Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,546

2 members and 1,544 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Plastic Bin Questions

Hey there, snake newbie here! I've been researching a lot into ball pythons and I have a few questions about plastic bins as an enclosure. Firstly, if I use a heating pad that will go under the bin will I still need a climbing tree, I read that they're for the snake to get closer to heat but if the heats under do they still need this for exercise or enrichment? I also wanted to know if I will need to get different sized cages as the snake gets bigger, I know that bp's don't feel secure in big, open spaces so should I use a smaller cage for a baby snake?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    Typically you would put a baby in a smaller bin for security. I've known people who have successfully used larger bins by adding lots of hides and fake plants for clutter.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

RickyNY (05-14-2020)

Thanks

Re: Plastic Bin Questions

Alright, thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rex The Rat View Post
    Firstly, if I use a heating pad that will go under the bin will I still need a climbing tree, I read that they're for the snake to get closer to heat but if the heats under do they still need this for exercise or enrichment?
    It’ll be good for enrichment, and to clutter for security, but not necessary in terms of heat. Plants and sticks are great for stimuli but it isn’t required. I would like to say it’s necessary, but many snakes are kept in racks, so maybe it isn’t entirely

Thanks

Okay, I'll put a small tree and some sticks in the beginning to see how the snake likes it then I'll go from there. Thanks so much!

Thanks
    It’s best to keep the babies in smaller bins, then maybe move it up to a 20g ( or similar sized bin) then up to a 40g ( or similar sized bin) for their final bin. Ball pythons are not aerial species so they do not need any climbing trees. You can add lots of ground plants and decor.

Thanks

Okay, that's great because I already have a smaller tank that I can use and I wanted to get a lower bin for when he/she gets bigger. Also, when using the bin, is it better to get an opaque bin, should I use cork boards to cover up the sides, or can I just have clear sides?

Thanks

It is less stressful for them to have blacked out sides. If you want to be able to still see the snake inside you could buy a clear one and black out 3/4 sides and the top. Then the snake should feel secure and you can still see inside. If you don’t care about seeing inside, then just buy a colored bin.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ReptileRant For This Useful Post:

Rex The Rat (05-14-2020)

Thanks

I don't mind not seeing it, I just read that snakes like knowing what time of day it is by the sunlight so I don't know how important that is.

Thanks

For some species this may be true, but for ball pythons it’s not that big of a deal. Ball pythons original come from Africa where they spend all day inside pitch black termite mounds and sometimes come out late at night to hunt. So, ball pythons actually like the dark. Lots of times ball pythons are kept in snake racks with no light, it’s just up to you.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ReptileRant For This Useful Post:

Rex The Rat (05-14-2020)