Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,515

0 members and 1,515 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

What varnish to use?!

(I totally had a post written out but the page crashed or something idk)

I decided to make some hides for my boy, Guzma, but while I know what paint to use... What Varnish do I use?????
    My research suggested yacht varnish, and that's cool, so I went to Screw Fix and found this brand.

I thought I was landed until....

SPECIFICATION
    Brand No Nonsense
    Coating & Finishes Drying Time Dries in 16-24 Hours
    Colour Clear
    Coverage Per Litre 17 m²/Ltr
    Finish Gloss
    Hazardous Chemical Content Contains 2-butanone oxime.
    HazardStatements H226 - Flammable liquid and vapourH304 May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways.H312 Harmful in contact with skinH317 May cause an allergic skin reaction.H318 Causes serious eye damage.H336 May cause drowsiness or dizziness.H351 Suspected of causing cancer.H361fd (Fertility and Unborn child) Suspected of damaging fertility. Suspected of damaging the unborn child.
    Liquid Base Solvent-Based
    Manufacturer Guarantee 1 Year Guarantee
    Pack Size 1
    Parent Colour Clear
    Pieces in Pack/Case 1
    Precautionary Statements P102 Keep out of reach of children.P101 If medical advice is needed, have product container or label at hand.P280 Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection.P210 Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. No smoking.P303 + P361 + P353 IF ON SKIN (or hair): Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water/shower.P403 Store in a well-ventilated place.P235 Keep cool.P501 Dispose of contents/container to …
    Product Type Yacht Varnish
    SignalWord Warning
    Supplementary Labelling Information N/A
    Volume 750 ml

Now I'm honestly not sure what to do? Is this brand still okay to use for Guzma's new hides, or should I look elsewhere? I'm based in the UK if that's any help.
    Here's a pic of my boy, to finish up this thread.

Thanks

Re: What varnish to use?!

Hi there, if you want something non-toxic I would use a finish that is FDA approved as food safe (for like kitchen counters, cutting boards, wood bowls etc.). If you want something woodworker quality and don’t mind putting on several thin coats, those would be Arm R Seal Salad Bowl finish or Waterlox. Just make sure to let them fully cure before adding it to the tank as it’s not non-toxic until it fully cures. If you want something easier you can use Mineral Oil which is what most cutting boards are finished with (sometimes called butcher block oil). That would be a simple wipe on with a rag and your good to go.

I definitely would NOT use the stuff you were looking into. Also don’t use and cedar or pine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vegan.Hiker For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-28-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: What varnish to use?!

Hi,

I have used fully cured yaught varnish before now with no problems.

It was interesting to hear about " Arm R Seal Salad Bowl finish or Waterlox" as I have no experience of them.

I'd stay away from mineral oil hover as it has been known to cause snakes to shed the upper level of their scales when applied as part of a mite problem so has the potential to cuse issues on cage furniture.

del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-28-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    You want a product that says it's pet-safe, if possible, & should say "no VOC". VOC= volatile organic compounds...that's the nasty stuff that can off-gas & your animals
    will breathe in & be sick from...so none of that! They do make these options, but you might have to ask around to find it, & it might cost a bit more. Worth it though.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)