Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,972

1 members and 2,971 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    Maybe I missed it, but grow tents aren't usually see through. Are you just not planning on seeing your snake?
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Grow Tent as BCI Enclosure?

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but grow tents aren't usually see through. Are you just not planning on seeing your snake?
    I think some have "windows" but I wondered that too...that would be a HUGE downside for me.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Part of the problem is that even if we've seen a "grow tent" before, they vary WIDELY & all we can do is be a bit skeptical (in favor of what's best for the snake)

without SEEING exactly what you're intending to do. For me personally, I'm still a glass tank fan, & for what it's worth, I don't think storage tubs are any worse

for snakes that what you're trying to do with a grow tent, & they might even be worse...I'm just not a fan of plastics in general. But in the same way, I'd caution

you to find out EXACTLY what your grow tent is made of and what chemicals may remain on the surface that your snake can inhale or absorb*. There are many

things used these days, even in clothing intended to be next to OUR skin that can cause problems, & snakes don't have the size or the immune system that we

have. One reason I favor glass is that it's inert & doesn't off-gas chemicals...so what about these grow-tents? Manufacturers don't worry about health problems

or lawsuits when you're using a product in a way they did not intend...so please remember that. And I have a feeling that when people first started talking

about using plastic storage bins to house snakes there were just as many objections then as you're getting now. I love "thinking outside the box" but just

don't forget that safety (health!) comes first over any advantages. I look forward to your updates, actually.

(*for example, the camping kind of tents can be treated with fungicidal chemicals, which are toxic...anything like that used on grow-tents? & remember brands may differ widely.)

That's actually an interesting point that I didn't think about, I'd think they'd be safe considering they're generally used for plants meant for human consumption so their should be some level of attention to potentially dangerous chemicals. I plan on washing the tent then letting it air out for a while. The good thing with grow tents generally is that even the top of the line brands are still affordable, and all of them use the same 600D Mylar which I'll have to do some research on. I have never heard of any problems with this from the tegu community either, since they're pretty much the must well documented group of reptile keepers using grow tents I might ask around and see what I can find out about this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post

I'm deliberately trying not to mention specific brands here, but the brand I plan on using does have viewing windows on their tents and it definitely would be a huge downside if it didn't.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JP23 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-06-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JP23 View Post
    That's actually an interesting point that I didn't think about, I'd think they'd be safe considering they're generally used for plants meant for human consumption so their should be some level of attention to potentially dangerous chemicals. I plan on washing the tent then letting it air out for a while. The good thing with grow tents generally is that even the top of the line brands are still affordable, and all of them use the same 600D Mylar which I'll have to do some research on. I have never heard of any problems with this from the tegu community either, since they're pretty much the must well documented group of reptile keepers using grow tents I might ask around and see what I can find out about this.
    While they're used for plants that are meant for human consumption, plants are not normally touching the sides of the tent, are they? And even so, you wash fruits & veggies prior to eating them...at least you should. Just be careful not to "assume" it's safe. Even when you buy new clothing they recommend you wash it prior to wearing it, because the cloth has been treated with various things, yet most of us don't do that. Just want to be very sure with alternative uses, & for sure wipe it down first before using.

I just looked & found this (claim non-toxic):
    http://www.growshopchina.com/sale-80...rial-600d.html
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-06-2020 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks

While they're used for plants that are meant for human consumption, plants are not normally touching the sides of the tent, are they? And even so, you wash fruits & veggies prior to eating them...at least you should. Just be careful not to "assume" it's safe. Even when you buy new clothing they recommend you wash it prior to wearing it, because the cloth has been treated with various things, yet most of us don't do that. Just want to be very sure with alternative uses, & for sure wipe it down first before using.

I just looked & found this (claim non-toxic):
    http://www.growshopchina.com/sale-80...rial-600d.html
    If everything works out like I'm thinking, she'll hardly be able to make contact with the walls of the grow tent itself. I'm lining the walls with bamboo sheets and I might line the bottom with something to hold the substrate better. I'm even considering a bioactive enclosure (should be easy enough in a grow tent xD) which should make it so that she has a hard time reaching the bottom of the tent through the substrate also, so unless she's constantly rubbing on the top of the tent I'd think everything would be fine.

Thanks
    Same questions apply for the bamboo... Just because a product came from nature doesn't mean it's still "natural" or safe, not treated with potentially toxic stuff.

Question: the mylar is bonded to a nylon canvas fabric, right? the only mylar I'm familiar with tears easily (mylar balloons & auto shades), it's very thin? Just thinking
    how a heavy boa might push around branches or the water bowl & could maybe tear the finish? I may be wrong, wish I had a sample of the material in front of me.

Thanks

Same questions apply for the bamboo... Just because a product came from nature doesn't mean it's still "natural" or safe, not treated with potentially toxic stuff.

Question: the mylar is bonded to a nylon canvas fabric, right? the only mylar I'm familiar with tears easily (mylar balloons & auto shades), it's very thin? Just thinking
    how a heavy boa might push around branches or the water bowl & could maybe tear the finish? I may be wrong, wish I had a sample of the material in front of me.
    Yeah, the mylar is the reflective material on the inside that is bonded to canvas fabric. I've always just heard the whole thing referenced to as "600D mylar fabric" and I just say mylar. How easy it is to tear would depend on the quality of the tent, which if someone was to use them for reptiles I'd have to say it's a MUST to buy from a reputable brand. I feel like this wouldn't be too much of an issue or big lizard keepers who use grow tents would mention it which I haven't seen. I need to research more on the safety of the bamboo for snakes in particular but from what I've seen the tegu keepers haven't had any problems with it. That's been a pretty big theme with my research is just referencing back to the only actual recorded use of tents in the hobby which are tegu keepers. So far I haven't heard a lot of negative experiences from them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JP23 View Post
    Yeah, the mylar is the reflective material on the inside that is bonded to canvas fabric. I've always just heard the whole thing referenced to as "600D mylar fabric" and I just say mylar. How easy it is to tear would depend on the quality of the tent, which if someone was to use them for reptiles I'd have to say it's a MUST to buy from a reputable brand. I feel like this wouldn't be too much of an issue or big lizard keepers who use grow tents would mention it which I haven't seen. I need to research more on the safety of the bamboo for snakes in particular but from what I've seen the tegu keepers haven't had any problems with it. That's been a pretty big theme with my research is just referencing back to the only actual recorded use of tents in the hobby which are tegu keepers. So far I haven't heard a lot of negative experiences from them.
    Well if tegus aren't tearing it with their nails, it must be OK? But I just know from experience that some "bonded materials" don't stay that way (bonded) forever.

Thanks

I never personally had an issue with my grow tent when I used it for my plants, and I abused it for a good couple of years. I don't know the method they use to bond the mylar, or if there are some that hold up better than others. I haven't seen many complaints from general reviews of the tents on amazon and I would definitely think that tegu owners would be the first people to become aware of this issue. I think if it's well taken care of it will last just fine, especially if protected from the animal by lining it in some way on the inside.
    Last edited by JP23; 05-06-2020 at 05:36 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JP23 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-06-2020)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast