Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,491

5 members and 3,486 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Heat Lamp color question

I think that blue light would theoretically be better, but many many people use red bulbs and find that it works perfectly fine.

I started reading into it as well, and had just decided to use a night time bulb that minimizes the amount of light coming off of it, almost looks like it’s off during the day. I’m sure my bp can still see it, but I’m assuming it’ll be less harsh for her overall. I’ve yet to try a red heat bulb so I couldn’t tell you if there are significant differences/similarities, but a blacked out night time bulb is what I use.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Faith.luu For This Useful Post:

e_nigma (04-30-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I’ve been using infrared bulbs on dimmers for years. Not only do they zap less humidity and run cooler then CHE’s. Using a little higher wattage then necessary and adjusting with a dimmer switch results in the bulbs lasting incredibly longer. Just for reference two of my boys from 2014 are well over 1700 plus grams. I use no UTH either. My two boys from 2016 are 1300 and 1500 grams. As a bonus, they’re are all mousers. And all appear to be extremely healthy. Peace
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-30-2020),e_nigma (04-30-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faith.luu View Post
    I think that blue light would theoretically be better, but many many people use red bulbs and find that it works perfectly fine.

I started reading into it as well, and had just decided to use a night time bulb that minimizes the amount of light coming off of it, almost looks like it’s off during the day. I’m sure my bp can still see it, but I’m assuming it’ll be less harsh for her overall. I’ve yet to try a red heat bulb so I couldn’t tell you if there are significant differences/similarities, but a blacked out night time bulb is what I use.
    Thank you for the response, as a test, I swapped the blue light in, no immediate changes and she seems to have taken to it easily enough! Just fed her, she poked about fed perfectly and continued on. I will use the blue light for now, unless someone can prove otherwise! CHE on the way, but figured this was the right place to ask!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus - "Always faithful terrible lizard."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    I’ve been using infrared bulbs on dimmers for years. Not only do they zap less humidity and run cooler then CHE’s. Using a little higher wattage then necessary and adjusting with a dimmer switch results in the bulbs lasting incredibly longer. Just for reference two of my boys from 2014 are well over 1700 plus grams. I use no UTH either. My two boys from 2016 are 1300 and 1500 grams. As a bonus, they’re are all mousers. And all appear to be extremely healthy. Peace
    Sounds like you have their setups dialed in! I will try the blue light for a bit, have ordered a CHE, as I am now working from home, I will constantly monitor temps with the CHE, but I am also finding the blue light has not created any change in behavior, she fed today no issue, almost too easy, ha!

I appreciate the response!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus - "Always faithful terrible lizard."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to e_nigma For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (05-06-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12