Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,962

4 members and 2,958 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Some corn snake questions.

Well I've worked it out, I will have to sacrifice some workspace, but I can squeeze in up to a 40gal tank or something with similar dimensions. So I probably will get a corn snake in the somewhat near future. I will have to make some minor modifications to Luna's old bin for security, the holes I have drilled for ventilation will need to be covered with screen but that's really all! It has six positive locks on the lid, so I'd be seriously impressed if anything managed to escape lol. After having a look around though, I've decided to wait a month or two until hatchling season so I will have more selection.

I think I want an okeetee, or maybe a ghost. A palmeto would be lovely but I dont really have the coin to drop on one. We'll see!

Thank you all for your help!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Southpaw91 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I love Okeetees, that's what I used to raise & what my 21 year old corn is. Something related that I've not had & really like...have you seen Abbott's? It's basically
    an Okeetee with much bolder black borders. But there's so many beautiful corns, good luck choosing just one, haha!

BTW, it will be quite some time before your corn snake grows into a 40 gal.* but do spend your time making sure there are no tiny (4-5 mm) gaps in cage tops. Even if a snake cannot successfully get thru a small gap, some get fatally injured just trying...snakes do their best to "seriously impress" us even when it hurts them. (*you might want to transition to a 20-30 gal. size first)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-25-2020 at 01:35 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I love Okeetees, that's what I used to raise & what my 21 year old corn is. Something related that I've not had & really like...have you seen Abbott's? It's basically
    an Okeetee with much bolder black borders. But there's so many beautiful corns, good luck choosing just one, hahahahaha!
    I have heard of Abbott's but I am still learning the differences between all the morphs. I just love the deeeeeep red I've seen on many okeetee babies and the lovely little markings they have that look like sunny side up eggs lol. Do they typically maintain the dark red into adulthood? Or does it wash out a little?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw91 View Post
    I have heard of Abbott's but I am still learning the differences between all the morphs. I just love the deeeeeep red I've seen on many okeetee babies and the lovely little markings they have that look like sunny side up eggs lol. Do they typically maintain the dark red into adulthood? Or does it wash out a little?

They pretty much maintain that color. They just don't start out that way though...they look pretty drab & ordinary as hatchlings, but at least red comes in much faster than yellow. And you can just google-search "Abbott's corn snake photos"...

Corn snakes are generally docile, but unless you're as thin-skinned as a toddler, you can't feel the teeth of a young corn snake even IF they try to bite you...it's more like being pecked by a sunflower seed (that's the size of their head). Long before you can feel their teeth, they'll outgrow defensiveness anyway. They make great pets...& as babies, I've had some that felt more (?) "secure" when fed by hand, literally while cuddled IN my hands. (I'm currently "hand-feeding" 2 of my Florida rat snakes that hatched out of unfertilized eggs last summer. The 3rd one is very defensive still, so she is drop-fed.)

But in any case, most corn or rat snakes feed quite well in their homes on f/t pinkies from tongs.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-25-2020 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks

Oh wow! They get so orange!!

Thanks

Oh wow! They get so orange!!

Of course, if it's really orange you want, take a look at Everglades rat snakes. But they do get bigger & are usually feistier than corn snakes...I'm just being a bad influence. Can't help it, I enjoy corn & most all "rat" snakes. They're so much more fun to feed than BPs...+ more active & curious...they watch US.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-25-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks

Idk, Luna is pretty fun to feed lol she has a very strong feeding response, and sometimes you gotta watch your face when you open her door hahaha. I am pretty excited about getting a corn though. When I first was looking into getting a snake it was a coin toss between a bp and a corn, but I just fell in love with bp's little ':3' faces lol. Now I'm like, well looks like it's both! haha

I would love a hognose too, but unfortunately in Colorado, you're not allowed to breed, buy, sell, or ship them because they are a native species. Which doesn't make any sense to me but okay...

Thanks

Idk, Luna is pretty fun to feed lol she has a very strong feeding response, and sometimes you gotta watch your face when you open her door hahaha. I am pretty excited about getting a corn though. When I first was looking into getting a snake it was a coin toss between a bp and a corn, but I just fell in love with bp's little ':3' faces lol. Now I'm like, well looks like it's both! haha

I would love a hognose too, but unfortunately in Colorado, you're not allowed to breed, buy, sell, or ship them because they are a native species. Which doesn't make any sense to me but okay...
    Oh I know...the variety of snakes is very addicting. I've been at this (keeping snakes, breeding some, rescuing some) for literally decades, & I've had many kinds of snakes- they ALL have their own special appeal, & for me at least, it's not always about having the most "screaming" colors...I enjoy their personalities mostly.

FYI, years back I got a pair of hatchling hognose snakes from a breeder in So. Calif.- but I didn't have good luck with them...for no apparent reasons, each one passed suddenly after they seemed OK for months. Neither one made it over a year. Had a house-full of snakes at the time, & no issues with any other, so I think it's something they "came with", & since then I've learned there ARE problems with their health, so maybe I was "ahead of time" on that? I didn't have necropsies done, sorta wish I had. Anyway, don't feel too left out on hoggies...

BTW, how old is Luna? (I ask because when I had BPs, they didn't get 'fussy' until they were adults...about 4 years old.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-25-2020 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks

Oh I know...the variety of snakes is very addicting. I've been at this (keeping snakes, breeding some, rescuing some) for literally decades, & I've had many kinds of snakes- they ALL have their own special appeal, & for me at least, it's not always about having the most "screaming" colors...I enjoy their personalities mostly.

FYI, years back I got a pair of hatchling hognose snakes from a breeder in So. Calif.- but I didn't have good luck with them...for no apparent reasons, each one passed suddenly after they seemed OK for months. Neither one made it over a year. Had a house-full of snakes at the time, & no issues with any other, so I think it's something they "came with", & since then I've learned there ARE problems with their health, so maybe I was "ahead of time" on that? I didn't have necropsies done, sorta wish I had. Anyway, don't feel too left out on hoggies...

BTW, how old is Luna? (I ask because when I had BPs, they didn't get 'fussy' until they were adults...about 4 years old.)
    Oh no! That's so sad. I'm sorry. Its always terrible losing an animal, especially if you weren't expecting it...

Luna is still young. About 9 months. I expect her to slow down in a few years but hopefully she remains a good eater for me. I'm hoping it's a good sign that neither of her parents ever refused any meals for her breeder, apart from breeding related fasts according to him. And he said all of his bamboos have been just really great about eating. so i'm hoping for the best, preparing for the worst. I'll still love her though, even if she does drive me crazy with fasting at some point lol. She's sweet as candy when handling and gives lots of boops when you hold her within reach of your face lol.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Southpaw91 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-25-2020)

Thanks

I hope you know that corn snakes do NOT require the same temps. as BPs? Much lower...assuming your house is not cold, just heat (UTH) one corner (w/ hide) to mid-
    80's MAX, rest of cage can be 70*-78*...they actually seem to prefer low to mid-70's most of the time. I currently keep 5 corns, oldest one is 21 years, & have bred quite
    a few in the past.
    Don't want to steer this thread off course... Quick question....

So my snake room stays warm up to 80*, The rest of the house stays 71* at the coolest to maybe mid 70's depending on outside weather

So If I move my Corn snake out into the main area he would be more comfortable out there with us?? It's easy enough to do, and there is room for him.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Southpaw91 (04-25-2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast