Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,700

4 members and 2,696 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Heat Lamp color question

I was doing some research and realized I had a question that I could not think of a better place to post it than here, so hopefully you all can answer this question for me! I use a heat lamp, typically it has been the red "night" version. Thinking a little on IR light, wouldn't a red lamp be possibly in their visual spectrum? If they see more into the IR than a red lamp light would be arguably more noticeable than a "daytime" blue? Would blue or red be arguably better, as I am currently still using an overhead heat lamp, much as I have planned on rehousing my BP, this has not yet happened, so she stays in her 40 gallon long. If anyone has any links or can explain one way or another, I would greatly appreciate it!
    Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus - "Always faithful terrible lizard."

Thanks

Re: Heat Lamp color question

Quote Originally Posted by e_nigma View Post
    I was doing some research and realized I had a question that I could not think of a better place to post it than here, so hopefully you all can answer this question for me! I use a heat lamp, typically it has been the red "night" version. Thinking a little on IR light, wouldn't a red lamp be possibly in their visual spectrum? If they see more into the IR than a red lamp light would be arguably more noticeable than a "daytime" blue? Would blue or red be arguably better, as I am currently still using an overhead heat lamp, much as I have planned on rehousing my BP, this has not yet happened, so she stays in her 40 gallon long. If anyone has any links or can explain one way or another, I would greatly appreciate it!
    Typically BPS don’t need light at all. Just a CHE ceramic heat emitter on a dimmer or thermostat, light stresses them out, the nature light is all they need

Thanks

I will immediately look into it! Any idea on a size or wattage I should be looking for? Appreciate your response, thank you!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks

I will immediately look into it! Any idea on a size or wattage I should be looking for? Appreciate your response, thank you!

I have a 40 gallon as well and use a 150 watt, thinking about getting a 100 watt instead but if you get the Flukers 8.5 dome with a dimmer on amazon it helps control the temperature of the 150 watt one, it gets up to like 100 degrees but the dimmer helps keep it around 88-90!! Also make sure you have a digital thermometer, or an AcuRite to properly measure temps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    While I don't currently keep BPs, some of my other snakes enjoy heat lamps overhead, dimmed down so they can bask comfortably at night, & I see no difference, much
    less any negative effects, from using either a red or black bulb this way. Just remember that my 'lights' are dimmed, not the only heat source, & my snakes don't need
    as much heat as a BP does...& remember that heat rises (so this is an inefficient way of heating) & if you're running these lights near full-power to give more warmth to
    a BP, that amount of light might very well be a stressor to your snake...not so much because it's red, but for how many watts you're running.

The reason I don't use CHE's is that I've heard they tend to burn out fairly fast (& they cost a lot more than incandescent bulbs), especially when they are dimmed. Hopefully, if yours are connected to the right kind of thermostat, they'll be OK.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-29-2020 at 11:36 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sophia_carguillo View Post
    I have a 40 gallon as well and use a 150 watt, thinking about getting a 100 watt instead but if you get the Flukers 8.5 dome with a dimmer on amazon it helps control the temperature of the 150 watt one, it gets up to like 100 degrees but the dimmer helps keep it around 88-90!! Also make sure you have a digital thermometer, or an AcuRite to properly measure temps

I have her tank fairly dialed in, but the source of heat has been a constant thorn in my side, currently she has 4 hides, large water dish, two branches and a fair bit of foliage wrapped around or creating some clutter, and a large half log tube she traverses, and most importantly a hygrometer/thermometer at both ends of the tank! I have been wanting to upgrade her tank, I initially picked her up with 1 hide and 1 small water dish with this enclosure. Is there a dimmer you would suggest? If I can sort it out, I will pick up these supplies ASAP and it will give me a fair bit of peace of mind too, I really appreciate that advice on the size dome, and perhaps I will pick a bulb of each wattage, test what works best with my setup!

Thanks

I have her tank fairly dialed in, but the source of heat has been a constant thorn in my side, currently she has 4 hides, large water dish, two branches and a fair bit of foliage wrapped around or creating some clutter, and a large half log tube she traverses, and most importantly a hygrometer/thermometer at both ends of the tank! I have been wanting to upgrade her tank, I initially picked her up with 1 hide and 1 small water dish with this enclosure. Is there a dimmer you would suggest? If I can sort it out, I will pick up these supplies ASAP and it will give me a fair bit of peace of mind too, I really appreciate that advice on the size dome, and perhaps I will pick a bulb of each wattage, test what works best with my setup!
    That dome comes with a dimmer! That’s why I love it and it’s only like 12$ on Amazon(:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sophia_carguillo For This Useful Post:

e_nigma (04-29-2020)

Thanks

That dome comes with a dimmer! That’s why I love it and it’s only like 12$ on Amazon(:

Well, I will look into this immediately! Thank you.

Sidenote, original question still stands, ha! In the interim would blue or red be less bright, or seeming like daylight?

Thanks

Well, I will look into this immediately! Thank you.

Sidenote, original question still stands, ha! In the interim would blue or red be less bright, or seeming like daylight?

that is a good question, I’m not sure which would be better, I used to use red lights until I learned that no lights is better, I say the red

Thanks

that is a good question, I’m not sure which would be better, I used to use red lights until I learned that no lights is better, I say the red

Okay, but if they see farther into IR than they do into UV, wouldn't a blue lamp leaning farther towards UV be less visible than the IR red lamp, which is much more likely within their visible spectrum? I am not sure I entirely understand it, or maybe misread what their visibility spectrum was, granted I am also not an expert or a biologist haha! I have ordered a CHE and a variety of wattages in order to see what fits my setup best, I look forward to figuring out what works best!
    Last edited by e_nigma; 04-30-2020 at 12:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast