Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,178

1 members and 3,177 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Female Ball won’t eat consistently with me

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Have you tried putting her in the same size tub that the breeder used for housing his snakes?
    I have not, the breeder stopped replying to me shortly after I purchased her so I’m not sure what his set up was

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CK BALLS View Post
    That’s a good idea. When i got her on morphmarket it looked like she was on paper towels. Should I keep her on those or switch to the coco chips?
    You can try having her on paper towel but in my experience substrates in which they can burrow such as coco type bedding actually help with feeding issues providing additional security.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    You can try having her on paper towel but in my experience substrates in which they can burrow such as coco type bedding actually help with feeding issues providing additional security.
    Makes sense, I appreciate the input! It makes me think about how much of a nightmare she’s going to be when I try to switch her to frozen thawed

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Things to try when your BP goes off feed (two weeks isn't missing anything).

Soak them, thirty minutes or so. Wakes them up an some snakes like it, just ask them.

Put them in a pillow case an take a trip. Snake "normally" will be calm in a sack. The vibrations of the ride an the elavation changes seems to wake
    them up.

Another "trick" is to offer smaller prey. Your feeding live rodents, a crawler can't hurt your snake but might bug it enough that it gets eaten.

Snakes can go off feed for any reason. The barometric pressure could have dropped making the snake think time to hole up in the hide. Pre shed or hormones or a million other things. Just like when a dog doesn't eat for a day for no reason. Stuff happens an I don't speak snake. Heck, I had one snake that would never take a white rodent.

Give her time to get straight.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Your temps are in range so it's just a matter of time and patience. Some new snakes take a little while to start eating consistently. Your critter has eaten once in the month you've had him so he'll be fine. I'd space out the feeding attempts to every 2-3 weeks instead of weekly offerings to avoid wasting feeders and to give his appetite a chance to grow. BPs are the worst when it comes to taking unexpected food breaks but they all eat when they're ready.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Things to try when your BP goes off feed (two weeks isn't missing anything).

Soak them, thirty minutes or so. Wakes them up an some snakes like it, just ask them.

Put them in a pillow case an take a trip. Snake "normally" will be calm in a sack. The vibrations of the ride an the elavation changes seems to wake
    them up.

Another "trick" is to offer smaller prey. Your feeding live rodents, a crawler can't hurt your snake but might bug it enough that it gets eaten.

Snakes can go off feed for any reason. The barometric pressure could have dropped making the snake think time to hole up in the hide. Pre shed or hormones or a million other things. Just like when a dog doesn't eat for a day for no reason. Stuff happens an I don't speak snake. Heck, I had one snake that would never take a white rodent.

Give her time to get straight.

Good luck!
    I’ve heard about taking them on a ride! That will probably be the last resort though I’m planning on going down a size next time I feed her

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Your temps are in range so it's just a matter of time and patience. Some new snakes take a little while to start eating consistently. Your critter has eaten once in the month you've had him so he'll be fine. I'd space out the feeding attempts to every 2-3 weeks instead of weekly offerings to avoid wasting feeders and to give his appetite a chance to grow. BPs are the worst when it comes to taking unexpected food breaks but they all eat when they're ready.
    Yeah I’m gonna space out and feed her less frequently unless I see her losing significant weight. No worries about waiting feeders, my garbage disposal snake normally picks up after her lol

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CK BALLS View Post
    Yeah I’m gonna space out and feed her less frequently unless I see her losing significant weight. No worries about waiting feeders, my garbage disposal snake normally picks up after her lol
    If you've only had this girl a month then she should still be in quarantine. Refused feeders should be thrown out (assuming f/t) and not offered to another snake.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (05-12-2020),Bogertophis (05-12-2020),GoingPostal (05-12-2020),Stewart_Reptiles (05-12-2020),vivi (05-12-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    If you've only had this girl a month then she should still be in quarantine. Refused feeders should be thrown out (assuming f/t) and not offered to another snake.
    THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ !!!

Otherwise, you're exposing your other snakes to whatever pathogens your new snake may be harboring without symptoms. This is how diseases and parasites get spread to the other pets NEEDLESSLY. You wouldn't use someone else's toothbrush, would you? (I hope not!) Don't expose prey items to your other pets after it comes into contact with a new snake still in quarantine OR to their enclosure...& even when quarantine ends, remember that re-offering prey is still not risk-free...money saved on prey items might later be paid to your vet in much higher amounts than you ever saved...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-12-2020 at 12:57 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    He feeds live as she ate live from the breeder. First post, he gave her a live rat. So a garbage disposal is called for. Quarantine I assumed, I should have asked.

Good luck with her!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123