Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,130

2 members and 3,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Anyone here in the military?

Recently I started to get interested in snakes. I thought about getting a ball python after A school. Anyone here who is in the military who owns a snake? Would it be better if I wait until I'm done with service?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    It's better "if" you have off post housing. Most bases Conus forbid reptiles. But many Units have/had Mascots. An there is always that one guy that had every local snake in his room

Now, I'll tell you the bad. Say your Post/Base says reptiles are fine. Your 1st Sergeant is on board an everything is perfect. Then at O dark thirty your phone goes off an the Duty NCO is banging on your door. Three hours later your in full Battle Rattle waiting on the Green ramp for a C5. Your gone for over a year when you come back your house, bank accounts are empty. What about your snakes?

If you have a spouse to take care of your pets if something happens, fine. If your single think before you get any pet. I have ten snakes, six dogs an five Russian tortoises right now because my old Unit is down range.

Finish your schools get to the Unit an keep your mouth shut an learn. Then after you figure out how the Unit is an where you fit in, think about if a pet is right for you.

Wait till your down with the Service? Twenty/thirty years is a long time. Enjoy the Service, do your best but life doesn't stop while you serve.

Good luck an stay safe!
    Last edited by 303_enfield; 04-30-2020 at 08:07 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (04-30-2020),Bogertophis (04-30-2020)

Thanks

Re: Anyone here in the military?

I'm planning on staying for 20 years. It'll be a long time until I'm done with service. I was thinking about waiting until I rank up and live off base, but I don't know what to do if I get deployed. I would hire someone to watch it, but I'm worried if they might steal my stuff.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeKisses View Post
    I'm planning on staying for 20 years. It'll be a long time until I'm done with service. I was thinking about waiting until I rank up and live off base, but I don't know what to do if I get deployed. I would hire someone to watch it, but I'm worried if they might steal my stuff.
    Your house will get robbed when your in the field not just deployed or TDY. Don't worry about it. Local townies know what Unit is doing what an who is getting deployed before you will.

Hire someone? That's not cost effective.

Get to your Unit an learn. Every Post/Base is different to a point. Having any pet takes a network. Weather it's a spouse, family member, retired ____ or broke in the near with the gear buddy.

I'm not saying don't get a pet. I'm saying don't do it yet. Then I'm saying, " DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT TILL YOU TALK TO YOUR 1SG!!!!" Getting busted for having a snake in the barracks isn't fun. Having your wife leave you while deployed an selling your stuff on Craig's list is worse.

You might get the perfect Unit an job. You might be so good at your job the highers think your the person for the job. The job they have in Japan, Germany, Honduras.... You leave tomorrow. NO, Fluffy can't come with you. Shelter number is.

As I posted earlier. I'm watching stuff (animals, guns, cars...) now for my old Unit. I'm retired six months after 25 years.

Many VFW an AL are fostering pets also. An then the shelters around Bases are full because people didn't plan ahead.

Get done with school. Get to your Unit an keep your head down an learn. If you want a pet your going to have work to do before. Don't cut corners an think I'm not going anywhere. That's when Tentpeg Tommy will break his arm an you get to go to a year TDY school that had a three year wait.

Finish school an stay safe!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-30-2020)

Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

I have no experience in this area, but thank you for your service! Stay safe out there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptile$ 4 Life For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-30-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Another vote for do not get one until your situation is more stable. Now that said, you may find someone local who would appreciate some extra help caring for a large collection periodically. So, you could learn and spend time handling different critters without the worry of having to rehome them on short notice because Uncle Sam owns you right now.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-30-2020),GoingPostal (04-30-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    I have served in the military some years ago, & it would be better to wait until you're done with service before getting pets. You may not have time to make arrange-
    ments for someone to care for your pet(s) if you're sent somewhere. So unless you're married & live off-base, & your spouse will care for any pets, I wouldn't try it.
    You might try volunteering in the nearest zoo instead, or do as bcr229 suggested. Abandoning pets isn't fair to them, & the military won't care one bit about it.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)