Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,104

2 members and 3,102 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

BP won't sit still while handled? Is handling stressing him?

Hello! I've never interacted with a BP before this sweetie was basically dropped off with me (started as pet sitting for a weekend but the friend wasn't able to take him back) so I'm not familiar with their behavior . He's around 3 1/2 ft, shedding normally, and has absolutely no problems feeding at all or being picked up even by strangers; he hasn't hissed or anything like that. But when he is being held he tends to roam/move a lot, unlike people who just like wrap them around their neck and the snake just chills there (I haven't done that, it still intimidates me a bit to hold him in general lol). His tongue flickers and he seems to be exploring/sniffing, and doesn't recoil when you touch near his head.

Is that a good sign that he's not balling up defensively, or is that him trying to escape because he's stressed out from being handled and wants to get away?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    It's a good sign that he's not balling up or biting & hissing defensively, & especially that he doesn't freak out when you touch near his head. He sounds mostly just curious...that's normal, & it sounds to me that with a little more time together, you'll both learn to trust each other. It sounds to me like you've gotten "stuck with" a really nice pet.

After your snake knows you better (give it time) he'll probably also learn to relax more & sit still, but many calm snakes just don't sit still very much anyway...they all have their own personalities & moods. Most snakes are shy by nature, & most BPs are mellow, but they can still be curious...after all, they're cooped up most of the time.

As far as allowing him to snuggle around your neck, many snakes love to do that because your neck is warm & it feels very secure. Very few BPs would put a squeeze on your neck either, but in the interest of safety & even when handling a seemingly docile snake, it's a good idea (IF you allow him around your neck) to always keep one hand inside the loop of his body...in other words, to protect your neck. Snakes are deceptively strong, & sometimes they may tighten up if they feel like they might fall, for example, & even though it's nothing personal, it might be less than comfortable for you. So just be safe & either don't allow it, or at the very least, don't let them completely close the loop on your neck, & keep one hand in the game.

to living with snakes...they really make cool pets, IMO...and they're low maintenance compared to dogs & cats.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-01-2020 at 09:40 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bananamix (05-01-2020),EL-Ziggy (05-02-2020),Kerimac (05-01-2020),Reptile$ 4 Life (05-01-2020)

Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: BP won't sit still while handled? Is handling stressing him?

Yep that is normal behavior, at least in my experience. My bp loves to explore and rarely sits completely still in peoples hands. If/when you do you do place your bp around your neck just remember that you are a living moving tree to them and so when they do grip on they aren't trying to strangle you, they just are holding on. The good thing about a bp is that, if the squeezing does get uncomfortable you have the ability to move them off, GENTLY, unlike a larger snake, which probably shouldn't be wrapped around your neck in the first place. As stated above as you handle your bp it will slowly grow to trust you more, and in my experience grip less tightly.

Have a great time with your little friend!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptile$ 4 Life For This Useful Post:

bananamix (05-01-2020)

Thanks

Oh, that's a relief to know! I'm already looking forward to it!
    And they truly are low maintenance; I'm so used to fussing over my dogs that I almost feel guilty not doing anything with the snake haha. Thank you very much for the info! ^^

Thanks
    One thing I've noticed with many snakes over the years -& I know this will sound - is that they seem to "like" being very slightly rocked. Many get mellow & do sit still when I hold them as I sit in a hammock or just sway slightly myself...it surprised me when it first happened, & still it makes no sense- it has no logical reason in nature- but I've seen it often enough, & anyway, it can't hurt to try. Maybe they somehow sense that WE are more relaxed? I dunno...just saying. Just don't do this when you're sleepy, 'cause if you fall asleep, you'll wake up to a serious game of hide & seek, & snakes are SO much better at hiding than we are at finding them.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-02-2020 at 12:22 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Kerimac (05-02-2020)

Thanks

My 7 year old got her first snake about 2 months ago. They bonded immediately in the reptile store. I thought by taking her and having her hold one, she may not like it. #fail....... It took me 2 hours and 15 minutes to get her out of the store and she had named him (so of course I put a deposit down). This last reply makes me understand the behavior that I found funny/odd, which may not be so odd after all. She walks around the house with him around her arm and against her body and slightly bounces and he is so content. I asked her the first time, "Are you seriously walking around bouncing him?" Her response to me..... "What? I'm a new mommy and every new mother knows the mama bounce for their baby." She wants all kinds of snakes and to have her own YouTube channel. She researches about them on what she calls "the browser web", lol. She has learned so much about different species already and has decided we can stop at 5 in the house before I have to get a climate controlled building out back. I'm definitely in trouble. And lucky

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Keri Mac
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Deep Purple Passion BP

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kerimac For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-02-2020),EL-Ziggy (05-02-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Congrats on the new critter!
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kerimac View Post
    My 7 year old got her first snake about 2 months ago. They bonded immediately in the reptile store. I thought by taking her and having her hold one, she may not like it. #fail....... It took me 2 hours and 15 minutes to get her out of the store and she had named him (so of course I put a deposit down). This last reply makes me understand the behavior that I found funny/odd, which may not be so odd after all. She walks around the house with him around her arm and against her body and slightly bounces and he is so content. I asked her the first time, "Are you seriously walking around bouncing him?" Her response to me..... "What? I'm a new mommy and every new mother knows the mama bounce for their baby." She wants all kinds of snakes and to have her own YouTube channel. She researches about them on what she calls "the browser web", lol. She has learned so much about different species already and has decided we can stop at 5 in the house before I have to get a climate controlled building out back. I'm definitely in trouble. And lucky

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    That's adorable! And yes, you're "in trouble"...deep trouble. Snakes are too subtle for some people to "get", even if they like them & enjoy keeping them, but the more you pay close attention, the more you realize that "big brain or not", there's a lot more going on there than most people believe. And for me, that "gentle rocking" has calmed down some pretty hostile serpents. And quite a few snakes also seem to like riding around on my shoulders too. You're raising a great kid there & she's raising you too. The funny thing I've noticed about trying to demonstrate to animals that they are safe with me is that it's also a great 'exercise' for 'being in the moment' and having the same good vibes come right back to me too.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-02-2020 at 12:27 PM.