Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,137

0 members and 3,137 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Racks and room temps

Hopefully I’ll get my answer here since no one else anywhere else wants to answer this question for me. Looking into investing in some racks. Cb70 racks to be exact. I have a small snake room, heated, but by my furnace so it’s not always super warm. Winter time when the furnace runs more it stays 75-78 in there. This time of year where the weather is all over the place, on warmer days I’ve seen the room fall to 71. My question is, what’s the minimum temp for a rack for it to work out?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depends on the type of rack and temps anything below 75 you definitely want to look into enclosed racks vs open and even than you might have to consider having a oil filled heater plugged into an reliable external thermostat.

I have enclosed racks in cooler months I run a oil filled heater set on 75 so the ambient temp on the cool side is 75/76
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Racks and room temps

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Depends on the type of rack and temps anything below 75 you definitely want to look into enclosed racks vs open and even than you might have to consider having a oil filled heater plugged into an reliable external thermostat.

I have enclosed racks in cooler months I run a oil filled heater set on 75 so the ambient temp on the cool side is 75/76
    enclosed would be the route I would go for sure. So basically I was right in my thinking that the heat tape isn’t going to effect the ambients inside the rack much, if at all?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
    enclosed would be the route I would go for sure. So basically I was right in my thinking that the heat tape isn’t going to effect the ambients inside the rack much, if at all?
    You were right usually when your ambient temp is that low a little boost and have to room heated will be required.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    You were right usually when your ambient temp is that low a little boost and have to room heated will be required.
    well that’s a bummer. Just built the room last fall. It’s stayed 75-78 all winter with the vent closed. Warmer weather and furnace running less, room dropped to around 73, low of 71 a couple times. It’s not usually that low but I don’t want to risk anything. Back to the drawing board I guess haha. Thank you for your help.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Bring the room temp up with an oil filled heater. They are cheap an have a built in thermostat. I run one in the rat room.

Thanks

I was recently all excited to order a six large tub ARS rack which is no small investment but at the last minute realized my 70 degree hoyse Temps wouldn't work well for this particular rack. I still want to get it but that will mean setting up a spare bedroom as a snake room and run an oil filled heater.

I currently have 6 4ft ap cages but with the loose bedding always falling out I was really excited to get the huge rack.

Any ideas or thoughts
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Bring the room temp up with an oil filled heater. They are cheap an have a built in thermostat. I run one in the rat room.
    Meh. I’m trying to avoid space heaters. The sad part is the room is warm enough 99% of the time. But like today, with it in the high 50s in Michigan, my furnace barely ran. Snake room sat at 72 all day.