over 100F for adults, it is fine. You should have it hot enough to see your beardie gaping its mouth slightly while basking.

Most importantly, if your UVB light is on top of a mesh lid, your beardie should be basking about 10-12 inches from the heat source.

If it gets too hot, your lizard will know to move away. Hence, make sure you have a big enough tank to create an ambient temp for him to choose and cool off.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-15-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The keys for basking lizards using a basking light or basking and uv light combo are the following

Stable room temps

Proper bulb wattage based on distance between the bulb and the animal.
    Deborah Stewart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast