Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,079

1 members and 3,078 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescue BP

Thanks

Rescue BP

Hey guys!

I’m “rescuing” a BP from a lady in one of my sister’s Facebook groups. Apparently she was given it as a gift a couple years ago and half-heatedly took care of it for a couple years but just doesn’t want to deal with it anymore. My sister just picked it up and I’m getting it from her on Wednesday. I’ve already bought some supplies I know it’s going to need by looking at its current enclosure (no proper hides, no heat lamp...) and I plan on taking it to the vet after I get it and clean it’s tank to make sure it’s healthy and get it sexed. (Although... should I wait a bit so it can de-stress some before I bring it In?) The lady who had it never bothered to find out. She thinks it’s about 3 years old.

Anyway, I’m looking for tips on how best to retrain/rehab it. Apparently it hasn’t been handled very much, and it had gone about 6 weeks without feeding when my sister picked it up. She already fed it two mice tonight which it ate pretty quickly. But she walked past its tank later and it lunges at her/got its teeth stuck in the lid. It’s probably just still hungry and stressed, I told her to feed it another mouse tomorrow and try to cover the tank with a blanket or something to reduce stimuli.

What is the best way to get it used to being handled? (And realistically how often should I prepare to be bitten in this process?) And what other things should I take into consideration as I transition it to my home/care. I don’t want to stress it too much right away by handling it too much. I’m still relatively new to the ball python world, but I’ve had one other BP now for about a year, even though he’s still quite young and already very used to being handled a lot.

Any advice you all have is very much appreciated! I can only imagine the care it’s received over the last few years by the current state of its tank and its behavior.... breaks my heart. I just want to give him/her the best home possible.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Boba For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    Your sister should NOT feed it another mouse so soon after it ate, as that will throw off the snake's digestion & likely cause it to regurgitate ALL it has just eaten. Not
    only that, but then she (or you) will need to wait several weeks before feeding it again so that it has time to replenish digestive enzymes...otherwise, it may keep on
    regurgitating meals & can even die from the resulting dehyhdration if you don't. PLEASE contact your sister before she feeds it again...that can cause a BIG set-back.

For best results with a very hungry & under-fed snake, don't feed big meals all at once anyway...it can easily be too much for it's stomach. Feeding is the important thing-
    not sexing, & not running to the vet just for a check up (unless there's a real obvious problem). You want to allow it to settle in, eat, relax & repeat about 3 times BEFORE
    you try to handle or take it anywhere. Do keep a watch for mites, just in case. But let it de-stress- new homes are SCARY for a snake. And a hungry snake can be scary
    for you, so just slow down & be patient. Eating is job #1 for the snake, not handling. Stay patient, you'll get there, & for taking in a snake in need. Keep us posted?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Boba (05-03-2020),GoingPostal (05-07-2020)

Thanks

Rescue BP

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Your sister should NOT feed it another mouse so soon after it ate, as that will throw off the snake's digestion & likely cause it to regurgitate ALL it has just eaten. Not
    only that, but then she (or you) will need to wait several weeks before feeding it again so that it has time to replenish digestive enzymes...otherwise, it may keep on
    regurgitating meals & can even die from the resulting dehyhdration if you don't. PLEASE contact your sister before she feeds it again...that can cause a BIG set-back.

For best results with a very hungry & under-fed snake, don't feed big meals all at once anyway...it can easily be too much for it's stomach. Feeding is the important thing-
    not sexing, & not running to the vet just for a check up (unless there's a real obvious problem). You want to allow it to settle in, eat, relax & repeat about 3 times BEFORE
    you try to handle or take it anywhere. Do keep a watch for mites, just in case. But let it de-stress- new homes are SCARY for a snake. And a hungry snake can be scary
    for you, so just slow down & be patient. Eating is job #1 for the snake, not handling. Stay patient, you'll get there, & for taking in a snake in need. Keep us posted?
    Ok thanks! The only reason I though she should re-feed is because the only mice the pet store near her had were definitely too small for his size. But I’ll let her know.

What about cleaning his tank? It’s something I really want to do ASAP because there is a lot of discarded shed and feces scattered around. Still wait for 3 good feeds to take care of that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boba; 05-03-2020 at 11:10 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Boba For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-03-2020)

Thanks
    Feces and shed should be removed as soon as possible. (The one exception to this are bioactive enclosures.)
    vivi

Thanks
    Oh yes...clean the heck out of that cage! While you do that, put the snake in a box or snake bag (pillow case) to rest- out of your way, then with minimal handling, tuck
    him in to rest & digest. If his meal was that small, you still need to wait 5-7 days before feeding again...that's what is safe for the snake, their digestion is NOT like ours.

From revisiting your other thread, I think this one is in good hands with you & you'll have him calmed down in no time once he's fed regularly & feeling better. Very few
    BPs are actually biters by nature...they're mostly shy & sweet, which is why so many people own them to begin with. How anyone can mistreat a snake by giving too little
    food or care is beyond me, but things are looking up for this lucky snake. Gender is not important at all, and that gives you plenty of time to think up names for either,
    or just do a unisex name.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Boba (05-03-2020)

Thanks

Re: Rescue BP

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Oh yes...clean the heck out of that cage! While you do that, put the snake in a box or snake bag (pillow case) to rest- out of your way, then with minimal handling, tuck
    him in to rest & digest. If his meal was that small, you still need to wait 5-7 days before feeding again...that's what is safe for the snake, their digestion is NOT like ours.

From revisiting your other thread, I think this one is in good hands with you & you'll have him calmed down in no time once he's fed regularly & feeling better. Very few
    BPs are actually biters by nature...they're mostly shy & sweet, which is why so many people own them to begin with. How anyone can mistreat a snake by giving too little
    food or care is beyond me, but things are looking up for this lucky snake. Gender is not important at all, and that gives you plenty of time to think up names for either,
    or just do a unisex name.
    Thank youuu

Thanks
    What I'd likely do (from your description & without seeing it first) even though it's about 3 years old as far as you know, I'd feed it small meals about once a week
    for a while (as if it was much younger). That should be better tolerated & then you can gradually upsize the prey & feed at longer intervals. Snakes do survive adversity
    in the wild, so hopefully with some of your "TLC" he'll soon be improving.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Boba (05-03-2020),GoingPostal (05-07-2020)

Thanks

Re: Rescue BP

Got him settled in, tank cleaned, proper hide added and temp/humidity being regulated. Honestly looks very happy and calm, not nearly as stressed as I thought he’d be.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boba For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-06-2020),PartySnake13 (05-07-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Read this as a guide:
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...=feeding+guide

Just take your time with him. After feeding wait three days before you trying to handle him. (If a feeding bump can still be seen 48 hrs. don't handle an you overfed.) If your on the Eastern Shore of VA I'll give you some ASF for him.

He looks good for a rescue!

Good luck!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-06-2020)

Thanks
    I agree...he looks in pretty good shape to me as well, but you never know so don't take let down your guard. I think you're both lucky, him for 'finding' you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast