Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,152

1 members and 1,151 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stressed BP???

Thanks

Re: Stressed BP???

Quote Originally Posted by kitt3n View Post
    i have plexiglass covering part of the screen top to help. if i get a thermostat, what would be the best brand/kind to use?
    Jumpstart if you´re on a budget. However Herpstat is the best of the best.

I noticed you said ¨if¨. A thermostat is essential.
    Last edited by vivi; 04-17-2020 at 06:09 PM.
    vivi

Thanks

i didnt mean it as i may or may not get one i was thinking about honestly getting one, sorry.

Thanks
    Oh, I get ya.
    vivi

Thanks

I have BNLink and inkbird thermostats and havent had any trouble with any of the 4. Got them all on amazon.
    PLEASE make sure any heating devices you have are connected to one. Also, I hope you are checking temps with a temp gun, as the stick on thermometers are wildly innacurate.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Herpstat and Vivarium Electronics (VE) are two of the best brands on the market. They are both super reliable (can last decades) and equipped with life-saving alarm and safety features so that thermostat failure will not kill your snake. They are of course pricier though so a Jumpstart thermostat is a decent starting one, although it lacks the safety features of Herpstat and VE and tends to break more often so they generally need to be replaced every 1-2 years. If you can spare the cash I'd recommend getting a Herpstat or VE right off the bat as that will probably save you money (and give you peace of mind) in the long run, but if not, a Jumpstart will suffice.

Thanks

i'll definitely have to get one of the jumpstart thermostat for now, and i was looking around and stuff and for placement of the probe should be somewhere under the che? i could put it through the top and make a little thing in the screen so it can hang down near the che. i know it isnt safe to put it under the bedding as it can get messed up if a snake gets to it or pees/poops on it. is there any better placement for the probe? ill look more into placement and stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

i'll definitely have to get one of the jumpstart thermostat for now, and i was looking around and stuff and for placement of the probe should be somewhere under the che? i could put it through the top and make a little thing in the screen so it can hang down near the che. i know it isnt safe to put it under the bedding as it can get messed up if a snake gets to it or pees/poops on it. is there any better placement for the probe? ill look more into placement and stuff.
    It should be fine there. That's how probes for RHP's are often set up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

kitt3n (04-17-2020)

Thanks

Great question! You're right that the probe should never be in the snake's bedding. People usually have the probe for overhead heating hang down near/under the CHE from a hole either on the top or on the side of the enclosure. There's a good diagram showing ideal positioning somewhere that I will try to find.

My one piece of advice is to make sure you secure the probe very well wherever you put it, because if the probe gets yanked out and you don't notice it, your CHE may overheat and kill your snake. This happened to me when I had a Jumpstart before I got my Herpstat which has safety features to prevent this situation, and it led to a very scary near-death experience for my BP and a very expensive vet trip (luckily he is okay!).

Thanks

just a little add on, but he's gone over to the warm side now and is chilling in his hide after his meal!! now i just have to wait for the thermostat to arrive! thank you for advice everyone, i had a feeling the temp was too high because it was pretty obvious if he never went over there. but i switched the emitters out like i said and it seems to better now! also, i never responded to anything about feeding and all that, but ill definitely have to weigh him and get him some bigger food as soon as possible.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kitt3n For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2020),dr del (04-19-2020),Luvyna (04-18-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12