Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,829

0 members and 2,829 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

first BP clutch question?

So this was my first year breeding and my female laid 8 healthy eggs and today is day 56. So my first question is should i cut the eggs open i see so many egg cutting videos where they cut them early or should i check them every day for when they start to on their own? Next i made my incubator out of a cooler and filled it with water and used a aqua heater to heat the water, the lay box had a digital thermometer to read the temp an humidity and until i got a larger heater i noticed the temp was 89 and would drop some to 87.5ish so with a larger heater it stays 90-88.5. I used a candling light a few days ago an just checked the eggs quick to see what i could see and i thought i could see some pattern but wasnt sure i did for sure see movement.
    I am unsure about the eggs like i said i saw movement but from the size of the egg and the size of snakes in other cutting videos i feel like they should of been larger or filled the egg more the dark part of the egg was only about half the egg. I of course didnt move the eggs at all so i know that candling them wont be as effective as candling chicken eggs and i cant find anything online to see what i looking for really. I just dont want to loose any if they cant open the egg shell alone but i dont want to open an egg if it isnt fully ready

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: first BP clutch question?

Wait until the first one pips then you can cut if you want, I had a clutch go past 60 days before one piped. Give it a few more days to see if any start to cut their eggs on their own.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What Alexiel03 said, until you know how long it takes your eggs to incubate and at what day your hatchling pip on average do not cut wait for the first one to slit.

If you can early you will expose your hatchlings to possible bacteria, eggs might dry out etc.

I let my hatchling pip, and if within 24 hours of the first pips the rest has not I simply cut the other eggs or if nothing has pip at 60 days I cut at 60 days because after years of incubating the same way I know that they all pip at day 59 or 60
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 05-07-2020 at 07:27 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Checked them this morning after milking the goats as 2 had pipped one was looking around so i cut the rest to check on them and put them back to come out on their own thanks for the help, just goes to show i candle them 4 days ago an the eggs looked half empty but clearly they werent.