Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 509

0 members and 509 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Re: Some corn snake questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    Don't want to steer this thread off course... Quick question....

So my snake room stays warm up to 80*, The rest of the house stays 71* at the coolest to maybe mid 70's depending on outside weather

So If I move my Corn snake out into the main area he would be more comfortable out there with us?? It's easy enough to do, and there is room for him.
    It's honestly a toss-up: If your corn moves to the 71* area, he needs part (not more than 20% & possibly less) of his home heated to 85* by UTH (-preferably). If he stays where he is at "up to 80*" you can leave his heat OFF, except maybe offer it after meals & see if he uses it, or if this is an adult corn snake (that uses branches) you might try an overhead light (dimmed!) for a few hours of basking time per day, as needed for digestion. Either way, watch what he's doing: if he's too warm, he'll be in or around his water bowl much of the time...so take a hint about what's most comfortable for him by what he shows you. Of course, "up to 80*" might mean 77*, so he still might need a bit more heat to digest. Compared to my house in summer, it's not below 80* for at least a month or more...but I wouldn't expect that to be optimal for ALL year, does that make sense?

Corns are pretty flexible...my home is set to 70* (heat) in winter, & in the summer, my A/C is set to 80-82*...at that time most of my snakes' heat is OFF, for maybe a month or so. (with some exceptions- but certainly for my corn snakes) And btw, I've never had a corn snake with an R.I.

That's a good question & not off-topic at all. Living with snakes is just about making it work for you & yours. Between the 2 options, if your temperatures are
    as described all year, I'd move him out of the snake room, to where he has more temperature choices.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-25-2020 at 07:19 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bodie (04-25-2020),Southpaw91 (04-25-2020)

Thanks

Not off-topic at all! Definitely keep the questions coming! There's always things you dont think of when researching a new species to keep!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Southpaw91 For This Useful Post:

Bodie (04-25-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It's honestly a toss-up: If your corn moves to the 71* area, he needs part (not more than 20% & possibly less) of his home heated to 85* by UTH (-preferably). If he stays where he is at "up to 80*" you can leave his heat OFF, except maybe offer it after meals & see if he uses it, or if this is an adult corn snake (that uses branches) you might try an overhead light (dimmed!) for a few hours of basking time per day, as needed for digestion. Either way, watch what he's doing: if he's too warm, he'll be in or around his water bowl much of the time...so take a hint about what's most comfortable for him by what he shows you. Of course, "up to 80*" might mean 77*, so he still might need a bit more heat to digest. Compared to my house in summer, it's not below 80* for at least a month or more...but I wouldn't expect that to be optimal for ALL year, does that make sense?

Corns are pretty flexible...my home is set to 70* (heat) in winter, & in the summer, my A/C is set to 80-82*...at that time most of my snakes' heat is OFF, for maybe a month or so. (with some exceptions- but certainly for my corn snakes) And btw, I've never had a corn snake with an R.I.

That's a good question & not off-topic at all. Living with snakes is just about making it work for you & yours. Between the 2 options, if your temperatures are
    as described all year, I'd move him out of the snake room, to where he has more temperature choices.
    Adult corn in a 36x18x18 Exo-Terra front opening for now. (still working on AP cages with radiant panels for all snakes)

The house ambient temp is 71* winter / 78* Summer , he has a UTH (an ultra therm controlled by a herpstat).

So looks like he would be comfortable out in the main room year round with out issues

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    Adult corn in a 36x18x18 Exo-Terra front opening for now. (still working on AP cages with radiant panels for all snakes)

The house ambient temp is 71* winter / 78* Summer , he has a UTH (an ultra therm controlled by a herpstat).

So looks like he would be comfortable out in the main room year round with out issues
    That's my take on it too. Snakes evolved making temperature choices, so keeping them at one temp. that's on the warm side "long-term" is probably not the best for their health- IMO. Most of the time I see my corn snakes preferring to use no heat, just the cooler room temps that are ambient temps in their homes too. In fact I've read it's no problem even if the temps drop to mid-upper 60's overnight, but mine never do anyway...I just know some ppl like to lower the heat @ night, & as long as your corn snakes have a heat option (warm hide), I wouldn't expect them to refuse food or become ill. They're wonderfully-adaptable pets.

One thing: if your corn snake is young, it's best to use UTH, as they need to hide...but as they become adults, if you want to use any type of over-head heat instead, they'll have to adapt (be bold enough) to use that (assuming the enclosure is tall enough for them to have branches?), & what you could do is attach
    a woven basket (or similar thing for them to use as a hide) to the branches so it's closer to the warmth (which rises & doesn't effectively reach the cage floor
    so well). Many of my rat snakes appear to LOVE sleeping in their baskets, & they have a choice between that or a hide over a UTH. It's just something I've
    noticed...they enjoy "tree houses" and it's really cute to watch.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-26-2020 at 03:29 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Gocntry (04-28-2020),Southpaw91 (04-26-2020)

Thanks

This thread is giving me so many ideas!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Southpaw91 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-26-2020)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123