Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,215

0 members and 3,215 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts

BIG gorl, but HOW big? (Hey, y'all miss me??)

Yoooo hey y'all it has been a WHILE since I posted here. Crazy stuff has been my life over the last couple years. Had another baby. Bought 20 acres about 30 minutes away from our current city and now we're starting our dream hobby farm! Got more chickens and also some geese. Downsized the collection a LOT because we will be living on a tiny 10X20 cabin with naught but solar power and a generator for a couple years while we build our permanent home and add infrastructure to the farm.

But you know, I still had to keep my favs, and also wanted to have potential babies in the future, so rn we still have Riddle, Bean, and Strudel. All three shed this week and all three just ate. Seems like Bean is ready to graduate to medium rats, but the real question, and the reason I'm posting is: I think maybe Strudel needs to be moved up to large sized rats. Looking at them in the store I thought, "nah, that's surely too big, isn't it?" but comparing the medium rat to her now, i'm second guessing. A quick browse through old threads shows, as usual, that it's a mixed bag so I thought I'd provide some visuals:

Here she is mid squeeze. That is NOT the thickest part of her, only about the first third of her body and still seems a little small.

Post swallow, still realigning her jaw and still cruising. Rat has left hardly a bump to be seen.

So, next size up??
    Last edited by Lizardlicks; 05-07-2020 at 01:54 AM. Reason: spelling errors

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Sure, if you like morbidly obese snakes. I can't see a ball python needing to eat larges on the regular. My short tail pythons and boas usually get a medium once a month.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (05-07-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: BIG gorl, but HOW big? (Hey, y'all miss me??)

Because a snake is capable of taking a larger prey does not mean it needs to to thrive, grow and be healthy, overfeeding in captivity is an issue and increase of fatty live is too.

I have some 3500 and 4000 grams females and the biggest they get is a 150/175 grams rat weekly. They could take down a retire breeder rat which is usually around 300 grams however I am not interested in having a sluggish snake for days (considering the toll digestion takes)

In the long run smaller is better and personally I never feed something that leaves a bulge.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (05-07-2020),Lizardlicks (05-07-2020),Luvyna (05-07-2020)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    Strudel has been restless and cruising less than a week- sometimes even before 5 days- with the mediums but I'm also not sure if she would take a second rat in the same feeding session. She does not lack for appetite and drive though. Obesity is something I've kept on eye on for her specifically because I swear she'd eat like a boa if given the chance. So far so perfect.