Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,850

1 members and 2,849 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: BP Keeps Soaking in His Water Bowl

LOL... It's all good ik what you've meant. It must have been your dogs distracting you

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptile$ 4 Life For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2020)

Thanks

I got the mite spray today. Do you think I should continue to do the baths along with the mite spray or just let the spray do its thing?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,817 Times in 11,840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile$ 4 Life View Post
    I got the mite spray today. Do you think I should continue to do the baths along with the mite spray or just let the spray do its thing?
    I've never had to use that spray, but hopefully that's all you need? Especially if it's supposed to be sprayed ON the animal? (as I said, I'm not familiar with using it or the exact instructions, so follow what it says)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-19-2020 at 05:54 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Reptile$ 4 Life (04-19-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've never had to use that spray, but hopefully that's all you need? Especially if it's supposed to be sprayed ON the animal? (as I said, I'm not familiar with using it or the exact instructions, so follow what it says)
    Sounds good. Thank you for your help. I will do an update in a couple days on whether or not the mites are disappearing.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reptile$ 4 Life For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-19-2020),vivi (04-19-2020)

Thanks

Sounds good. Thank you for your help. I will do an update in a couple days on whether or not the mites are disappearing.
    If you're keeping on white paper towels, you should be finding dead mites...& maybe in & around water bowl too. Fingers crossed!

Thanks

If you're keeping on white paper towels, you should be finding dead mites...& maybe in & around water bowl too. Fingers crossed!
    Yep I have been finding dead mites. I still smash them for good measure though.

He also seems to be doing a lot better, and hasn't soaked in his water for the past two days.
    Last edited by Reptile$ 4 Life; 04-20-2020 at 05:29 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptile$ 4 Life For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-20-2020)

Thanks

Yep I have been finding dead mites. I still smash them for good measure though.

He also seems to be doing a lot better, and hasn't soaked in his water for the past two days.
    Feels good to crush mites, doesn't it? Hoping the mite-fest is behind him now or will be soon...just remember that new ones can hatch out & start up again for about a month as I best recall. So don't rush to put decor back or stop treating too soon.

Can you imagine how it must feel to have itchy biting bugs & no way to scratch or remove them...ugh, poor snakes! (In some areas, wild snakes get lots of ticks & such too.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-20-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks

Yeah... I was planning on keeping him on paper towel set up for at least another week before putting bedding in again, and then wait another couple weeks to put the decor back in.

It must be awful to have mite like that. Although in the wild the can shed to get the mites off and crawl away. In captivity they can't do that. Hopefully this problem is behind us.

Thanks

Yeah... I was planning on keeping him on paper towel set up for at least another week before putting bedding in again, and then wait another couple weeks to put the decor back in.

It must be awful to have mite like that. Although in the wild the can shed to get the mites off and crawl away. In captivity they can't do that. Hopefully this problem is behind us.
    Assuming you're in the U.S.? Snake mites are not native here...they're from imported snakes but then they're shared with all other captive snakes nearby. Ticks can hang on thru a shed, & where mites are native in the wild, I'd assume they just get right back on, even if shedding knocks them off.

I'd wait on the bedding too...any surviving mites can hide lots of eggs in that. If you want more humidity, just use damp paper towels or a sponge in a bowl for a temporary humid hide.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-20-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks

Assuming you're in the U.S.? Snake mites are not native here...they're from imported snakes but then they're shared with all other captive snakes nearby. Ticks can hang on thru a shed, & where mites are native in the wild, I'd assume they just get right back on, even if shedding knocks them off.

I'd wait on the bedding too...any surviving mites can hide lots of eggs in that. If you want more humidity, just use damp paper towels or a sponge in a bowl for a temporary humid hide.
    I didn't know mites weren't native. I guess you really do learn something new every day.

I will wait on the bedding.

It was really funny, after I wiped Flicker down, he started slithering back and forth across the cage. It was like he was parading because the mites were dying!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast