Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,850

1 members and 1,849 guests
Gio,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Weird Feeding Attempt

I got my ball python about a month ago, so far I've fed him twice, both times he struck the rat, then seemed to forget about it and would eat it later after laying it on top of his hide. Last night I tried to feed him, I let his rat thaw out in the room he is in, and then heated it up with a hair dryer so it would have a heat signature. This time when I went to feed him he didn't even strike, and when I put it on top of his hide, he just went up there and laid on it. I left it for the night, he didn't eat it. Also, he usually goes back in his hide to sleep during the day, but he's still out on top of his hide (I removed the rat this morning so he's not laying on it anymore). The rat was bleeding out of it's nose and there is blood on top of the hide and on him, could he maybe still smell it and is waiting for it or something? He's 7 years old, doesn't have mites, and doesn't seem to have an ri (none of the symptoms). Has this happened to anyone else, and how long should i wait to try to feed him again? Also would it be fine to give him a bath since he has rat blood on him?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts
    You've only had this snake a month, so it would be FAR less stressful for him if you do NOT bathe him, but just wipe him off with a damp paper towel.

Is it possible you are over-feeding him? or perhaps he's going into a shed cycle soon (snakes seem to know before we can see any evidence) & that's why he didn't eat.

It's possible if you aren't thawing the rats properly that the latest one (he didn't eat) may have been too spoiled & that's why he refused. This is a common problem.
    Thaw in cold water until soft thru-out (feel by hand to make sure), then briefly warm in very warm water & briefly use a blow-dryer if needed. Food thaws faster in water
    than in air...by a LOT. Air is actually an insulator- it impairs the loss of heat or cold. And don't use HOT water...it allows spoilage: remember that rodents are FULL of
    bacteria (they're whole animals with GI tract full of bacteria!), just waiting for the temps. to be warm enough to proliferate (grow like crazy!). Snakes have an excellent
    sense of smell, & BPs are NOT consumers of carrion...they want fresh prey, not rotten.

Don't offer food again for at least 2 weeks, & then, ONLY IF he's not in shed.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-01-2020 at 02:06 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

PartySnake13 (05-01-2020),vivi (05-01-2020)

Thanks

Re: Weird Feeding Attempt

I waited a week to feed him, and then fed him again 2 weeks after, he is pretty large at 2000 grams, so both times I gave him a medium. He also just shed last week, I think it was thawing it incorrectly, as the first 2 times I thawed in water, I read that air thawing worked well and since it's easier, decided to give it a try. I'll use your advice and thaw it the way you said next time, thanks!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTot For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-01-2020)

Thanks
    The other thing is that most experienced BP-keepers will advise you that adult male BPs never need to eat more than small rats, not mediums. It's not healthy for them
    to pack on too much weight, & over-feeding just gets you more refusals & wasted food. But I agree, I think spoilage from air thawing was the biggest factor.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    My adult males are fed a small f/t rat every three weeks and even then they will go on hunger strikes periodically. I would either downsize the feeder or increase the duration between feedings if you want to keep him on medium rats.

Thanks

I'll move to four weeks between feedings for the next 2 medium rats, and then move down to small rats. Btw he is 4.5 feet long and very large for a male. Thanks!
    Last edited by SpicyTot; 05-01-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks
    Wonder if he was sexed correctly?

Thanks

Yeah his size surprised me too, he is from a very reputable breeder who I'm pretty sure used him to breed, they said he was their biggest male.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTot For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-01-2020)