Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,959

4 members and 2,955 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Caitlin, that's really interesting about target training your Children's python. My spotted python has a very strong food response but I have no trouble with her mistaking
    me for food. When I pass by my snakes & they're up, brimming with anticipation, I give them my scent thru the screen top: to be honest I'm talking to them too, usually,
    but obviously they don't hear, lol- it's just my way of saying 'hello'. They all back off with my scent, knowing it's "NOT food". Now going thru the room WITH food, they
    all pay close attention & are ready to pounce, but my snakes appear to have learned that MY scent alone means no food. Sort of the opposite of target training, but it
    works for me.

I got in the habit of identifying myself to snakes many years ago when I often had "temporary house-guests" (snakes removed from property for safety of residents) and
    wanted to reduce their terror every time I had to pass by them...you can't blame a wild creature for fearing the unknown. I noticed in no time that they learned to relax
    and stop rattling (yes, these were rattlesnakes) and were obviously relieved that the "lurking monster" was just "the same ol' familiar one" as before. For any snakes
    that had to remain in captivity, most became quite complacent towards me as something "familiar & harmless" and seldom rattled. Even if my dog ran by and startled
    one, I "took credit" with my scent & the snake would quickly relax. This resulted in them being easier to feed also, as stress (fear) is a big appetite-killer for snakes.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-17-2020)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123