Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 250

2 members and 248 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 68,374
Threads: 242,874
Posts: 2,520,328
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, alfredogomez
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Registered User e1095's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-04-2020
    Location
    OR, USA
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts

    How Do You Make a Snake Sweater?

    This is not an urgent question, but I am wondering if anyone has any links or tips to share on how to knit a tube-shape sweater for BPs. My boy loves soft small places so I figure I'll give him a sweater to see if he likes it (I won't force it if he doesn't). I have the supplies but absolutely no knitting experience. I tend to have good beginner's luck when it comes to crafty things but have found no tutorials or instructions online for snake-shaped sweaters. Any information or sources would be appreciated.
    Thank you!

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to e1095 For This Useful Post:

    LyraIsGray (05-25-2020),Southpaw91 (05-12-2020)

  3. #2
    BPnet Veteran Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11,926
    Thanks
    16,531
    Thanked 9,679 Times in 6,201 Posts
    Why go to all that trouble? Buy some inexpensive cotton tube sox... No sweater is ever going to stay ON a snake, but many enjoy curling up inside such things.
    Or you can snip a sleeve off an old shirt...(& wash your car with the rest of it).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  4. #3
    Registered User e1095's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-04-2020
    Location
    OR, USA
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts

    Re: How Do You Make a Snake Sweater?

    My main motivation for making it myself is an attempt to stay busy and artistic during quarantine downtime. I've had friends whose snakes loved sweaters so I figured I'd give it a try for Wishbone. I've seen suggestions for sleeves or even baby leg warmers which are good options, I just want to try homemade first.

  5. #4
    BPnet Veteran Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11,926
    Thanks
    16,531
    Thanked 9,679 Times in 6,201 Posts
    If you're really just trying to stay busy, why not teach him to dribble a basketball? (jkg!) We'll expect a "fashion show" then...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    GoingPostal (05-24-2020),Kerimac (05-23-2020),LyraIsGray (05-25-2020),Sonny1318 (05-13-2020)

  7. #5
    Registered User Southpaw91's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-10-2019
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 194 Times in 119 Posts

    Re: How Do You Make a Snake Sweater?

    I'd use double pointed needles and knit on the round. Start by looking up how to do the stitches. Knit and pearl stitches are the basic essentials. There's a TON of youtube videos on these. You'll also want to know the rib stitch. Then you'll want to look up double pointed needles and knitting on the round. Once you have gotten comfortable with that (maybe try making a hat or something to practice), then you just have to basically make a long skinny tube with rib stitch "hems."

    Let us know how it turns out!! I've been thinking about doing this myself, just for funsies!

    Have fun!

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  8. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-08-2019
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    I'd say look into spool knitting. Super easy and it comes out as a perfect tube. Just make sure the tube size you chose is big enough.

  9. #7
    Registered User e1095's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-04-2020
    Location
    OR, USA
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts

    Re: How Do You Make a Snake Sweater?

    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw91 View Post
    I'd use double pointed needles and knit on the round. Start by looking up how to do the stitches. Knit and pearl stitches are the basic essentials. There's a TON of youtube videos on these. You'll also want to know the rib stitch. Then you'll want to look up double pointed needles and knitting on the round. Once you have gotten comfortable with that (maybe try making a hat or something to practice), then you just have to basically make a long skinny tube with rib stitch "hems."

    Let us know how it turns out!! I've been thinking about doing this myself, just for funsies!

    Have fun!

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Wow thank you for the great tips! I had no idea where to get started and now I have all these terms to look up. I appreciate it!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Aziara View Post
    I'd say look into spool knitting. Super easy and it comes out as a perfect tube. Just make sure the tube size you chose is big enough.
    Awesome I'll look into this. Thank you!

  10. #8
    Registered User Southpaw91's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-10-2019
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 194 Times in 119 Posts

    Re: How Do You Make a Snake Sweater?

    Lol so I finally made one. Thought you might like to see it lol. I used seed stitch for the main body and rib stitch for the "turtle neck" and hem. It's about 2 ft long and 3.5 in. In diameter.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Southpaw91; 05-20-2020 at 02:38 PM.

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Southpaw91 For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (05-23-2020),Gocntry (05-20-2020),Kerimac (05-23-2020),wnateg (05-20-2020)

  12. #9
    Registered User wnateg's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-25-2019
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    659
    Thanks
    519
    Thanked 718 Times in 346 Posts
    Oh my word.
    0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    -----
    0.0.1 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"


  13. #10
    Registered User Gocntry's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-28-2019
    Location
    Northern Va.
    Posts
    444
    Thanks
    337
    Thanked 573 Times in 271 Posts

    Re: How Do You Make a Snake Sweater?

    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw91 View Post
    Lol so I finally made one. Thought you might like to see it lol. I used seed stitch for the main body and rib stitch for the "turtle neck" and hem. It's about 2 ft long and 3.5 in. In diameter.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Now we need to see the snake wearing it

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (05-23-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1