Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,163

2 members and 2,161 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Temp/Beahvior

Thanks

Temp/Beahvior

Hi, just received my first ball python!! Before I ask my questions, here’s my setup:

A 20 Gallon long glass tank with screen lid. Roughly half the lid is covered by a towel to maintain humidity. I have a UTH on the warm side connected to a thermostat in addition to a 60 watt CHE. Two hides, one on each side, and two thermometers, one on each side about 2 inches above substrate. With this, I was able to reach daytime ambient temperatures of 85-87 on the warm side and about 78-81 on the cool side.

However, waking up this morning I found my temps significantly lower... my cool side was running around 73 while the hot side was hovering around 81. I know there is a heat mat which my snake can utilize but I feel as if these ambient temps are not suitable. Any suggestions on what I could do to maintain constant ambient heat 24/7?

also had a question regarding his behavior. I’ve had him roughly 48 hours and have yet to see him come out of the cool side hide. I’m sure shipping stressed him out quite a bit and yes I know they are solitary and nocturnal animals and that hiding is healthy. Yet I have yet to see him in temps greater than 82 degrees. Is there a point I should start worrying?

Thanks

Re: Temp/Beahvior

Quote Originally Posted by edessimoz View Post
    However, waking up this morning I found my temps significantly lower... my cool side was running around 73 while the hot side was hovering around 81. I know there is a heat mat which my snake can utilize but I feel as if these ambient temps are not suitable. Any suggestions on what I could do to maintain constant ambient heat 24/7?

also had a question regarding his behavior. I’ve had him roughly 48 hours and have yet to see him come out of the cool side hide. I’m sure shipping stressed him out quite a bit and yes I know they are solitary and nocturnal animals and that hiding is healthy. Yet I have yet to see him in temps greater than 82 degrees. Is there a point I should start worrying?
    You can use a night time bulb to keep the ambient temperatures up during the night. Usually a 40-60 watt is sufficient depending on where you live. If you find it’s too hot then you could invest in a dimmer to attach to your lamp, and higher wattage if you need to increase. Never allow temperatures to dip below 75.

The reason why he might be staying under his cold side hide is because it might feel more secure than the one on the warm side. What are you using as your hides for each? You also want to have sufficient amount of foliage and cover(unless kept in a rack, but I’m assuming you’re not). It’ll make the enclosure feel smaller and safer. For your hides, try to make the hides identical, or make it appear that the warm side is safer and more hidden by making the entrance smaller or adding plants and leaves around it.

Remember that it’s only been 48 hours and your snake will need at least 1 week to adjust(some will need less, or more)

Also make sure that the enclosure is the proper size. A good rule of thumb is that your snakes length should be between one length of the enclosure(longest side), to the sum of the length and width.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I don't use CHEs but I think 60 watts may be too low for a 20-gallon tank - I believe 100 watt is what you'll need to maintain ambient temperatures. Hopefully someone who uses CHEs can chime in here.

Just a quick note to add that the towel on top for retaining humidity is a potential fire hazard. Instead, you can tape the lid other than the area under the CHE with aluminum tape/HVAC tape.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'