Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,130

2 members and 3,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

How do I start a business?

Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum. Me and my boyfriend would love to start breeding snakes and geckos (balls, hoggies, and cresties for now)
    I would like to know if anyone knows the steps needed to take to start a business, like licenses (where to get them), if there is any profit in having this kind of hobby, is it legal to breed snakes if you purchase a home, or is it illegal to essentially breed your business? I have mentioned starting a breeding business and reptile shops around me have already offered to buy from us when we do end up breeding.
    I just want to make sure I do everything right because it’s something I would love to do as my primary source of income.

So far we have established what we want out business to be called and I started a logo. We do have snakes and cresties that we could start breeding, so please let me know what steps to take from there 😊
    Reptonics
    J&B 19,19 FL, Orlando

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Hello & Hard to advise you since business licenses will probably be variable, depending on what state you're in. You need to check all local regulations as far as running a business, & from your home...city, county, state & federal might each have different things to say about it, so check with each. Best if you own your own home, as landlords typically take a dim view of keeping so many animals on their property, but as a home-owner, it's up to you unless otherwise prohibited.

It's honestly a tough way to make a living "full-time"...you'll want to keep good records of all expenses as well as income for tax purposes, & unless you're very knowledgeable about taxes, you should talk to someone about that before you dive in, for best results. Find out what you can & cannot deduct, etc. I don't mean to discourage you but money is tight for a lot of people because of all the layoffs from the pandemic, which is not going away real quick...honestly I don't think it's a good time to start a business but you seem to have had good interest from local shops so far, & you never know? I wish you well. I've bred some snakes in the past but never with a commercial motive...there are others on this site though that do breed to sell so hopefully they'll give you their opinions too. Personally I see it as more of a "passionate sideline", but that's just me. Animals are fun, but at some point, lots of animals are LOTS of work, lol.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-18-2020 at 11:24 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (12-04-2023),Reptile$ 4 Life (04-18-2020),Reptonics (04-18-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First step you need a Class III Wildlife permit https://myfwc.com/license/captive-wildlife/

After that it's just like any regular business as far as registration. Trademark etc

https://dos.myflorida.com/library-ar...ss-in-florida/
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-19-2020),Godzilla78 (04-23-2020),Reptonics (04-19-2020)

Thanks

Re: How do I start a business?

Embarking on a business like breeding snakes and geckos is quite the unique journey! I had a similar experience when I started a small business in a niche hobby of mine. The first thing I tackled was understanding all the legalities, like getting the right licenses and making sure everything was compliant with local laws. It's a bit daunting at first, but it's crucial for a smooth operation.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingofspades For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-30-2023)

Registered User GVZ-Ball Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Starting a business, especially one as niche as breeding snakes and geckos, is definitely an adventure! I've not ventured into this particular field, but I did start a small business a while back. The first step is usually to understand the legalities, like getting the right licenses.

It's important to check with your local and state regulations about breeding and selling animals. Sometimes there are specific rules, especially for exotic pets. Profit-wise, niche markets can be really promising if you find the right audience.

Social media and online marketing can be incredibly helpful for a business like yours. I've used tools like AdSpy software in my ventures to get insights into what strategies work best in digital marketing. It helps to understand your competitors and market trends.
    Last edited by GVZ-Ball Pythons; 12-04-2023 at 03:08 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GVZ-Ball Pythons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-04-2023)