So, my roommate is currently breeding during the 2020 season. She has had multiple successful clutches from a couple different females, however there have been two recently that had problems. The eggs look/feel great and develop well up until the hatch date, however in past two clutches she had, only one baby successfully made it out of the egg. The first clutch, one got out on it's own and the other never pipped and drowned in the egg. Just this morning, an egg from the second clutch hatched and seemed fine. Within 15-20 minutes, however, the second egg had pipped also, but the baby never made it out. He made it as far as the very tip of his nose and I found him with his tongue sticking out, but he was already gone. He just barely missed clearing his nostrils.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced these issues? I haven't experienced this with my cresties, and the fact that this happened twice in a row has me wondering if it has something to do with the way the mother is laying, or possibly bad genes? The eggs are kept at 77-78F and between 60-75% humidity. So far none of the clutches from our other breeders have had this issue.