Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,284

1 members and 3,283 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

BP Keeps Soaking in His Water Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile$ 4 Life View Post
    I did the paper towel test and did not see any black spots. Just a few pieces of aspen.
    Ok ... did you use a slightly dampened paper towel or was the snake already damp ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 04-16-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    I dampened the paper towel. Yes, the snake was damp already. I dried him off but I guess that still could have altered the results. I will try again when he is completely dry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptile$ 4 Life For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (04-16-2020)

Thanks

Re: BP Keeps Soaking in His Water Bowl

These were the best I could do. He wasn't being very cooperative, and was more interested in smelling the camera.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

I would love to, but I am new to this and have no idea how. Any chance someone could give me some instructions. I am not the most techy person.
    Me neither... Here's the site "sticky" on the subject:
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

I dampened the paper towel. Yes, the snake was damp already. I dried him off but I guess that still could have altered the results. I will try again when he is completely dry.
    It's fine .. It needs one either the paper to be damp or the snake doesn't matter which really ... Just so any mites will adhere to the White paper .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

So I checked my BP for mites today again, and I found one of the blood sucking critters. What's the best mite treatment to get, and do you guys have any suggestions about how to evict them as quickly as possible?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptile$ 4 Life For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2020)

Thanks
    Aw, that sucks. Canīt give any advice there but best of luck.
    vivi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to vivi For This Useful Post:

Reptile$ 4 Life (04-18-2020)

Thanks
    I'm happy to say I haven't dealt with snake mites for several decades...& while some here use PAM (NOT the cooking spray, PAM stands for "Provent-A-Mite") it can also
    cause harm (even death to your pet) if used incorrectly. I have never used NIX either but it's more readily available (Walmart, Amazon) & used for eradicating lice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So I'm going to quote from the thread "Re: To adopt or not?" > > >
    Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    To add a bit of a different perspective, personally I preemptively treat all new snakes with the Nix mite treatment method. I do not like PAM. You can search for some helpful YouTube videos and info online about the process, but basically you mix one standard size Nix cream bottle into a gallon of water, shake/mix well, and transfer into a spray bottle. You can spray this both on the animal and in the enclosure, no rinsing required.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post

We have successfully eradicated mites with this method and have had 0 issues with mites since beginning to treat all new snakes with this method. Something to possibly consider or keep in your back pocket either for this snake or future additions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bcr229 also did a lengthy post on all the various ways to get rid of mice...now if only I could find it? You could PM her & ask for it...

Bathing your snake (luke-warm water, drop or 2 of mild dish soap like Ivory, 20-30 minutes with your supervision so they don't drink soap water or drown!) will get
    rid of many mites, but some still hide on the head & make a come-back, so some sort of chemical is generally needed.

I can't say how effective this is but many have used it with safety:
    https://www.chewy.com/natural-chemistry-reptile-mite-spray/dp/132115
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-18-2020 at 02:10 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Reptile$ 4 Life (04-18-2020),vivi (04-18-2020)

Thanks
    And that was a typo, btw...I wrote "to get rid of mice" but I meant get rid of MITES! My bad...lol

Thanks

Ah, here it is...from bcr229's post

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...hat-else-to-do
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I wrote this after my second battle with mites for people in the US. While other treatments, such as ivermectin injections and wiping the snakes with
    Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Frontline, do exist, I have not tried them so I've not included them in my own writeup. You can find out about Frontline at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwCAuhSVRV4

Mite Eradication 101:

*** Permethrin ***

Permethrin comes in many forms - Provent-A-Mite (PAM), NIX/RID head lice treatment, Permethrin-10 from a livestock supply store, etc. Once mixed with water its half life is 30 days if kept out of direct sunlight.

PAM has several advantages. It has been tested for use with reptiles, and it comes ready to use. The disadvantages are that it's expensive and most reptile stores don't have it in stock, so you have to wait for it to be shipped to you if you don't have any on hand. Meanwhile the mites are busy feeding and breeding.

NIX/RID is cheaper than PAM and is readily available at WalMart, CVS, and other drug stores. It is also easy to dilute: mix one two ounce (59 ml) bottle of the cream rinse with one gallon of water.

At a dollar per ounce Permethrin-10 is the cheapest of the three options; one eight ounce bottle will make 240 gallons of solution, as only 6 milliliters of it are needed per gallon of water to make an effective mite spray. The upside is that if you have a lot of snakes to treat this will do it very economically. The downside is that it's all too easy to make too strong of a permethrin solution which can seriously injure or kill your snakes.

No matter which product you use, it must be used correctly. I've never applied any permethrin product directly onto my snakes as it's not needed for mite treatment, and permethrin poisoning in a snake can cause irreversible neurological damage or death.

Permethrin use: spray the enclosure, paper substrate, and hides with the diluted solution or PAM. DO NOT SPRAY THE WATER BOWL. Allow everything to dry completely before returning your snake to its home. Also keep a supply of treated and dried newspaper or paper towels and treated hides available so that when a snake makes a mess, you replace the soiled paper and hides with treated ones. Treat the enclosure every two to three weeks.

*** Natural Chemistry Reptile Spray ***

Reptile Spray kills mites on contact while wet, once it dries it loses its effectiveness pretty quickly. Reptile Spray is a solution of salts rather than an insecticide; it kills mites by dehydrating them. I don't spray the snakes as more ends up on the floor than on the snake. Instead, I spray a white paper towel with it and wipe it on the snake. That way you get even coverage on the snake, you can work it into the area under their chin really well as that's a favorite hiding place for mites, you don't stress out your snake, and you can look for mites on the paper towel to see how quickly they're being eradicated. Apply twice a week. Note - this stuff hurts like hell in an open wound.

*** Hot Shot No-Pest Strips ***

Some people take a Hot Shot No-Pest strip, cut it into pieces, put each piece into a small sealed container, poke some holes in the container, and put each container into the snake's enclosure. I've used the No-Pest strip but I just hang it in the snake room and close the door. Either way is effective, especially if you have a major outbreak.

If you do use it, remove the water bowls as the insecticide is strongly attracted to water and you don't want the snake drinking it. After 24 hours remove the strip (or pieces), put them into an airtight container for future use, air out the room, and put the water bowls back. Repeat treatment weekly.

Important! If you also keep tarantulas, feeder roaches/dubias, crickets, etc. do not use the No-Pest Strip as it can kill them too!!!!

*** Mild Dish Soap ***

One or two drops of mild dish detergent in your snake's bath water will break the surface tension and prevent mites from floating in the water so they drown. No more than that is needed, your snake should not look like it is taking a bubble bath.

*** Heat ***

Don't laugh, but a temperature of 135*F for five seconds will kill mites and the eggs. I purchased a heat gun used for stripping paint that can be set to blow hot air from 180*F through 1200*F. Using the heat gun and a temperature gun I heated the surfaces and crevices of my racks and enclosures to kill off any mite eggs that may have been laid outside the tubs. Don't get your enclosure surfaces and joined/glued areas too hot or you can damage them.

Mite treatment should continue for 30 days after you stop finding mites on your snake, as an egg can take that long to hatch.

*** FINAL NOTE ***

Effective quarantine means that you treat every new arrival as if it has mites, and new snakes are kept as far away from your established collection as possible for at least 90 days. I treat the quarantine enclosure, hides, and paper with permethrin a day or so before the new snake arrives, and I wipe it with a paper towel soaked in Reptile Spray as part of my inspection process when it comes out of the shipping box. If it has mites I will know it within a day or two at most. This also goes for snakes from "trusted" sources, my first mite outbreak ever came from someone I trusted.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-18-2020 at 02:39 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Reptile$ 4 Life (04-18-2020)

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast