Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 549

1 members and 548 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

ASF will this ever pan out???

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    "What was your regimen for selective breeding?"

Simple, if my kids say this one is mean... it gets gassed. I run a 1/3 colony otherwise it can get crowded.
    I handle them from pinks up. I won't gas a mom for biting while I'm stealing babies. That's moms job. I do gas if I put my hand in a cage an the little demon runs up an bites me. By handling from day one the little guys get calm as anything.

To start a new colony just leave them in with the old one. Once they are bred an ready to drop you have three options.

1) Just pull your new 1/3 colony out.
    2) Make the new colony a mix of the old one.
    3) Leave them in. The old moms will help raise them. But at three weeks take the new colony to the new cage.

Now, when I have too many (I just get more snakes
    ) I put them in a six foot empty metal water trough. I've had 100 in it once. Then it's gas or buy/make more racks.

Small rack that got too big here:
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...izes-(gas-day)
    I should have pulled more out before they got to 30g.

What should always be in a healthy rack:
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...4-Snake-crack!

Good luck!
    An the offer stands for a colony or two if you ever get up North.
    Well, what finally worked was keeping every single grow out together until some females started getting pregnant. I separated out the 3 most heavily pregnant females that weren’t aggressive, and the least squirrelly male. They’ve all since given birth and continue to be non biters. Just like their parents, I can reach in without fear of getting bit, and they’re producing like crazy. The previous holdback colony I had started biting any time I stuck my hand in there for more than dropping food, and 3 adults just dropped dead. They also weren’t producing much. I think between being stressed and possibly unhealthy it just wasn’t meant to be. But like I said this new 1:3 colony has been as much of a dream as their parents!

Personally, I feel defending young is a cullable offense. Especially since that clearly can be bred out - these grow outs have had almost no interaction beyond cleaning and feeding and still are behaving. I handled them from pinks, but (so far) once their eyes open they start freaking out and I don’t want to get bit so I stop.

I should never have to worry about getting bit, so I’m going to aim for that. Hopefully as I get more colonies like my current two, the bitey ones will become less and less frequent.

Other than that, it doesn’t sound like we do much different. I do plan to visit up north occasionally to see family so I’ll keep that in mind if something happens and I need new stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 08-22-2020 at 09:06 PM.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Derby (09-05-2020)

Thanks

Re: ASF will this ever pan out???

My second generation asf colonies are now producing, I have about 60 in various stages, thanks for the tips and encouragement, looks to be panning out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Derby For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (09-09-2020)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Re: ASF will this ever pan out???

Quote Originally Posted by Derby View Post
    My second generation asf colonies are now producing, I have about 60 in various stages, thanks for the tips and encouragement, looks to be panning out.
    Good to hear! They’ve proven to be a tricky species to work with, but hopefully both of us have better luck now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123