Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,168

1 members and 1,167 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Post RI on baby ball python need help

Hey netizens of ball-pythons.net
    So i have a beautiful female pied ball python she weigh at 173 grams the last time i weigh her.

2 days ago i found out that she have respiratory infection. The problem i got right now is i am living in a small city and there is no exotic pet vet at my area, the nearest exotic pet vet is 2 hours flight from my place. Asking here and there in my local reptile community they suggested me to bump her enclosure temps at 31-32 degrees celcius.

The past 2 days i don't see any improvement, and i am desperate to find a solution, i watched some youtube videos and i am not sure which one to do.

What i understand is antibiotics is my first option to improve her health condition.

The condition is, at my area there is very limited medicine option that i can get. One of the available option is baytril.

The question is, since baytril is acessible. Should i try it on her? If yes, then what is the dosage for her size and the length of the treatment?

2nd, i saw quite alot of videos on youtube with vicks vaporub and eucalyptus oil treatment for respiratory infection on ball python. These 2 products are available at my area, should i give it a try? If yes should i do baytril and this treatment at the same time?

Please, if anybody can enlight me regarding this problem i will be very thankful. Since this is my first ever RI case on my collection, it is making me paranoid and stressful.

Yesterday i asked a guy on ball python facebook group and he said i should give up and give her to someone else. This totally breaks my heart, she was cutest and most adorable noodle at her best times. And i don't want to give up on her at this particular moment in her life.

Thanks in advance to whoever read and reply to this case, and i am really sorry if my english is not perfect. It is not my native language.

Thanks

Re: RI on baby ball python need help

Im sorry, I cant comment on baytril, as Ive never used it, but DO NOT use vicks or eucalyptus oil! They are very harmful to snakes.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Turningstar For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-12-2020),Craiga 01453 (05-12-2020),GoingPostal (05-12-2020),TwinSerpents (05-12-2020),vivi (05-12-2020)

Thanks

Thank you for your response, okay so i will pass on vicks and eucalyptus oil.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TwinSerpents For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-12-2020)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    When there's an infection, treating randomly with any antibiotic can easily do more harm than good, you need a culture to see what bacteria you are dealing with. Part of having animals includes vet care, is there a local vet that could maybe get advice from a reptile vet and help you out?

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-12-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Without proper examination and diagnosis by a reptile vet, your best guess is what you can find online and what people (non-vets) can try and suggest. Giving the wrong meds and the wrong dosage can kill your snake, and you won't know that you overdose your snake immediately because of their slow metabolism until it is too late.

I have heard of raising temps and/or humidity, but your best bet is a vet. Have you tried your closest reptile rescue for help?

Unfortunately I agree that surrendering your pet or making the travel to a vet may be necessary. Not that this a slight towards you, but seeing posts like this is heartbreaking because planning for a pet always requires planning for a vet. Animals will inevitably get sick, and medical care (access and finance) should be the first thing on your list prior to purchase of any pets. In the end, the pet suffers longer than necessary and the owner feels the loss of the pet either to illness or having to give it up to a rescue who can save him. That latter option is hard, but if that is what it takes to get him better, then take this a lesson learned and do what you have to do for the snake's best interest.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-12-2020),Craiga 01453 (05-12-2020),GoingPostal (05-12-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    Baytril is not without harmful effects, and especially if it's the wrong antibiotic to begin with. Without lab work first, it's just a shot in the dark, no pun intended.

I agree with Cheesenugget...keeping pets for which you have NO available vet care isn't a good plan for either you or especially your pet, sorry to say. Neither is depending on the internet or social media sources...it's irresponsible to prescribe treatments for animals NOT seen, & advice given by those untrained can often prove to be dangerous, even deadly, for your snake. Veterinarians, like other doctors, take an oath to "first do no harm" and quack "cures" like using Vicks (TOXIC!!!) or eucalyptus oil (toxic &/or irritating at best) are NOT the right answer.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-12-2020 at 02:46 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What you need is to get your animal to a vet (any vet) and ask for the following

Get a culture and based on the culture the proper injectable antibiotic should be prescribed for no less than 30 days.

Do not play vet, your animal must be properly diagnosed and the proper antibiotic must be prescribed, there are more than one type of RI and this is why there is not a one fit all antibiotic, also do not prescribe an antibiotic just because or because you have access to it.

As for you asking for dosage recommendations keep in mind this is a dangerous game that could lead to dangerous advice which is not what we do here even if some of us are familiar with dosage.

Do not use home remedies that includes vicks and other essential oils you will do more damage than good.

A RI is not a human cold you are trying to alleviate with human remedies, it is something serious that needs to be treated with antibiotics.
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-12-2020),GoingPostal (05-12-2020)

Thanks

Thank you for the responses guys. So the main problem is vet, yea i admit i don't think that far when i decided to keep a snake, thought any vet will be able to treat my snake when they got sick etc. Until 2 days ago i call the nearest vet available to my place and he said that he won't be able to handle my problem since he only treat farm animals like cow, goat and chicken. To make a picture for u guys im living in this country called Indonesia where exotic vets are rarely available yet there is tons i mean tons of reptile keepers. So am i the only irresponsible reptile keeper? No. So are my actions regarding my pets acceptable? No.
    I have stated when i started this thread that i am desperate looking any answer that at least comfort my nerves so i can think clearly what is the best option to do.
    If you say, "yea in this case you better give your snake to someone else". I doubt that someone else can give better treatment to my snake if not killed her with their own home remedies.
    Have you ever know that in Indonesia almost all kind health problem regarding exotic animals are D.I.Y thing? Probably not, because maybe you people think that everytime someone made a post, they must be from a pretty developed country in the subject of animal care.
    Please guys im not trying to judge anyone here, i am just looking for possible solutions.
    And i write it one more time if you guys dont believe me try find at least one exotic vet on google that is available in Indonesia.
    Thank you. If you find this post offensive or just pure rant just tell me, i will delete it.

Thanks

What about this place in Jarkarta? They look like a pretty big well organized place

https://www.jakartaanimalaid.com/animal-clinic-jakarta/

No clue if that's even near you...

BUT maybe a call or an email to them and they might be able to refer you to someone / some place near your location??

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

TwinSerpents (05-12-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    What about this place in Jarkarta? They look like a pretty big well organized place

https://www.jakartaanimalaid.com/animal-clinic-jakarta/

No clue if that's even near you...

BUT maybe a call or an email to them and they might be able to refer you to someone / some place near your location??
    Thank you for your positive response, i have checked the website you linked. Will call them as soon as they open this morning.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TwinSerpents For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-12-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast