Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,104

0 members and 3,104 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: bigger than a beardie smaller than a monitor

Great might do a bit of research on breeding and then decide but Im pretty sure I'm gonna get the Savannah monitor if I can breed the roaches

Thanks
    If cost is an issue, saving up and getting a blue tongue skink or an ackie monitor might be a better bet. Savannas need a big cage with a lot of room to dig. You’ll spend more up front, but you won’t have to turn your spare room into a monitor cage.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzJohn For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-01-2020),dakski (05-01-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I second a northern BTS if you have room for at least a 4X2' enclosure, preferably a 5X2' or 6X2' with nice lighting.

You would need bigger for a Savannah Monitor or even a Quince/Yellow Monitor.

My BTS, Frank, is awesome. He's chill, is a scavenger and is cheap to feed, and he's a rewarding animal to keep.

There are also smaller BTS than the Northerns, that are also less money, but I would try to get CB. I think normal northerns have come down in price as well, and again, you will save a lot on food long-term.

Just my two cents. Ackies are cool, but monitors can take a lot of work with acclimation and keeping them used to you and happy with interacting. I tried that, and that's the one species I've kept (monitors - dwarf tree monitor) that after a year, I gave up and gave back to the breeder.

Frank is about 10X less work than a dwarf monitor and close to the same reward.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-01-2020)

Thanks

We actually already have a cage that we used for a foster iguana at one point and it just sits there we have had several foster reptiles in it but my mom really wanted something to keep in it It is 8 foot long 6 feet wide and has tons of room for dirt I ended up getting the savannah because after talking to some of my friends about it one of them mentioned their uncle trying to get rid of some baby's he had gotten he had 2 and my friend had someone else into getting one but the other one was going to be set loose if he didn't find a home which is awful and should never be done she said if I couldn't take it she could keep it for as long as she could until her landlord found out but I agreed to take it in as of now we have it in a 55 gal doing great and super healthy

Thanks

Agh I have wanted a skink for a long time I was very honestly thinking about saving up for one as it would be so much easier but as I said in the post above I just rescued one I was actually a bit disappointed at first that I wasn't going to be able to get a skink but after spending time with this baby I am in love and adore him I also have the time to give it all the care and attention it needs as not only am I stuck home now due to covid-19 but I also do online schooling normally we also have figured out the feeding info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12