Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,795

2 members and 2,793 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: New snake Owner

Thanks

New snake Owner

Hi, so I just typed a lot and lost it... So I'm going to make it straight to the point and try to leave out all of the extra details so that I can just give facts and get the advice that I need. I have a new ball python, named Houdini. My 11 year old daughter really wanted a snake(but he is really like my snake now lol!), And I just so happened to find out about someone who was looking to re-home their ball python, so I bought him from this person. I was falsely told that he had everything he needed. I was buying him for a pretty good price with his commercially made enclosure(48"x 24"... I think made out of PVC?), a heat mat , water bowl, and 2 hides. They gave me no thermometer or hydrometer. Well once I got a thermometer, I realized that the heat mat was way too hot! So I got a thermostat, and it is now set at 91*(fluctuates by a degree or two). The mat is not even the right kind for the enclosure. It is a zoo med plug in mat that you would normally use for a glass tank(I have been doing my research). It is too small and doesn't cover a full half of the enclosure, or evenly distribute the heat. The cool side is far too cold(room temp. 73*- 75*). What should I buy as a better heat source for this enclosure is my first question? Something inexpensive that isn't too much work to install? I have looked at all kinds of options and I can't make up my mind which way to go. Also, I finally got a digital hydrometer with a probe, and the humidity is only 43%. I am afraid to mist the enclosure because I am afraid that it will bring the temp down too much on the cool side... But he really only stays on the warm side ever since I have it regulated with a thermostat now. Any advice would be extremely helpful. I don't want him to suffer. Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: New snake Owner

You only want the heat mat to cover 1/4-1/3 of the enclosure floor at most. As for ambient temps being low, a Radiant Heat Panel might do a better job of creating a hot spot as well as boosting ambient temps. Can sometimes be a little finicky dialing in temps with RHP but generally once they’re set you’re good to go. Alternatively you could heat the room to 75°+ but that’s a bit overkill for a singe enclosure imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-09-2020)

Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

To increase humidity without dropping temp you can place some damp spagnum moss in the enclosure.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptile$ 4 Life For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-09-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts
    Either that or use 2 UTHs...one regulated for the warm (90*) side & one regulated for the 78-80* "cool" side.
    for realizing the set-up as you received it was not right & too hot.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Sphagnum moss works fantastic. Also bedding will help with increasing humidity. You can use cypress mulch, coco husk, coco fibre, or do a combination. If you’re on a bit of a budget I’ve used a damp towel and left it inside the enclosure and it works fantastic. I made mine drape over a couple of sticks to kind of make it like another hide, but however you would like to use it you can. Make sure you replace/wash the towel to prevent bacteria growth if you decide to do this method. Once a week should suffice.

If a heat mat doesn’t work for you then installing a overhead lamp could work. If your PVC enclosure is made of wood, you could cut a circle at the top for the lamp. Otherwise set you’re temps a little higher for your mat and read the temperature from the inside until you reach 85-92 from the inside.