Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,876

1 members and 2,875 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Upgrading my boa cage, help me choose!

So I’m still working, I’m “essential” and also still getting one of them stimulus checks, I know it’s a pandemic, but I need to provide my larger ball python a larger enclosure then the 20l she’s in.

So here’s where I’m at. I have one ball (low grade pastel I believe) in a 20L from a rub, so he’s set. My biggest ball python (female coral glow blast, 1245g or so) has in my opinion outgrown her 20l, and I’m a fan of “display cages” so for me it’s too cramped. My BCI is happily living life in an exoterra 40b front opening cage, and I love it, no complaints. I can either get another of those, and build a stand to have the two stacked (snakes were quarantined when new and now housed in same room). I like the exoterra, except for the doors, they seem fragile but it’s not bad imo.
    The other cage I’m looking at is getting an animal plastics t8, with basking shelf, glass doors
    And the lock. That would be sufficient for the bci for Likely the rest of his life, correct? I will be flexwat tape for heat, and want the basking shelf simply
    So can climb if he feels like it. Will also get the led lights, although with fluorescent I could go UVB, not needed but wouldn’t hurt and possibly have some benefits, my balls have them and I catch them basking in the no heat uvb day after a meal some times.
    My questions, with the ap cage, is the fluorescent in a cage, is it ok not in a cage if not? Is the cage thin enough that heat tape just underneath is fine? Should I get the next size up that’s 15”tall?
    Can you recommend a better cage for the price range, as a final setup for my bci? I will move the ball into the 40b for now, and if I really love the ap I will get 5 and stack all my reptiles up over time.
    Thanks for reading this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit* idk why the pictures loaded in the text so my bad. Those are the 2 noodles I’m trying to cage up.
    Last edited by Solidsnek; 04-17-2020 at 04:49 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Solidsnek For This Useful Post:

Bodie (04-22-2020),Bogertophis (04-17-2020),richardhind1972 (04-17-2020)

Thanks

Re: Upgrading my boa cage, help me choose!

So I’m seeing a post here saying that animal plastic cages have a huge freaking wait time, and I’d ideally like to get something in the next few months. For pvc caging, what’s the next option? I guess boaphile seems pretty nice, any other leads?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    I'm not up on these type cages to best advise, but in your position, I'd go for a lifetime-size cage for the BCI at this point, & move your BP up to the BCI's former home (40b).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alien (04-18-2020),Gio (04-19-2020),GoingPostal (04-18-2020)

Thanks

Boa is still pretty small, and I’d like the t8 for ball pythons and idk what yet for the boa as a final t12 I guess. But I also don’t like the super long waiting period

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Solidsnek View Post
    Boa is still pretty small, and I’d like the t8 for ball pythons and idk what yet for the boa as a final t12 I guess. But I also don’t like the super long waiting period

To expand, the boa is just barely longer than the t8 is, my smaller bp is still in a 20l size for now (under 800g) and the larger ball (1200 or so) could take the old 40b for now. Financially I can’t get 2 t8 and a t12 or larger at once, so getting the t8 night
    Be the best for my snakes as far as short term goals . It’s on the quicker ship, I might kick it up this week tbh. Get the added shelf, glass sliders and run my flexiwatt under it.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Boas tend to do fine in bigger tanks even if they are smaller, provided they have enough hides, etc. I moved my 1 year and 3 month old male BI into a 6X2' and he's doing great and growing and gobbling down food, and is still a totally chill animal.

I have all Boaphile tanks and love them. I cannot comment on current lead times, but if you call Jeff Ronne, I am sure he can give you an accurate window.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...t=reptile+area

I have nothing negative to say about AP's, but the lead time turned me off. I also liked how Jeff uses the tanks himself and was able to configure each tank to each individual reptiles needs.
    Last edited by dakski; 04-17-2020 at 09:12 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-17-2020),Solidsnek (04-17-2020)

Thanks

Upgrading my boa cage, help me choose!

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Boas tend to do fine in bigger tanks even if they are smaller, provided they have enough hides, etc. I moved my 1 year and 3 month old male BI into a 6X2' and he's doing great and growing and gobbling down food, and is still a totally chill animal.

I have all Boaphile tanks and love them. I cannot comment on current lead times, but if you call Jeff Ronne, I am sure he can give you an accurate window.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...t=reptile+area

I have nothing negative to say about AP's, but the lead time turned me off. I also liked how Jeff uses the tanks himself and was able to configure each tank to each individual reptiles needs.
    I’ll take a closer look at their website thanks! I guess I’ll just scrap the t8 for now and get something 6ft. Space not really an issue, but preferably I’ll be sticking to setups shipped flat, as the room is hard to get into. Would you see a point in the basking shelf if I use uth only? I figure they adds something to climb on but idk how much he would use it. My first boa and he’s a goofball but not as active as I imagined
    Thanks for the response! Also nice setup! Super jealous lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal
    Last edited by Solidsnek; 04-17-2020 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks

So the boaphiles are nice,
    And I also found boamaster.com which is actually fairly close to me, similar pricing. Going to have to watch some YouTube videos but seems a 6ft cage is what I want

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Solidsnek View Post
    So the boaphiles are nice,
    And I also found boamaster.com which is actually fairly close to me, similar pricing. Going to have to watch some YouTube videos but seems a 6ft cage is what I want
    I don't recommend boamaster. https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...Before-I-Order
    Last edited by wnateg; 04-17-2020 at 11:28 PM.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (04-18-2020),Solidsnek (04-18-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    Dang, can’t catch a break lol.
    So realistically I don’t have the tools or skills to diy a pvc. The t8 ap are quick ship they said about 30 days to ship, but it would only house the boa for about 8mo to a year or so, but the t8 would free the 40b for my larger bp.
    The other options seems to be boaphile cages, which seem similarly expensive, or building a wooden one, which I’m not super jazzed about. Looks like I might get the t8 now because the 40b is
    An exoterrra front opening, so the t8 would still be a nice size up for him footprint wise.

I didn’t realize getting into the boa that these cages had such backlog on ordering lol. Might need to look at wood diy regardless

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast