Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,897

3 members and 2,894 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Some corn snake questions.

So, as some of you might know, I have recently graduated my ball python to her adult enclosure, leaving her baby bin and complete setup vacant. I have been wanting a corn snake for a while, and I had a few questions.

So the bin I have is 41qt volume, it is 18"x24" floor space, but only 8" high. I know this is not ideal, but would it be okay for a baby/juvenile corn for a while? If so, I already have heating elements, t-stats, water bowl, substrate, I would just need to pick up a couple hides.

Also, if any of you have any care sheets you like, can you link them? I am just at the beginning stages of research and of course there's always conflicting info out there, but i trust y'all, so just looking for a good jumping off point.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Yes, it's fine for a while, & hatchling corn snakes are so tiny, you're better off making your own hides...small clean cardboard boxes (cut a doorway), cardboard rolls from
    paper towels, many things work. If cardboard, throw away & replace when soiled...easy!

I hope you know that corn snakes do NOT require the same temps. as BPs? Much lower...assuming your house is not cold, just heat (UTH) one corner (w/ hide) to mid-
    80's MAX, rest of cage can be 70*-78*...they actually seem to prefer low to mid-70's most of the time. I currently keep 5 corns, oldest one is 21 years, & have bred quite
    a few in the past.

You'll need pinkie mice, assuming you get a hatchling, & they'll be eating that size for quite a while. Corn snakes change color quite a bit from when they hatch, so go by
    the breeder's pics of parents. (the snake's parents, not the breeder, lol)

Corn snakes are tiny, so that means they can escape thru tiny gaps and since they like to climb, make SURE your enclosure is SECURE. You do NOT want to
    play hide & seek with a tiny corn snake, it won't likely end well.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-24-2020 at 01:55 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (04-25-2020),Craiga 01453 (04-24-2020),Southpaw91 (04-24-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Some corn snake questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw91 View Post
    So, as some of you might know, I have recently graduated my ball python to her adult enclosure, leaving her baby bin and complete setup vacant. I have been wanting a corn snake for a while, and I had a few questions.

So the bin I have is 41qt volume, it is 18"x24" floor space, but only 8" high. I know this is not ideal, but would it be okay for a baby/juvenile corn for a while? If so, I already have heating elements, t-stats, water bowl, substrate, I would just need to pick up a couple hides.

Also, if any of you have any care sheets you like, can you link them? I am just at the beginning stages of research and of course there's always conflicting info out there, but i trust y'all, so just looking for a good jumping off point.
    I see no reason that enclosure wouldn't work for a corn. I'm a King guy, myself, but have kept corns and husbandry is very similar.

In my experience juveniles spend more time hidden and burrowing than climbing. So in my opinion that enclosure will be good.

I've been out of the corn game a while though, so I'll let others help you out with husbandry and such.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-25-2020),Caitlin (04-25-2020),Southpaw91 (04-24-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Corn snakes change color quite a bit from when they hatch, so go by
    the breeder's pics of parents. (the snake's parents, not the breeder, lol)
    Thanks for clearing that up

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2020),Southpaw91 (04-24-2020)

Thanks

Thank you! yeah most of the research I have done so far shows 86 max for hot spot. I have uth already set up on this bin and a thermostat so no problems there. My apartment is cold in the winter months but this time of year the low is about 70*.

I still haven't decided if i'll take the plunge yet, as I am limited on space. It just pains me to have an empty enclosure! lol

Thanks
    I feel your pain... (and a low of 70* is just fine)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Southpaw91 (04-24-2020)

Thanks

One more question, I know every snake is different, but on average, i am finding corn snakes take about 2 years to reach adult size. So i'm guessing if i set up a hatchling in there, they would be good for probably about a year before I would need to start preparing to upgrade to adult enclosure? Or do you think sooner? Just trying to work out logistics.

Thanks
    They start putting on more size (length) once they graduate from pinkies...I'd guess maybe 1.5 years in current set-up, though personally I prefer taller (glass tanks) for
    good air-flow & room for them to climb...they're not terrestrial snakes & much more fun to watch when you furnish branches.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-24-2020),Southpaw91 (04-24-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    They start putting on more size (length) once they graduate from pinkies...I'd guess maybe 1.5 years in current set-up, though personally I prefer taller (glass tanks) for
    good air-flow & room for them to climb...they're not terrestrial snakes & much more fun to watch when you furnish branches.
    Thank you so much for all your help! Alright so we'll say 1-1.5 years worst case scenario but sooner the better lol. At what size do you usually upgrade your young'ns?

I'm going to go home and take some measurements and see what furniture I can move around haha. I want to make sure i have room for a 40gal breeder or something similar. then maybe i'll be off to morphmarket (only to look for now, I won't buy anything until i'm sure i'm ready)

This is definitely not the place to go if you want to get talked out of buying a reptile lol. At this point, getting a corn seems too reasonable to NOT do lol
    Last edited by Southpaw91; 04-24-2020 at 03:12 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Southpaw91 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw91 View Post
    Thank you! yeah most of the research I have done so far shows 86 max for hot spot. I have uth already set up on this bin and a thermostat so no problems there. My apartment is cold in the winter months but this time of year the low is about 70*.

I still haven't decided if i'll take the plunge yet, as I am limited on space. It just pains me to have an empty enclosure! lol
    My two cents. I love corns. I have 2. Despite having 3 boas, a Carpet Python, and a ball python, I still love my corns. They come in every color imaginable and pattern too. They are docile and active and great eaters. They do start out very small, but grow fast.

More than 86F and my corns get antsy and uncomfortable.

Because of the cages (Boaphiles) I use and how well insulated they are I range from a 84-85F hot spot down to a 75-77F cool side.

Having said that, a corn will do fine with an 84F hot spot (they need over 82F to digest properly and quickly) and a cool side that's room temp. As long as they can get their body on the hot spot completely.

That bin will be fine even for a younger corn as long as you give enough hides.

If you are looking for a corn I highly recommend Don Soderberg at South Mountain Reptiles. I bought Solana, my scaleless corn from him. Great guy and great animals. I think his website is cornsnake.net, and he picks up the phone if you call and want to talk shop.

Good luck and let us know what you decide or if you have more questions.
    Last edited by dakski; 04-24-2020 at 03:13 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-25-2020),Craiga 01453 (04-24-2020),Southpaw91 (04-24-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast