Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,934

0 members and 1,934 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: BP hides

Thanks

BP hides

Hi everyone, so my local stores don't normally sell good hides for big snakes, and I'm a bit hesitant to shop online incase I accidently get the wrong size hide. I'm looking for a natural looking hide like the exo Terra reptile cave or anything similar.
    I have a one year old male, 3ft already if that helps. Im looking for a hide that works for fully grown males. If anybody knows of any good hides with links that would be super helpful and much appreciated!

Thanks
    When we first got our BP last fall I really wanted natural looking hides that also had a decent sized opening so we could see in. After some research I learned that they prefer a smaller opening the what all the natural looking hides had (the ones I could find). I ended up going with the black plastic hides, realizing the snakes preferences are more important than mine. He seemed a lot happier after we switched them up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Midwest For This Useful Post:

Gocntry (05-17-2020)

Thanks

Re: BP hides

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    I use these:

https://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes

Their just basic, not natural, I guess you could glue stuff to the out side or bury it in substrate if you wanted

But their easy to clean, and my snakes seem to like them, they do have an offset door too.
    They show out of stock on a lot of them right now.

I have 300 gram snakes in the medium size, and a 1200 gram snake in the large size, 100 gram snakes used the small size before they out grew them

Thanks
    Thanks for the info, ya if there aren't any good natural hides for him then so be it. I'd much prefer him happy with what I get than how it looks!

Thanks
    These are the ones I bought and have been happy with. I haven't weighed him in a month or so but he is between 300-400 grams currently and still has plenty of room.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest View Post
    These are the ones I bought and have been happy with. I haven't weighed him in a month or so but he is between 300-400 grams currently and still has plenty of room.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Pretty sure those and the Reptile Basics hides are from the same supplier, you can see some of the pictures are the same with just a name

change on the ruler on top.

Thanks

I’ve found that the natural looking hides are so expensive, so I bought mine off of someone else. I do it through private sales. I live in Canada so we have Kijiji, but I believe the U.S’ big one is Craigslist¿? I find lots of people have extra supplies lying around in great condition. Just be sure to really sterilize/disinfect it and make sure it’s safe and won’t cause any harm to your snake.