Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,807

1 members and 2,806 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Best Dwarf Boa imperator locality

I was wondering which is the best dwarf boa imperator locality in terms of their temperament based on personal experiences.

The specific localities I am looking at are the following -

- Tarahumara Mt. Boas
    - Sonoran Boas
    - Tamaulipas Boas
    - Corn Island Boas

- Caulker Cay Boas
    - Crawl Cay Boas
    - Cancun Boas
    Snakes
    1.0 Pure Hog Island Boas (Boa imperator) - "Boss"
    0.1 Tamaulipas Cloud Forest Boa (Boa imperator) - "Elena"
    0.1 Ivory/Super YB Ball Python (Python regius) - "Ivory"
    1.1 Cape York Spotted Python (Antaresia maculosa) - "Irwin & Iris"
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Acrantophis dumerili) - "Lysse"
    1.0 75% Super Dwarf Retic (Malayopython reticulatus) - "Kal"

Lizards
    0.1 Yellow Ackie Monitor
    (Varanus acanthurus) - "Gigi"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Re: Best Dwarf Boa imperator locality

I highly recommend checking out the "Brian Boas" Youtube channel for this! He keeps Tarahumaras, both of the Cay localities, and Corn Islands, and has done specific videos on those first three localities. The Corn Island boas don't have their own specific video yet, but they frequently appear in others. Based on what I heard in these videos, Corn Island boas are much more active than other boas, and almost colubrid-like in their behavior. If you're looking for a chill shoulder pet, this isn't the locality for you. The Cay localities are semi-arboreal and appreciate the opportunity to climb in their enclosure, but otherwise seem to have your typical boa temperament. Tarahumaras (and other Mexican localities) can be a bit hissy as babies, but ultimately mellow out as adults.

I personally own a Sonoran and found her to be very docile and inquisitive. She hasn't hissed or snapped at me since she was four months old! She's mellow when she's out and is content to either sit with me or poke around a little bit. She was also very cooperative when I needed to treat a rub on her nose -- once she found a good place to lay her head down, she let me clean her nose without flinching away or making a fuss. Most Sonorans will be a bit hissier than her as babies -- and they can hiss quite loudly, from what I understand -- but most ultimately mellow out with a bit of maturity and frequent, gentle handling. They're highly underrated boas, in my opinion. If you're interested, I can point you in the direction of a couple of good breeders.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (05-03-2020),dkt2k (05-11-2020)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

I've kept corn Islands, Nicaraguan and I've got a leopard, who's mum was pure sonoran,
    All have been great, the odd hiss when little but never a bite, the corn was much more active than the Nicaraguan, all was great feeders as are most boas and all inquisitive too

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (05-03-2020),dkt2k (05-11-2020),PartySnake13 (05-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I only have Tarahumaras. The adults are fine, no different than any other boa imperator. The litter from last year is 9 months old now and all are still defensive and hissy, but they only strike if provoked. They are definitely improving but it takes patience and gentle handling.

It's really too bad because from a husbandry standpoint they're easier than ball pythons as they can handle a wider temperature and humidity range, but their temperaments will scare off people who are new to owning reptiles.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-05-2020),Caitlin (05-03-2020),dkt2k (05-11-2020),richardhind1972 (05-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    I highly recommend checking out the "Brian Boas" Youtube channel for this!
    Here's one of Brian's excellent videos that may help address your question - "Boa Behavior and Temperament by Locality":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FUw1g3a3v4&t=361s

Additional note: I am no expert on Tarahumara, as I am a new owner, but I'll agree with bcr229 that these little Boas, while very vocal and hissy as babies, seem to be really gentle. Both of mine are just 8 months old. They hiss up a storm when I am getting them out of their enclosures, but as soon as they are out they seem quite content to sit quietly in my hands or slowly explore. I think they will be real sweethearts once they get past their scared baby stage. And honestly, the hissing is funny and not scary since they are such little guys.
    Last edited by Caitlin; 05-03-2020 at 04:24 PM.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-05-2020),dkt2k (05-11-2020),richardhind1972 (05-03-2020)

Thanks
    I have seen some of the youtube videos from "Brian's Boas", specifically the dwarf localities. I definitely tend to agree with him on the temperament of Hog Island Boas, at least based on my ppersonal experiences with my pair of Hog Island Boas. As the pair I have been wonderfully chill snakes from the first day I got them.

