Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,994

1 members and 2,993 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: RI on baby ball python need help

I definitely agree that you need to seek a vet who can help you properly diagnose. I don’t have any experience with treating a bp for an RI but I would not treat them with anything right now. As stated, wrong antibiotics will only worsen the situation, and if it’s actually viral, then it’s not going to help at all. But there are some things you can do to help your snake out temporarily until you seek medical assistance.

You could place a branch inside their enclosure that’s elevated(diagonal) so that they can rest their head both up and down at a 45 degree angle. You’ve increased their temperature which is good. And really try to keep the humidity at 60-65%. 70% is okay but I would not push it any further. Lastly, take a look through the enclosure and make sure there isn’t any type of mold, bacteria growth, feeces, or urates. Also clean out the water bowl, and make sure to replace water daily.

Do you know what stage your snake is at? It would also be good to know to determine what other actions you need to take and if there is anything else you need to look for.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Faith.luu For This Useful Post:

TwinSerpents (05-12-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    We don't get many posts here from folks in places like Indonesia, so I can understand your frustration. Your best bet is to contact a vet...you might try Baytril injections
    IF you can get an accurate dosage based on your snake's accurate weight (NOT going to advise you here about dose as it's unethical to do so), as in all honesty there
    ARE some vets who just "take a guess" & by-pass lab tests (some pet-owners reject lab work as being out of their budget) do us it...and "sometimes" it might work, if
    you & your pet are lucky. There are other antibiotics that can be safely used for snakes too, depending on the infection, but so many things used for warm blooded
    animals are toxic or useless for snakes, so it's not a minor detail. Please do consult with a vet though, & all the best for a good outcome.

The ad for the clinic in Jakarta does mention it's for "domestic animals" but I'd ask anyway...maybe they know of someone to refer you to. Also, are there any
    zoo's there? They typically have an exotic vet working for them, & perhaps that vet would like to "moonlight" just a little?

Another thought is having your snake's (fresh!) stool checked by the nearest vet...even if they only 'see' dogs & cats, they should be able to use their microscope to check out fecal material from a snake. Maybe also a swab from your snake's oral secretions? Another thing occurs to me...that what seems to be an RI could also be symptoms of a parasitic issue instead...warm & humid places have more issues like this...some parasitic worms can travel to a snake's lungs, so it might be a matter of treating your snake for parasites instead of a bacterial infection. If it's parasitic, Baytril won't do a darn thing...this is why we
    urge you to get the diagnostic help from a veterinarian...and if they aren't snake-lovers, perhaps you can help them to become more enthused to consider trying to help snakes.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-12-2020 at 04:52 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

TwinSerpents (05-12-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faith.luu View Post
    I definitely agree that you need to seek a vet who can help you properly diagnose. I don’t have any experience with treating a bp for an RI but I would not treat them with anything right now. As stated, wrong antibiotics will only worsen the situation, and if it’s actually viral, then it’s not going to help at all. But there are some things you can do to help your snake out temporarily until you seek medical assistance.

You could place a branch inside their enclosure that’s elevated(diagonal) so that they can rest their head both up and down at a 45 degree angle. You’ve increased their temperature which is good. And really try to keep the humidity at 60-65%. 70% is okay but I would not push it any further. Lastly, take a look through the enclosure and make sure there isn’t any type of mold, bacteria growth, feeces, or urates. Also clean out the water bowl, and make sure to replace water daily.

Do you know what stage your snake is at? It would also be good to know to determine what other actions you need to take and if there is anything else you need to look for.
    Will do the branch and cleaning routine.

As of what stage, i dont really know. The visuals i can tell you are. She stand her head and neck straight, sometimes she will just curl and elevate her head. Earlier today i checked and cleaned her mouth there is mucous and some white-ish part at the back of her mouth. Nose is not clogged. Sometimes i hear pop. To add information she ate 3 days ago.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    We don't get many posts here from folks in places like Indonesia, so I can understand your frustration. Your best bet is to contact a vet...you might try Baytril injections
    IF you can get an accurate dosage based on your snake's accurate weight (NOT going to advise you here about dose as it's unethical to do so), as in all honesty there
    ARE some vets who just "take a guess" & by-pass lab tests (some pet-owners reject lab work as being out of their budget) do us it...and "sometimes" it might work, if
    you & your pet are lucky. There are other antibiotics that can be safely used for snakes too, depending on the infection, but so many things used for warm blooded
    animals are toxic or useless for snakes, so it's not a minor detail. Please do consult with a vet though, & all the best for a good outcome.

The ad for the clinic in Jakarta does mention it's for "domestic animals" but I'd ask anyway...maybe they know of someone to refer you to. Also, are there any
    zoo's there? They typically have an exotic vet working for them, & perhaps that vet would like to "moonlight" just a little?

Another thought is having your snake's (fresh!) stool checked by the nearest vet...even if they only 'see' dogs & cats, they should be able to use their microscope to check out fecal material from a snake. Maybe also a swab from your snake's oral secretions? Another thing occurs to me...that what seems to be an RI could also be symptoms of a parasitic issue instead...warm & humid places have more issues like this...some parasitic worms can travel to a snake's lungs, so it might be a matter of treating your snake for parasites instead of a bacterial infection. If it's parasitic, Baytril won't do a darn thing...this is why we
    urge you to get the diagnostic help from a veterinarian...and if they aren't snake-lovers, perhaps you can help them to become more enthused to consider trying to help snakes.
    Yes i will not give up on her, will try call those clinics as soon as they are open. Maybe they have recomendations that is closer to my area. As of my local vets are mostly deal with farm animals, the other vet i just visited today his office got nothing but table, chair and a rack of medicine. So, i doubt he have the equipment to check fecal material. This is the problem in Indonesia, animals/pets really aren't "big deal".

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TwinSerpents For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-12-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TwinSerpents View Post
    Yes i will not give up on her, will try call those clinics as soon as they are open. Maybe they have recomendations that is closer to my area. As of my local vets are mostly deal with farm animals, the other vet i just visited today his office got nothing but table, chair and a rack of medicine. So, i doubt he have the equipment to check fecal material. This is the problem in Indonesia, animals/pets really aren't "big deal".
    I do understand...I once lived in S. Korea, & when a loose pet dog got hit by a car, it was immediately scooped up...NOT to be taken to a vet, but taken home as someone's dinner.

BTW, do you have a small accurate gram scale to weigh your snake? I'd ask the vet anyway...farm animals need treatment for parasites too, you know. And if you can weigh your snake, maybe they could order & prescribe something. Some vets will help you IF you help them...you could offer a list of possible antibiotics that are safe for snakes...even if they don't have it on hand, they might be able to order it...they probably need YOUR business too. And if you can get one vet to help, let them know that others are keeping pet snakes too...it might be an incentive to learn a bit of reptile medicine. Time to be persuasive... good luck! And don't forget that many vets are just as afraid of snakes as the general population is...so it helps a lot when you can demonstrate how docile (& pretty!) your pet snake is... You won't win over every vet, but you might find one or two...I hope so.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-12-2020 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks

Good news. I contacted the clinic listed by one of the member of this forum, they suggested me to a vet near my city. I got appointment this afternoon and on the way to their place as of this moment. Will update later.

Thank you very much to you guys who show concern towards my pet and myself as a keeper. Can not show how thankful i am to this community, but you guys are the best. We are probably 12-24 hours apart from each other, yet you guys are more helpful than my local reptile community.

Finger crossed hopefully my little baby will be back healthy as she was at her best times.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TwinSerpents For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (05-13-2020),Bogertophis (05-13-2020),dr del (05-14-2020),Gocntry (05-13-2020),jmcrook (05-13-2020),L.West (06-08-2020)

Thanks

Just want to give quick update. I went to the clinic and i was shocked about how good is the place. They got full equipment, friendly staff, they even got surgery room. Such place in Indonesia this is the first time i witnessed so many people passionate about pet care. The vet i appointed to was super friendly and knowledgeable about reptile.

After some check and examination she said that my baby got bacterial infection causes her RI. She gave me some medicines for home treatment and what even better she gave me her personal number in case there is some stuff i want to ask about, since i live 2 hours drive from the clinic.

She was super happy also the moment i brought my baby to her room, she said that they don't treat so many reptiles at their clinic.
    To whoever future reader especially indonesian who lives in East Java, whenever you need a good vet / clinic i would like to recommend Rakki Pet located in Malang city.

Personally 2 hours drive to their location was super worth it.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TwinSerpents For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-13-2020),Craiga 01453 (05-13-2020),Gocntry (05-13-2020)

Thanks

Glad you found a nice place to help you and your snake.

Let us know how she's doing and hopefully they get her fixed right up.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

TwinSerpents (05-13-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TwinSerpents View Post
    Just want to give quick update. I went to the clinic and i was shocked about how good is the place. They got full equipment, friendly staff, they even got surgery room. Such place in Indonesia this is the first time i witnessed so many people passionate about pet care. The vet i appointed to was super friendly and knowledgeable about reptile.

After some check and examination she said that my baby got bacterial infection causes her RI. She gave me some medicines for home treatment and what even better she gave me her personal number in case there is some stuff i want to ask about, since i live 2 hours drive from the clinic.

She was super happy also the moment i brought my baby to her room, she said that they don't treat so many reptiles at their clinic.
    To whoever future reader especially indonesian who lives in East Java, whenever you need a good vet / clinic i would like to recommend Rakki Pet located in Malang city.

Personally 2 hours drive to their location was super worth it.
    Happy you got the little one to the vet. Keep us posted on the progress.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

What a nice surprise to find some medical help & within a reasonable distance. Hope your snake makes a good recovery, & do let your local snake lovers know about this vet, that there IS willing vet help for their pets should the need arise. Let us know how she does too, OK?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-13-2020 at 12:58 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast