Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 550

0 members and 550 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Hognose substrate and tank size questions

Hi there! I'm new to the community and I'm thinking about getting my first snake. I've worked with many different snakes, but I would really love to own a western hognose snake. However, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information about their care so I wanted to clear some things up.

First, I was wondering if there are any alternatives to aspen bedding. I am completely willing to use aspen bedding if it is the best option, but I personally don't find it aesthetically pleasing, so I was just wondering if there are other bedding options that work just as well.

Second, what is the best enclosure size for a male western hognose? I've heard everything from 10 gallons to 40 gallons. I already own both 5-gallon and 10-gallon tanks, so I could use those while the hognose is still young, but I'm not sure how big I should go once it's full-grown.

Thank you!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tanks size will depends on the animal size if your snake is 50 grams or under you want a 6 quarts tub or 5 gallons tank.

As for an adult male or female will do fine in a 20 gallons tank.

As far as beeding coco husk such as bed a beast is a great substrate, absorbent but also allow to promote hognose natural behaviour.

Now keep in mind coco coir comes into a break that you have to break by soaking in water and because of that you need to give it time to dry before used once broken up.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-06-2020),GoingPostal (05-06-2020),vivi (05-06-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    You're in great hands with Deb of Stewart Reptiles. She's extremely knowledgeable (especially regarding Hognose) and always happy to help.

A few years back I had taken in a Hognose for a friend who couldn't get him to eat. I was just going to get him started and the friend was gonna take him back once he had a few meals in him....well, the friend bailed and I became a Hognose keeper. Thankfully Deb got me on track right away and my boy, now known as Cosmo, has thrived ever since.

I personally keep my hognose on aspen, although I don't like Aspen at all. It's messy and ugly, but works well for him. I keep all my other snakes on coco coir, but Cosmo seems to utilize the Aspen to burrow more easily than he did on coco. But I know he'd be perfectly fine on coco too.

My boy is in a ten gallon that he'll be in for life. Males stay pretty small, and a ten gallon is plenty of room.

Huge thumbs up to you for being prepared before bringing an animal home.
    Just make sure the enclosure and equipment is working properly and dialed in before bringing the snake home and you'll be off to a great start.

Here's Cosmo's original thread if you're interested...

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-to-the-family

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

vivi (05-06-2020)