Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,110

1 members and 3,109 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question Ball Python food question

Hello!! I'm new here and I'm still trying to figure it out
    I have a one year old ball python and I have always fed her mice, than adult mice and know we are in small rats. Since all this weird covid thing is going on I had to come down to my hometown and I left my ball python in charge with a friend but we havent been able to find rats to feed her in two weeks, I cant find anywhere, so, I was wondering if any of you know if theres anything else she could have, my brother in a joking kinda way (he knows nothing about reptiles tho) he said, "why dont you give her a piece of ham?", which I never thought of and I dont think i'll do it tho but I thought I would ask just being curious, what if I do? would she eat it? Im kind of concearned now if she would. please let me know what you think!

Thanks

Re: Ball Python food question

No please don't feed the snake ham. I know you're probably joking but please no.

If you can't get hold of mice or rats, pythons will (personality/mood willing) take chicks as well, or even a quail. If you can't get these, snakes can go a while without eating. 2 weeks is not a concern. Snakes are built to eat whole animals, they can't get the nutrients they need from a cut of ham. They need the calcium in the bones and stuff to keep them going. At best she won't get the nutrients she needs and at worst it could cause digestive and health problems. Can you try to source mice/rats from an online supplier? Not sure where you are but where I am, I'm still able to source frozen stuff online.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Absololol; 05-11-2020 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Typos

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Your snake will not, and should not, eat food intended and prepared for human consumption . Order frozen feeders online if you are unable to find feeders locally.
    -Perfect Prey
    -Big Cheese Rodent Factory
    -Cold Blooded Cafe
    -Layne Labs
    -etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Absololol (05-11-2020)

Thanks

yes I was just asking for curiosity dont worry I really wont do it hhaha, but thank you very much tho!! and yes I know they can stay a while with no food so I'm not very worried about it, thanks!!

Thanks

got it I just thought of asking since I never thought of it and my dumb brother just said it without knowing nothing and he got me thinking haha thanks for replying back!!