Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,685

0 members and 2,685 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Advice needed about feeding

I have 2 issues with a pair of axanthics I just purchased last Thursday. Issue #1 with my male, he has shown signs of aggression since purchased. I was told it was cause it was feed day and he wasn't fed yet. My issue is the fact that he shows signs of being hungry, I've offered him 3 adult mice in total and he has taken all 3. Should I be concerned or could he have just been underfed? Issue 2 is with my female, unlike the male my female hasn't eaten yet for me and I've offered a few times each time changing something but she won't take any? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Advice needed about feeding

Info needed: why mice? You're gonna wanna switch over to rats for sure, more fatty and filling at that size! Also, are you sure the girl was eating mice when you got her? If she was on rats/something else she might just be picky, but I wouldn't worry about it too much, she might also be settling.

What's your setup like? Also, snake pics? How do your snakes' sides look, how much do they weigh? Mice might be too small, too. Sorry for all the questions, just wanna cover all the bases!

Don't worry about aggression. Some snakes take a while to tame down and that's probably not on you, give it some time and he'll probably chill out. Also, if you didn't buy from a breeder and picked up your snakes rehomed/from a pet store they might have not told the truth about how nippy or feisty they are. I've seen plenty of people try to unload temperamental snakes with little fibs, lol. Don't get scared off if it's just his attitude... I've never met a ball python that doesn't end up super sweet given time.
    0.1 mystery, pos normal YB? (Juniper Snubbery)
    1.0 lesser het red axanthic g stripe (Fig Newton)
    0.1 yb spinner blast (Honey Udon)

Hopeful future blood python enthusiast. Show me your bloods!

Thanks
    My male weighs 218g and female weighs and my female weighs around 680g I fed the male 2 adult mice like I was told his feeding schedule was. But he was showing signs of still being hungry a couple days later so I offered another one and he took it. Like I said I just got them like a week ago. I plan on a rat this week for him. Enclosures are 2 40 gal. Terrarium with hides water heat pads controlled by jump-starts. And also my pastel came out of shed last week and hasn't taken a meal yet and it's been like 2 weeks. Is this normal behavior?

Thanks

Don't be fooled by those puppy faces, he doesn't need it! If my babies had their way they'd be fed daily... everything sounds good to me, especially if your pastel is on the larger end. Generally if I hear about a 500 gram + healthy looking BP going off feed for a few weeks... it's nothing to be too worried about. The female you got probably just hasn't settled yet, as long as she feels nice and plump and seems alert there's no reason to panic. Keep offering, but probably move to like a week or ten days between attempts to let her get hungry/to not waste food.

There's some good images floating around showing what to look for and when to worry. If your pastel is an adult (going to say 1000+ grams just to be safe) you really have no reason to worry. You can try live if you want, or feeding in a smaller enclosure but right now it sounds like there's no need to... ball pythons are little weirdos who might just decide they're not hungry for no real reason.

If the small female isn't eating in 2-3 weeks, try feeding her in a tub or something small. Even a shoebox would probably work in a pinch. Sometimes they can get kind of overwhelmed by the enclosure size and not take.

(From Reptifiles)

(Not actually totally sure of the source on this one)

0.1 mystery, pos normal YB? (Juniper Snubbery)
    1.0 lesser het red axanthic g stripe (Fig Newton)
    0.1 yb spinner blast (Honey Udon)

Hopeful future blood python enthusiast. Show me your bloods!

Thanks
    My female is the 500+g bp. My pastel is only 162g that's why i was worried bout him not taking a meal. And my female shows interest in feed but doesn't take. The male Axanthic coils in a strike position... All my bps are tub fed
    Last edited by Pg0615; 04-24-2020 at 06:32 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pg0615 View Post
    I have 2 issues with a pair of axanthics I just purchased last Thursday. Issue #1 with my male, he has shown signs of aggression since purchased. I was told it was cause it was feed day and he wasn't fed yet. My issue is the fact that he shows signs of being hungry, I've offered him 3 adult mice in total and he has taken all 3. Should I be concerned or could he have just been underfed? Issue 2 is with my female, unlike the male my female hasn't eaten yet for me and I've offered a few times each time changing something but she won't take any? Any help would be appreciated.
    Hi,

I've highlighted the parts of your post that stood out.

Give them time to settle in and don't offer food so aften - once every 5-7 days is fine.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.