I am especially interested in the Mexican localities as I presently have a small reptile room, so I like the smaller size. And I also love the looks of the Tarahumaras, and Sonorans. Also is it true that are they currently both classified as Boa Sigma, instead of Boa imperator?

As for the activity of Corn Island boas - I tend to doubt they would be more active than my SD retics.
    Last edited by Krj2501; 05-03-2020 at 05:37 PM.
    Snakes
    1.0 Pure Hog Island Boas (Boa imperator) - "Boss"
    0.1 Tamaulipas Cloud Forest Boa (Boa imperator) - "Elena"
    0.1 Ivory/Super YB Ball Python (Python regius) - "Ivory"
    1.1 Cape York Spotted Python (Antaresia maculosa) - "Irwin & Iris"
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Acrantophis dumerili) - "Lysse"
    1.0 75% Super Dwarf Retic (Malayopython reticulatus) - "Kal"

Lizards
    0.1 Yellow Ackie Monitor
    (Varanus acanthurus) - "Gigi"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Krj2501 For This Useful Post:

dkt2k (05-11-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krj2501 View Post
    I am especially interested in the Mexican localities as I presently have a small reptile room, so I like the smaller size. And I also love the looks of the Tarahumaras, and Sonorans. Also is it true that are they currently both classified as Boa Sigma, instead of Boa imperator?
    I've read a few places that they are now "boa sigma" but haven't seen an official cite.

If housing space is at a premium then Tarahumaras are the way to go. My males never outgrew 32-qt tubs. It doesn't mean you can't give them more space and they'll stress out over it like ball pythons do either, if you want to go with display enclosures they'll be good in that sort of setup also.

Thanks

I have a pair of crawl cay boas and I absolutely love them. They both have amazing temperaments and have never been nippy. My male is a VERY finicky eater but I think he's an exception to the rule when it comes to boas. I'd like to get more dwarf locales but they're not super easy to find. Maybe I can get ahold of a pair of tarahumaras from bcr if she breeds them (hint hint)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (05-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Yes, Sonorans and Tarahumaras are considered Boa sigma now, at least by some. Here's the citation for the academic paper that proposed the B. sigma classification:

Card, D.C., Schield, D.R., Adams, R.H., Corbin, A.B., Perry, B.W., Andrew, A.L., Pasquesi, G.I.M., Smith, E.N., Jezkova, T., Boback, S.M., Booth, W. & Castoe, T.A. Phylogeographic and population genetic analyses reveal multiple species of Boa and independent origins of insular dwarfism. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. 102, 104-116

I agree with bcr229. The Tarahumaras are the way to go if space is at a premium. They shouldn't need anything more than a 4'x2'x2' if you want to go the PVC enclosure route. Sonorans will have a foot over Tarahumaras on average, though they're still fairly small as far as boas go. The largest females I personally know of are about five and a half feet and fairly old. You could keep a Sonoran in a 4'x2'x2' as well, though I'd argue that females would appreciate a little extra space. There's a non-zero chance I may upgrade my female from her 4'x2'x2' in the future.

And yeah, the Corn Island boas definitely won't be as active as your SD retics! They will be considerably more active than the Hog Islands, though. If you're looking for a more relaxed, shoulder pet-type of boa, they may not be what you're looking for. They are beautiful, though.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (05-04-2020),dkt2k (05-11-2020)

Thanks
    Anyone have experience with the Caulker Cay Boas? Not that I see any available, but are they essentially like the Crawl Cay with a slightly different pattern and color?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast