Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,009

2 members and 2,007 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Possible Burn

Thanks

Possible Burn

Ive had a male banana ball python for 2 years now and haven't had any problems until now. He was going through a particularly rough shed and burrowed deeper in the substrate than he normally does (cocoblox substrate) and ended up close to where the heating pad was placed (I had ordered a thermostat recently but, it hasn't come yet). He just ate 4 days ago and his attitude/energy hasn't changed at all but, his belly is a little pink which worries me. I soaked him in water with betadine but, I was curious if theres anything else I can do to help his recovery. I changed all the substrate to paper towels for the time being. Here are some pics of whats happening

https://imgur.com/a/uP0sEbF
    Last edited by Soccerplayer; 04-18-2020 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    Ouch, yes that appears to be a burn. Snakes suffer in silence & it's hard to know how serious this may be...Silvadene cream for healing, and sometimes antibiotics
    are generally prescribed by vets to deal with secondary infections (some skin may be sloughing off). I'd recommend a vet visit! If he hadn't shed recently, a slightly
    pink underside can sometimes mean a shed is coming soon, but sadly yours looks like a burn...too bad you didn't set up his home with a thermostat in the first place-
    BPs need such high temps (about 90* max) that it's very easy for uncontrolled heating devices to exceed that & cause harm. I'd continue with the paper towels for
    now, turn down the heat and REGULATE it- you might be able to use a rheostat (lamp dimmer- available in all hardware stores) until your t-stat arrives...it's important
    that he not get further injury. And now you know why we say you need to measure the temperature under the substrate, where the snake can contact the hottest
    part...because sooner or later, your snake will push his way under there. The deeper the substrate, the more in insulates the UTH & can cause over-heating, which
    besides burning your snake, can also cause a short in wiring & a house FIRE...so for your safety, FIX this NOW. His pink belly "worries you" but it HURTS HIM. And it could even burn your house or apt. down.

You'll want to find a vet that specializes in exotics & has snake experience:
    https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-18-2020 at 09:03 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dr del (04-19-2020),vivi (04-19-2020)

Thanks
    Yes, that looks like a burn. Not the worst one i've ever seen but needs immediate attention. I don't know why thermostats are so overlooked, they keep your snake safe and a gives you peace of mind. How long until the thermostat is expected to arrive?
    vivi

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Famous last words....
    Unplug the heat pad until you can properly regulate it!!
    Substrate IS NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR A THERMOSTAT!!

I really wish people would research first.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-20-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That is what everyone with a snake that has a burn says
    Ive had a male banana ball python for 2 years now and haven't had any problems until now
    Sadly it was 100% preventable with proper research and equipment.

So unplug your heat pad, change your substrate to paper towel and wait and see how bad it gets over the next 24 to 48 hours, burns can change quickly depending on the severity.

Than depending on the extent you are looking at either a mild burn or one that requires a vet visit during which you will be prescribed silver silvadene and possibly antibiotics.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-20-2020)