Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,967

2 members and 2,965 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Part frozen rats what should I do

Bit of advice
    so ordered 10 rats today from the rep store they shut at 4:30 so assuming they got them out the freezer as they left they got to my house at about 6 they were part defrosted some more than others but none completely as you can imagine I wasn’t very happy and he was gone before I realized so got them straight on the freezer I’m going to ring them tomorrow and mention my concern I hope they will replace but if not and they say they will be fine. I would like your thoughts if they will they be ok to use.
    I know when they get above 40degrres the bacteria start to multiply (I think that’s right). Just want some opinions. if they were completely thawed I would not use them and would be demanding a new bunch. I don’t want to make a deal out of nothing when I ring them tomorrow as I’m recently new to this. I wouldn’t be so worried if it was some beef or lamb for my own consumption but wouldn’t do it with prawns etc. so a-bit unsure.
    Hope this makes sense
    cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    If they were still ice-cold enough to be partly frozen, I would think they're not likely to be spoiled, & be OK to re-freeze promptly & feed as needed.

If, however, your snake tells you otherwise (be refusing to eat them), you might defer to their expertise on the subject, as I personally have never eaten a rat, lol, spoiled or otherwise. (Seriously, snakes have a very keen nose & most will refuse spoiled rodents.)

The proper temperature of a refrigerator for our use is 40*, & food certainly can spoil at 40* or even less. Basically a freezer should stay about 0* but at that, bacteria is not killed, it just cannot multiply. In between 0* to 40* is a gray zone, so the colder the rats stayed & the longer they stayed that cold, the better (safer). As you said, if it was your food you might not worry so much- and one main difference is that your food is cooked & that kills most (if rare) or all the bacteria (if well done). The other difference is that our food is just "meat", not the whole animal with guts & all that's FULL of bacteria just waiting for a bit more warmth to proliferate. You're right to be concerned.

I'd let the seller know, as this should not have happened, they should have been packed well enough to remain frozen...that's a reasonable expectation on your part.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-15-2020 at 06:50 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alba (04-16-2020)

Thanks

Re: Part frozen rats what should I do

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Bit of advice
    so ordered 10 rats today from the rep store they shut at 4:30 so assuming they got them out the freezer as they left they got to my house at about 6 they were part defrosted some more than others but none completely as you can imagine I wasn’t very happy and he was gone before I realized so got them straight on the freezer I’m going to ring them tomorrow and mention my concern I hope they will replace but if not and they say they will be fine. I would like your thoughts if they will they be ok to use.
    I know when they get above 40degrres the bacteria start to multiply (I think that’s right). Just want some opinions. if they were completely thawed I would not use them and would be demanding a new bunch. I don’t want to make a deal out of nothing when I ring them tomorrow as I’m recently new to this. I wouldn’t be so worried if it was some beef or lamb for my own consumption but wouldn’t do it with prawns etc. so a-bit unsure.
    Hope this makes sense
    cheers

I suggest returning them as early as possible, you received a substandard product.

It sounds like you had the rodents delivered? Whoever delivered the rodents to you should have had an icebox to keep them completely frozen during transportation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PartySnake13 For This Useful Post:

Alba (04-16-2020)

Thanks
    You've got every right to get a refund or return them. If you're buying frozen rodents, you should always have the expectation that they arrive frozen.
    vivi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to vivi For This Useful Post:

Alba (04-16-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

If they were still partially frozen I think you'll be fine. You might want to consider another supplier or ordering online going forward.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Alba (04-16-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If they were still ice-cold enough to be partly frozen, I would think they're not likely to be spoiled, & be OK to re-freeze promptly & feed as needed.

If, however, your snake tells you otherwise (be refusing to eat them), you might defer to their expertise on the subject, as I personally have never eaten a rat, lol, spoiled or otherwise. (Seriously, snakes have a very keen nose & most will refuse spoiled rodents.)

The proper temperature of a refrigerator for our use is 40*, & food certainly can spoil at 40* or even less. Basically a freezer should stay about 0* but at that, bacteria is not killed, it just cannot multiply. In between 0* to 40* is a gray zone, so the colder the rats stayed & the longer they stayed that cold, the better (safer). As you said, if it was your food you might not worry so much- and one main difference is that your food is cooked & that kills most (if rare) or all the bacteria (if well done). The other difference is that our food is just "meat", not the whole animal with guts & all that's FULL of bacteria just waiting for a bit more warmth to proliferate. You're right to be concerned.

I'd let the seller know, as this should not have happened, they should have been packed well enough to remain frozen...that's a reasonable expectation on your part.
    Thanks for reply
    also she has been fed only on mice up to now so this next feed would be her first rat so possibly could refuse feed anyway even though she is a fantastic eater so If she does refuse I couldn’t be 100% sure that she’s Just not ate it because of the change. I’m going to call store and ask for some new FROZEN rats. Thanks again for helping me make my mind up and saving me some stress if she decides to turn her nose up at it

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alba For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-16-2020)