Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,337

2 members and 3,335 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question Can I get a ball python if I have 2 cats?

Hi! I am currently considering getting a ball Python! However, I have two full grown cats and I'm a little nervous about having them as well as a snake. I've heard that it is unlikely but possible for a BP to kill a cat. (It goes the other way too) And I really want to ensure the safety of both my cats and the snake. I'm hopefully getting a male since it may be a little less dangerous due to size I guess. And I don't plan on introducing them too each other. But I'm still worried in case the snake escapes or a cat gets into his tank. What are the best ways to avoid that? I'd feel horrible if anything happened to either.

For some other info, my cats are pretty big and have a lot of fluff so hopefully the snake won't want to confront them since BPs are supposed to be pretty docile. My kitties can get pretty frisky at times and are very curious. Do you think it's possible? Sorry if this sounds like a bit much but I just really want all my animals to be happy.

Thanks

Re: Can I get a ball python if I have 2 cats?

I have 3 dogs all over 100 lbs. The biggest being 160. I wouldn't even put my ball pythons in a situation where any of them had a chance of being swatted at by my dogs. I suggest if you did the same with your cats, everyone would be able to live in harmony.

But being worried about a cat getting in your snake enclosure, has long as your cat doesn't have thumbs to open a latch, pull a tub, or take a screen lock off. You should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RebelCue; 05-06-2020 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks

Red face Re: Can I get a ball python if I have 2 cats?

thanks! That's reassuring to know lol. I'll be making sure the enclosure is safe and very secure ofc. I appreciate the feedback!

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    I can't really see a bp being able to kill the average fully grown cat, and they wouldn't really have a reason to unless they were trying to eat it. Which, if the snake is kept in a proper enclosure, they'll never have a chance to escape and ponder that choice. As well as a bp never coming close to large enough to eat a cat, so it shouldn't feel the need to at all. Your cats are way more dangerous to the snake, but just make sure you use sturdy cages (that means no screen tops - unless you have a room dedicated to the snake the cats have no access to), and keep the cats and snake separated when you bring the snake out. I usually either lock the cats in a room, or take the snakes outside.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-06-2020),GoingPostal (05-07-2020),Meowzers (05-06-2020),RickyNY (05-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I agree...you should NEVER handle your snake near your cats (or vice-versa)...when you take your snake out, keep the cats locked in another room, or you & the snake
    stay in a safe room...don't "tempt fate" as your cats can easily injure or kill your BP. Very unlikely that your snake would be interested, much less a danger to your cats.

Cats have been known to knock the screen tops off of glass tanks to attack snakes or other pets inside...I can't stress this enough, you need to make the cage cat-proof.

I have 2 dogs, btw- they're mellow & used to me having snakes & couldn't care less, but I don't allow them near each other anyway...best to "err on the side of caution".

And it's totally your responsibility to see that your snake never escapes...if it does, it won't likely end well, so don't get careless...please?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-06-2020 at 06:41 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (05-06-2020),GoingPostal (05-07-2020),Meowzers (05-06-2020),RickyNY (05-06-2020)

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Can I get a ball python if I have 2 cats?

Ah don't worry I'm putting a lot of time and research into this decision. I'd never ever put any animal in danger. I'll definitely be making sure the enclosure is super secure so the snake can't get out. Thank you for the feedback!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meowzers For This Useful Post:

303_enfield (05-06-2020),Bogertophis (05-06-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Please, don't put the enclosure in the same room as the cats. Cats are the predator an the snake is the prey. The cats will stress the snake. Cats will sit on top or in front of the enclosure batting at the snake. For the cats it's live tv, they love it. Just like cats do with fish tanks. Don't introduce the snake to the cats. Don't have the snake out with the cats. The biggest BP can't eat a full size cat. Large rat, yes, small newborn kitten maybe. Now, a full grown cat would bite the head an kill the snake. House cats are just miniature lions. If you search youtube you'll find some vids of cats trying to get to the snakes in tanks to get an idea.

I've had Maine Coon an Manx cats that killed snakes an bought them home. It's real fun having Kitty bring a six foot rattler into the kitchen.

BP's can be some of the calmest snakes. Many call they puppy dogs. But they are still snakes. They want heat, shelter an food. Sometimes when the time is right they seek a mate. They don't come when called an don't sit, stay or beg. They are a thing of beauty to be enjoyed.

Good luck!

I finished typing after you posted. Looks like you'll be fine.

Good luck!
    Last edited by 303_enfield; 05-06-2020 at 08:20 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (05-07-2020)