Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,828

2 members and 2,826 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do I do?

Thanks

What do I do?

So I have a dwarf retic named Diablo, he’s almost 4 years old. The first year I got him I noticed he had a respiratory infection. It went away after we took him to the vet and it didn’t come back until a year later. When it came back I was confused. His setup was fine, but it literally just popped up out of nowhere. Since he had the 2nd one, we’ve taken him to 3 different vets and spent thousands of dollars to save this snake. I absolutely adore this snake and would do anything for him. We currently have another appointment this Wednesday. But the 3rd vet I went to said to not add humidity so I stopped and gave him a large water bowl he can completely submerge in. He said he was a reptile experts but I don’t know. The vet said there was no mucus in the mouth nor bubbles and that he looked completely healthy. But he still “coughs” (I know snakes can’t cough). He breathes with his mouth open and he wheezes. I’ve done almost everything to get this snake better, this is the last vet we’re going to before we go to a university and get a small camera put down his trachea to see what the problem is. He said he could be nidovirus, a tumor in his trachea, or something else. We’ve tried multiple antibiotics and it had no effect on him. We’re running out of options, it makes me feel so hopeless and guilty because I feel I could’ve prevented it. He’s the first pet I’ve ever owned full responsibility over and it just pains me that he has something not even vets can figure out. I just feel unworthy to keep him and to make my whole life around these animals. It just tears me to pieces.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    The first vet you took him to...was your snake given antibiotics? Was there LAB work done FIRST to make sure he was given the right antibiotic for the pathogens he had?
    IF NOT, it's possible that it took this long to for resistant 'germs' to return...that's why it's so important to have that often-expensive lab work done before an antibiotic is
    prescribed, & then it must ALL be given...otherwise, you can get resistant germs that come back to haunt you.

I know it's hard but try to check out the vet's expertise before you make appt'mts. Many vets will "see" reptiles but it's not really their expertise.
    This might help: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

A tracheal wash probably IS the right thing at this point though. Snakes can also get lung-worms, btw...I'd imagine with similar symptoms.

In any event, you are far from being an "unworthy owner"...you've been doing all you can, as far as I can tell. Sometimes we all just end up with sick snakes...it happens,
    so don't beat yourself up over it. Stay optimistic & let us know how it goes...we care & next time it might be any of us, you know? We all have things to learn here.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: What do I do?

Thank you, it’s just really hard. We went to only one vet with the equipment to do a blood test. But we’re taking him to a vet that another vet recommended. Hopefully they have a lung wash available there. But since I live an hour or two hours away from A&M when this COVID-19 stuff is over I’m willing to spend the 3000 dollars for the camera if this vet doesn’t help. Although my parents probably will not do that for my snake. But I wish I could just snap and make it all go away. He eats like a monster and he thermoregulates he drinks, he pees, he defecates, he does everything normally but I know he’s not normal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheReptileCyka For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-27-2020)

Thanks
    Hang in there...your heart's in the right place, & I hope things work out for your

Thanks

Thank you, I’ll try. I’ll give updates as things go on. Oh I forgot to mention, he’s a pusher, is there anything I could do to prevent him pushing on top of his cage?

Thanks
    Sometimes a larger cage will help, but oh, that's frustrating for sure...seeing your beautiful snake damaging his nose. I've had bull snakes that are pushy too. You could
    try misting water in his face when you catch him doing that...it won't hurt anything & will make him stop, but maybe only temporarily.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    I'm wondering if what you're seeing isn't just male retic behavior when they are in breeding mode. A few of my males make a kind of noise but it's not the constant wheezing you'd get with an RI, they're quiet and then will suddenly open their mouths and exhale very loudly. My SD male is particularly obnoxious about it. The sound is definitely not a hiss and was rather disconcerting the first few times I observed it.

I found that getting my males out for more exercise time helped stop the pushing.
    Last edited by bcr229; 04-27-2020 at 04:13 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (04-29-2020),Bogertophis (04-27-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I'm wondering if what you're seeing isn't just male retic behavior when they are in breeding mode. A few of my males make a kind of noise but it's not the constant wheezing you'd get with an RI, they're quiet and then will suddenly open their mouths and exhale very loudly. My SD male is particularly obnoxious about it. The sound is definitely not a hiss and was rather disconcerting the first few times I observed it.

I found that getting my males out for more exercise time helped stop the pushing.
    That and retics breath really loud, in general.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (04-29-2020),Bogertophis (04-27-2020),CloudtheBoa (04-29-2020)

Thanks
    Really glad to see ppl with retic experience chiming in here, as I have none. I was wondering if this might be "normal" retic stuff?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I agree with everything BCR has said here. Though every animal is an individual and will not necessarily act in accordance with what is the norm for the species. A couple years ago I spent thousands of dollars in vet bills and enormous enclosures for a persistent pusher of a retic and nothing could be done to curb the behavior. Sometimes a pusher is just a pusher and nothing can be done. The only thing that stopped it for any amount of time was giving the animal an entire bedroom to herself overnight. Pushing would resume as soon as she was back in the enclosure.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (04-29-2020),Bogertophis (04-27-2020),RickyNY (05-28-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast