Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,816

2 members and 2,814 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Best Dwarf Boa imperator locality

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_MD View Post
    Anyone have experience with the Caulker Cay Boas? Not that I see any available, but are they essentially like the Crawl Cay with a slightly different pattern and color?
    As far as I know their husbandry requirements are pretty much the same. I think (I could be wrong) they get about the same size as well. The only differences that I could see is the locality difference and the caulker cay boas have a darker more cryptic patter. They're both beautiful boas.

Thanks
    The Tarahumaras are the way to go if space is at a premium. They shouldn't need anything more than a 4'x2'x2' if you want to go the PVC enclosure route.
    Well - Space is definitely at a premium - since my reptile room was originally meant to be a small bedroom(~8'x8).

The 4'x2'x2' PVC cage size is also interesting as that the minimum adult size cage, often stated for SD retics as well. But then it is also possible to keep them(pure SD retics) in rack systems as well - but larger females need tubs which are designed for larger Boa imperators. Granted the PVC cages are better in terms of room for the snakes and looks for the owner. But those advantages may be often out weighted by their cost and the amount of space they take up.

Given that I already have 2 species(50% dwarf burms, SD retics) which will eventually get to be a quite large (7-9') - I think I need Boas which will stay smaller than my Hog Islands (less than 6'). Localities which can be kept similar to Ball pythons - in 32-52 quart tubs, or maybe even in tubs as large as 58-66 quart(20"x40"x7").
    Snakes
    1.0 Pure Hog Island Boas (Boa imperator) - "Boss"
    0.1 Tamaulipas Cloud Forest Boa (Boa imperator) - "Elena"
    0.1 Ivory/Super YB Ball Python (Python regius) - "Ivory"
    1.1 Cape York Spotted Python (Antaresia maculosa) - "Irwin & Iris"
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Acrantophis dumerili) - "Lysse"
    1.0 75% Super Dwarf Retic (Malayopython reticulatus) - "Kal"

Lizards
    0.1 Yellow Ackie Monitor
    (Varanus acanthurus) - "Gigi"

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    My adult Tarahumara females have plenty of room in Hefty 52-qt underbed storage tubs.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Krj2501 (05-08-2020),vivi (05-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krj2501 View Post
    The 4'x2'x2' PVC cage size is also interesting as that the minimum adult size cage, often stated for SD retics as well. But then it is also possible to keep them(pure SD retics) in rack systems as well - but larger females need tubs which are designed for larger Boa imperators. Granted the PVC cages are better in terms of room for the snakes and looks for the owner. But those advantages may be often out weighted by their cost and the amount of space they take up.

Given that I already have 2 species(50% dwarf burms, SD retics) which will eventually get to be a quite large (7-9') - I think I need Boas which will stay smaller than my Hog Islands (less than 6'). Localities which can be kept similar to Ball pythons - in 32-52 quart tubs, or maybe even in tubs as large as 58-66 quart(20"x40"x7").
    I'm of the philosophy that the length of the enclosure should equal or exceed the length of the snake, so my minimum enclosure sizes are larger than most. I consider this rule a hard minimum for active snakes such as retics and colubrids. Yes, larger cages are more expensive, take up more room, and can sometimes be trickier to set up and dial in. The opportunity for exercise and enrichment that comes with more space is better for snakes in the long run, though -- and by long run, I mean the full 20-30+ year lifespan of many snakes. What you decide to do is ultimately up to you. If you decide to build up towards large enclosures over the long term, great! If you prefer tubs, try to give your snakes the largest tubs possible and as many opportunities for exercise and enrichment as you can give them.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

aurum (05-05-2020),Caitlin (05-05-2020),dkt2k (05-11-2020),GoingPostal (05-09-2020)

Thanks
    While - I agree that a cage or tub with the length + width equal to or greater than the snake's total length is ideal. However - it may not always be possible to do. In such cases - it is good to have a climbing tree for those snakes to get some additional exercise & enrichment.

Another thing I am considering for my larger snakes as they get closer to being an adult - is possible building a DIY PVC cage. As I can likely save at least $ 60-80 per cage(not including shipping).
    Snakes

Lizards
    0.1 Yellow Ackie Monitor

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Krj2501 For This Useful Post:

dkt2k (05-11-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Late to the thread, but I recommend getting in touch with Tommy Carpenter at TC Reptiles.

He specializes in Locale Boas and I think breeds most or all of the species you listed.

Tommy is a great guy and very passionate. He will be happy to talk shop with you.

I bought Feliz, my dwarf Venezuelan Red Tail/BC from him and it was a great experience all around. Feliz is awesome and I really liked working with Tommy. I've stayed in touch with him and referred others to him as well. He was actually a big help when I had some questions with Behira my female Ghost BI who was shedding very frequently.

Really I cannot say enough about him.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-20-2020),Krj2501 (05-08-2020)

Thanks

The only 'dwarf' Boa I have personally worked with is the Hog Island Boa. These snakes generally have a great temperament, are good feeders and don't grow as large as the mainland variety.

There is a lot of debate over the genetic purity of these snakes in captivity as they are commonly bred to 'mainland' Boas. All I would say is if you can see the parents and they are both good examples of a Hog Island Boa then that is good enough for me. This is provided that you are looking for a pet and lineage tracing isn't as important.

Thanks
    Are the dwarf Boas any more arboreal than BCC or BCI? Do they spend more time perched or about the same?

Thanks
    The only 'dwarf' Boa I have personally worked with is the
    Hog Island Boa
    . These snakes generally have a great temperament, are good feeders and don't grow as large as the mainland variety.
    Based on my limited personal experiences with my pair - I tend to agree with you. Although I also agree that Hog Island Boas are better called a "semi-dwarf" than an actual "dwarf". Since exceptionally large females are known to exceed 6.5 feet/2 meters in length.
    Are the dwarf Boas any more arboreal than BCC or BCI?
    I am not sure they could be considered as more arboreal - as even adult mainland imperators or constrictors can often found in trees in the wild. But based on wild reports, the dwarf and semi-dwarf localities do seem to be at least "as arboreal" as mainland imperators & constrictors.
    Snakes

Lizards
    0.1 Yellow Ackie Monitor

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Krj2501 For This Useful Post:

dkt2k (05-11-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krj2501 View Post
    I am not sure they could be considered as more arboreal - as even adult mainland imperators or constrictors can often found in trees in the wild. But based on wild reports, the dwarf and semi-dwarf localities do seem to be at least "as arboreal" as mainland imperators & constrictors.
    Right. Was wondering if their smaller size led to more climbing and perching than say a heavier bodied adult BCC/BCI.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast