Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,138

0 members and 3,138 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Children's Pythons

Hi, me again.

I think I've decided I'd like to get a children's python for my first snake. Now, while I am doing research on my own I try to do as much research as POSSIBLE so that I can prevent or be prepared for anything. A few of you have told me about them on my previous thread (thanks again!) and I find that asking people with experience is an awesome way to see what works for the snake.

Now, I want to know EVERYTHING. If i'm gonna get a snake, I gotta know everything about it. (well, not everything, just as much as I feel confident with)
    Feeding, husbandry, temperament, housing, shedding, breeders, life in the wild, lighting, etc...

If you have experience with them or other antaresia (even if it's limited) or sources to read up on, do tell me. Thanks!
    Last edited by vivi; 04-15-2020 at 07:08 PM.
    vivi

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    See my responses in thread: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-or-boas/page3 No time to repeat all info already given.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-15-2020)

Thanks
    Thanks Boger. There's a lot of good info in that thread as well, however this thread is focused on children's pythons.
    vivi

Thanks

Re: Children's Pythons

Quote Originally Posted by vivi View Post
    Thanks Boger. There's a lot of good info in that thread as well, however this thread is focused on children's pythons.
    And I made numerous comments about them specifically in that thread, just not going to repeat them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-15-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    And I made numerous comments about them specifically in that thread, just not going to repeat them.
    Good point.
    Last edited by vivi; 04-15-2020 at 07:47 PM.
    vivi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vivi View Post
    Good point.
    Not saying you won't get more contributions, I hope you do...but I've pretty much already posted all I can tell you about these & didn't want you to think I'm ignoring you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-15-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Not saying you won't get more contributions, I hope you do...but I've pretty much already posted all I can tell you about these & didn't want you to think I'm ignoring you.
    I hear ya. Just hearing some other peoples input.
    vivi

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well you read my previous post about my Bender. Here goes:

If this is your first snake, I don't recommend them because of their aggressive feeding response and nippy as babies. This is more of a snake you get after you worked with a hungry king or woma, so at least you would know how to read their behavior a little better and know what to do when (Not if) you will be mistaken as food or mistaken as a predator. They are also no pushover and will be quick to let you know about that. When they bite, they break skin. And as babies, they will go for your hand repeatedly even if you had not moved. It is just how it is.

They have a powerful grip for a snake their size. I keep a variety of snakes and lizards, and none of them gripped me as tight as Bender and he was just hanging on to me.

For the reasons above, I do not recommend them for kids. They will bite if they decide too and draw blood, repeatedly, and they can tighten their grip on a small child's arm when frightened rather than letting go. I have small nephews and nieces, they can pet my other snakes but Bender. These are not snakes that will enjoy being taken out for public education. Spotted pythons would be a better choice for that.

With that said, a little blood may not deter you, and I hope you don't give up, because anything with a mouth can potentially bite out of fear, hungry or just being a jerk. It is nothing major though. A quick wash and you barely see the damage. So good thing they are no retics. Using a hook helps though.

Once you can accept the above and determined this is what you want, here is the husbandry info:

88-90F hot side. I use UTH with thermostat.
    No cooler than 77-80F preferred. 75F is fine too but try to get around that range.
    They live in a low humid areas in Australia. That means glass tank works best or lots of air holes in tub to get a 20-30% humidity. Try not to go higher than 30%.
    Aspen is a great starting substrate. Babies prefer to burrow.
    They are semi aboreal. Anything they can climb on will be used. A tank with some height is useful for this reason.
    I do not recommend tubs for babies due to the high humidity and their ability to escape. Finding a small escaped snake will be troublesome. I recommend starting out with a 5.5 gallon Zilla Critter cage.
    Even though they climb, they do use hides. So 2 identical hides will work.
    They are more active at night.
    Beautiful rainbow sheen reflected in their scales, piercing eyes and looks like a mini brown retic.
    Humid hide is optional. If they use it, keep using it

As babies, they are on day old pinkies. The breeder should tell you what they are feeding it.
    As adults, they can eat a small mouse.

If you have the money, word from across the pond where some breeders manage to breed some morphs for this species. That is incredibly rare in the States. I don't have a lot of info but worth looking into. A normal CP baby should cost about $75 each.

Lastly, these are very hardy snakes. In light of some minor challenges, Bender is a good snake. They are not mean, and some may be calmer than others. They are like small dogs who thinks they are big dogs lol. And that is what is so great about them in addition to the ease of care. They have a lot of personality and would make a wonderful pet to have.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

aurum (04-17-2020),Bogertophis (04-15-2020),Homebody (11-24-2021),vivi (04-15-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    Well you read my previous post about my Bender. Here goes:

If this is your first snake, I don't recommend them because of their aggressive feeding response and nippy as babies. This is more of a snake you get after you worked with a hungry king or woma, so at least you would know how to read their behavior a little better and know what to do when (Not if) you will be mistaken as food or mistaken as a predator. They are also no pushover and will be quick to let you know about that. When they bite, they break skin. And as babies, they will go for your hand repeatedly even if you had not moved. It is just how it is.

They have a powerful grip for a snake their size. I keep a variety of snakes and lizards, and none of them gripped me as tight as Bender and he was just hanging on to me.

For the reasons above, I do not recommend them for kids. They will bite if they decide too and draw blood, repeatedly, and they can tighten their grip on a small child's arm when frightened rather than letting go. I have small nephews and nieces, they can pet my other snakes but Bender. These are not snakes that will enjoy being taken out for public education. Spotted pythons would be a better choice for that.

With that said, a little blood may not deter you, and I hope you don't give up, because anything with a mouth can potentially bite out of fear, hungry or just being a jerk. It is nothing major though. A quick wash and you barely see the damage. So good thing they are no retics. Using a hook helps though.

Once you can accept the above and determined this is what you want, here is the husbandry info:

88-90F hot side. I use UTH with thermostat.
    No cooler than 77-80F preferred. 75F is fine too but try to get around that range.
    They live in a low humid areas in Australia. That means glass tank works best or lots of air holes in tub to get a 20-30% humidity. Try not to go higher than 30%.
    Aspen is a great starting substrate. Babies prefer to burrow.
    They are semi aboreal. Anything they can climb on will be used. A tank with some height is useful for this reason.
    I do not recommend tubs for babies due to the high humidity and their ability to escape. Finding a small escaped snake will be troublesome. I recommend starting out with a 5.5 gallon Zilla Critter cage.
    Even though they climb, they do use hides. So 2 identical hides will work.
    They are more active at night.
    Beautiful rainbow sheen reflected in their scales, piercing eyes and looks like a mini brown retic.
    Humid hide is optional. If they use it, keep using it

As babies, they are on day old pinkies. The breeder should tell you what they are feeding it.
    As adults, they can eat a small mouse.

If you have the money, word from across the pond where some breeders manage to breed some morphs for this species. That is incredibly rare in the States. I don't have a lot of info but worth looking into. A normal CP baby should cost about $75 each.

Lastly, these are very hardy snakes. In light of some minor challenges, Bender is a good snake. They are not mean, and some may be calmer than others. They are like small dogs who thinks they are big dogs lol. And that is what is so great about them in addition to the ease of care. They have a lot of personality and would make a wonderful pet to have.
    Awesome information. I am willing to work with defensive snakes and a little blood won't deter me- I'm aware snakes have a stronger grip but I´m drawn blood by my feisty cat on a daily basis, I also volunteer at a cat shelter and have had my share of defensive cats, (one gave me a nasty scar under the eye, had to get 5 stitches... Good thing I'm not getting a retic...) I'll get a hook to help limit the feeding response. They seem like very personable snakes, that's kind of what drew me toward them.

That aside, I have some questions. Should I bump up the humidity when they're going into shed? Should I cover any of the tank´s screen lid? I have a 40B tank, the lid has a few holes in it. Should I replace it completely or is there a way to repair it?

Also, I see a lot of variation on the humidity, some sources say as low as possible while I´ve seen some that say 50-60%. Since they´re from Australia i´d suspect they prefer lower humidity...

**ETA** Not super relevant, but one resource said their snake family was Boidae... Can´t believe everything you read.
    Last edited by vivi; 04-15-2020 at 10:28 PM.
    vivi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I would make two recommendations in addition to info I have already shared:

1. Learn about target training. I prefer it to hook training for my Antaresia, but either would be fine. Target training has been an absolutely invaluable tool in moderating the formerly T. Rex-like feeding response of my Stimson's Python. Now he is 100% clear that if he sees no target, no food is forthcoming. As a result, I can do whatever I need to in terms of changing water, spot cleaning, or just taking him out to hold without dealing with feeding-driven bites. For target and station-training snakes, I highly recommend the youtube videos by Lori Torrini. Here's a link to her channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp9...PX3n4UgznGnlwg

The only snakes I have that I would really trust with children are my Ball Python and my Children's Python, but we'll see if that changes once she gets older. For now, she still qualifies as the most serene snake I've ever owned.

2. Get "The Complete Children's Python" by Justin Julander, Nick Mutton, and Peter Birch.
    Last edited by Caitlin; 04-16-2020 at 12:12 AM.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-16-2020),RickyNY (04-16-2020),vivi (04-16-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast