Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,886

0 members and 2,886 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Registered User noodle.obsessed's Avatar
    Thanks

Can You Make a Big Vivarium Still be Okay For Juvenile Snakes?

I've been seeing a lot of posts where someone's young snake is stressed and they are told that it is because the enclosure is too big.
    Now I worry that the vivarium I want for my BP is going too be too big. i'm planning on getting a female BP and want to get her when she is young but definitely no less than 100g and my vivarium is a bit bigger than 60 US gallons, and around 3 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet - however, I am going to have lots of hides (4 caves and 2 tubes) and also 5 plants including a climbing fig (to add cover for the snake) and at least 2 grapevines or other branches. Also the vivarium will have 1 side glass and the rest will be a black wood, hopefully tricking the snake into thinking it is in a smaller space!
    Personally I don't understand needing a small vivarium as they live in a massive world in the wild, so I wonder if all my hides and clutter will mean that I can keep my snake in a big vivarium without giving it any stress or problems?

Thanks
    It's not recommended, but possible. Can the snake creep from one side of the vivarium to another without being seen? If not, add more clutter.
    vivi

Registered User noodle.obsessed's Avatar
    Thanks
    i haven't got the vivarium yet but - call me sad - I've made a blueprint/sketch and I could barely fit everything in with space still for the snake until removed a couple of things so I don't think I'd be able to see the snake and if i could I would just add more branches or rocks, would that make it okay?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Please remember that not all snakes (especially BPs!) react the same way. They tend to prefer tight spaces & while you could DO that in a large vivarium, remember that
    the more you put in it, the harder it's going to be to clean effectively also. Most ppl "spot clean" routinely (just pick up feces) & then periodically do a thorough cleaning,
    but with a very cluttered home, you might not SEE all that your snake leaves, AND it may be smeared (ugh, I know) in many more places that you realize, setting you &
    your snake up for health problems living in a dirtier cage. The best snake homes are usually a compromise between the needs of the snake and what can realistically be
    maintained in a healthy manner.

I'm glad you're planning things out on paper, because constantly changing the actual living space can make a snake (such as a BP) very insecure (& go off-feed). I really
    wish everyone would do a lot of research before buying their pets & have the enclosure set up and running for at least a week BEFORE it's occupied, so you can be sure
    that changes don't have to be made once the snake moves in. And that brings up another problem for keeping a BP in a large vivarium: the bigger it is, the harder it is to
    keep it warm enough. I can't emphasize that enough. Many ppl seem to forget that their house is kept cooler in the winter, or at night, & just how cold the summer A/C
    can make it too, for a snake that needs it warm to be feeding. So give that a lot of thought & plan to insulate the vivarium as needed...and really test the temperatures
    in all areas of your large vivarium to see if it's really suitable for the BP you'll be keeping. You might need multiple heating sources & thermostats: large can get expensive.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-20-2020)